Rant & Rave Season 8 [Spoilers]: When you are cool like a cucumber, as evil as the mother of madness, but never as perfect as the pet!

The Fattest Leech

12 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

Arya killing the NK could have worked if they had made it believable, but this episode was shot really badly.  It was too dark, the battle formations were ridiculous, the named characters should have died at least 10 times each, but their enormous plot armor kept saving them, while the redshirts kept dying for no reason (as if we were supposed to care for them).  And then the NK, who was supposed to be the existential threat for the entire known world, dies easily as if he's the villain of the week.

This was really bad television and I can't believe the die-hards are not willing to admit it.

There will be a time when people will realize that 99% of this episode was pure garbage.

The ww don t participate in the fight? the only giant we see is killed by lyanna because he decides to get her close to his eye for unknown reasons? the NK does nothing? we can t fucking see the dragons fighting why? There are wights in a library in complete silence with a batle just outsider why? jorah has khaleesi danger sense how (he knows she is in danger before she is in danger)?

I think it would be an interesting game to try to find good logical parts in this ep...

2 minutes ago, divica said:

I think that now is safe to say most people hated the ep and as time passes will hate it more. We are talking about an ep that should have 9.9 in imdb and at the moment has 8.8. IT would be a bit low for a normal episode, but for what should be the greatest episode of the series it is just awfull. I have no idea how the people in HBO let the produce this shit… I think anyone with half a brain should be able to see how this episode ruins their series… It just makes a lot of the series unreawatchable...

In a normal world their career in great projects should be over for a long while. In our world they are going to direct SW...

The only reason it has 8.8 is because thousands of die-hards had given the episode a 10/10 even before the episode had aired.  IMDB shouldn't be counting votes until the episode has aired.  Only a couple of days ago it was at 9.9 and it has been dropping steadily since.  My guess is that it will continue dropping and end up being one of the lowest rated episodes ever.

Just now, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

The only reason it has 8.8 is because thousands of die-hards had given the episode a 10/10 even before the episode had aired.  IMDB shouldn't be counting votes until the episode has aired.  Only a couple of days ago it was at 9.9 and it has been dropping steadily since.  My guess is that it will continue dropping and end up being one of the lowest rated episodes ever.

It can t lower much more. There are too many people that voted 10. I think the lowest it can get is between 8.5 and 8.7. Which is a huge failure for the episode given that it was meant to be the best ep so far...

Another interesting consequence will be the audience and rating of ep 4. I think both will be pretty low for the standard of the series.

And it kind of makes this season the worst rated one so far...

2 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

After that episode I've been skimming random chapters of ASOIAF. The chasm between the books and the show is immense: they're completely different things in every way. I feel like nothing that makes ASOIAF what it is even remains now. I honestly feel embarassed a bit for B&W and how they've bungled their adaptation. 

Yes, that's why personally I don't harbour any prejudice against the new series about The Long Night. They are not involved in it, so I'm not immediately assuming it'll be a disaster although I do see that we'll all be going 'Get some kid to stick the NK with the pointy end!' No, the origin stories are my favourite part of ASOIAF so I'm still glad someone's making it.

I confess my mind has gone into some strange zone for last season, since the first episode. For me the show jumped the shark already in s5 with that Brienne fight in the RL and LF riding Sansa north to be wed to Ramsay. I ranted and ranted and s7 was just absolute crap, except for the battle with the Dothraki and the dragons. The dialogue has gone down the drain so much that d&d don't even make the effort anymore (except when they do it's to praise effing Tyrion). They should go in silent movie business (which is non-existent). 

The weird thing is that I actually have enjoyed this season more than s5-s7, and it's because I absolutely expect the worst story before watching an episode.... but they can't even do that, as they don't even tell a story anymore at all, and I don't believe anything they show is even remotely book story since s7. I never watch stuff just for the jingling of the keys, but somehow I manage it now.

I even admit I'm honeypotting stuff in my head. So, Jon imo was shouting "goooooo! gooo! go!" to Arya instead of Viserion. It's still crap writing though if he did, because a) either I have to honeypot that or b) just shows how they managed to film a pilot once without the audience realising Jaime and Cersei were siblings.

When this is done, I wil never ever watch anything those two touch not for the life of me.

4 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

We should draw a petition.

Has a petition ever had any effect in show business?

However it would be hilarious if D&D were the first to do something so bad that a petition actually worked. I think a lot of people in this forum would celebrate.

My friend got me a Johnnie Walker - White Walker as a gift a few months ago.

https://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/Johnnie_Walker_Readies_Game_of_Thrones_Whisky

He told me it was limited edition ... so I kept it on display on my whiskey shelf (along with the fancier stuff) and vowed never to open & drink it.

After GOT S08E03 and how cheaply the Night King was finished, I may just throw that bottle into the trash. I won't even drink it out of embarrassment.

2 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

https://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/Johnnie_Walker_Readies_Game_of_Thrones_Whisky

He told me it was limited edition ... so I kept it on display on my whiskey shelf (along with the fancier stuff) and vowed never to open & drink it.

After GOT S08E03 and how cheaply the Night King was finished, I may just throw that bottle into the trash. I won't even drink it out of embarrassment.

Are you insane? Soon you’ll need all the alcohol you can get: Star Wars is comming!

3 hours ago, hewman said:

Are you insane? Soon you’ll need all the alcohol you can get: Star Wars is comming!

Much sooner than that, we still have 3 90min long episodes to go! :lol:

Ah, so, I've saved up one Rant and I'm not certain I've seen this one addressed as yet. 

I can't be the only one that wants to know:  Why does Rhaegal have friggin red frills?  That confused the hell out of me.  It's bad enough how hard it was to tell one dragon from the other thanks to all the darkness (thank the gods for the blue flame, I guess?), but I still don't understand why all the sudden Rhaegal was supporting red frills?  I think I finally have the time today to do that rewatch.  Let's see if it looks...........better or worse?  hahahahaha 

Honestly, though, I remember one of the stills for the episode showing Jon near a dragon with red frills, so I thought it had to be Drogon.  But no, poor Rhaegal, just like Ghost, he's an after thought.  Everything Jon touches, huh?  Dany should be careful then, she'll be the next thing the Ds don't give a shit about. 

9 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

The proper way to get rid of a bottle of Johnnie Walker White Walker edition is to watch the last episode with it in hand and take a drink every time you see something stupid.  It'll be gone in no time.

Be careful of alcohol poisoning.  You may want to do this in several sessions.

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

I'm fairly certain I've not seen the blacknerdproblems review of episode 3 yet, thank you. 

I'm off to read it, see what they think. 

ETA:  I'm still reading, and I love the blacknerdproblems site, but damn, this show does not deserve a What's in the box, John Doe, what's in the box? reference. 

pss.  Nothing ruins a good movie line like remembering who the line may refer to, one fucked up Kevin Spacey, damn. 

That was utter garbage. I haven't posted here in ages, but was lurking around and found my log-in specifically to say how utterly and thoroughly disappointed I am.

Yes, I get it is a different thing. But can we even truly say "adaptation" anymore? I get that it is strictly true. However, adaptation implies SOME fidelity and guidance from source material. As others have pointed out (here and elsewhere else, and with a weariness that only watching something you love get destroyed can truly inspire) the comparison of the product with strong book guidance and canonically based work versus without that infrastructure is night and day. It honestly is pure fan-fiction at this point and it is overly kind to call it adaptation.

Just abjectly horrible. I wasn't surprised by the actual end result simply because the nature of the season necessarily telegraphed certain sequencing and plot direction, but it felt cheap, disingenuous, self-castrating and shallowly conceived. Not even Arya, that isn't even the gripe. Not even JUST the idiocy of having a cavalry charge into the dark. Not even the "inside the episode" bit where one of the two idiots says something like "who would have thougt that Dany would abandon the plan after seeing the Dothraki slaughtered" and my response that FUCKING EVERYBODY IN THE DAMN WORLD, THAT'S WHO! (not to mention the implicit admission that the dothraki charge was the plan and not simply a "dothraki screamers LEEROOOY JENKINSS" moment. The military tactics were cringey, which I imagine Martin- scholar that he is- absolutely HATED. The previous two episodes (and really, hours and hours of backstory) were useless. It was shite. Pretty at times, and probably okay if you don't think about it. But that is the problem, GRRM created something that demands thoughtful engagement and rewards the reader for it. But I could forgive any one episode, or even arc, but that isn't it either.

No, the ultimate gripe is that D&D have shown a nearly pathological inability to 1) write dialogue, 2) follow THEIR OWN PLOT, 3) Write a plot or progression worth a damn in the first place (perhaps this is why 2 fails, 4) add anything good or substantive to the world and experience. In the end, it is the juxtaposition of those failings with the source material's utter and entrancing aplomb in basically all of those elements that makes me bitter. Couple that with a realization that this might be the only "official" ending we ever actually see presented and I'm probably more upset than any TV should make me. Which isn't a lot, but I'm uncharacteristically grumpy about it. 

On 5/3/2019 at 5:56 PM, Lady Fevre Dream said:

:)))) “Pomade Jesus really looked like he was sleeping in class and got called on fam. Jon gonna be asking to borrow someone’s notes after this meeting is over.”

I guess the fear of loosing those gorgeous locks is the reason why he’s ducking Viserion.  He could end up bald but otherwise he shouldn’t be afraid of fire being a Targaryen and all, unlike Viserys and that Martell dude who wanted to see if dragons like him, I can’t remember his name, let’s call him prince Toast..

On 5/3/2019 at 2:17 PM, Demetri said:

No, the ultimate gripe is that D&D have shown a nearly pathological inability to 1) write dialogue, 2) follow THEIR OWN PLOT, 3) Write a plot or progression worth a damn in the first place (perhaps this is why 2 fails, 4) add anything good or substantive to the world and experience. In the end, it is the juxtaposition of those failings with the source material's utter and entrancing aplomb in basically all of those elements that makes me bitter. Couple that with a realization that this might be the only "official" ending we ever actually see presented and I'm probably more upset than any TV should make me. Which isn't a lot, but I'm uncharacteristically grumpy about it. 

This.

George R.R. Martin should be proud. The only reason why the show continues to have traction after all of the mistakes the showrunners have made is because of the strength of GRRM's writing and visionary abilities.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:17 PM, Demetri said:

This.

They didn't get such a success because they're good scriptwriters - I mean, it's not as if they have a worthy record apart from GOT -, they got such a successful series because they were the ones gutsy enough to try to make the books into a TV series.

We already knew they hated Stannis and butchered his part and his ending. Now we have the absolute certainty that they hate the Others and butchered their ending as well.

There is a reason why I stopped buying the DVDs after Season 3. Already by Season 4, they did the braindead "Let's go beyond the Wall again to kill off the traitors who killed Mormont" and the even more brainded "Let's have Ironmen try to rescue Theon from the Dreadfort".

Archived