Dangling plot lines/characters from FaB

Lord Varys

There are Alys Rivers and *Jon Snow*, of course, Unwin Peake and Clarice Osgrey, the fate of the last dragons, and a few other things.

But there are certain little details, too. Ser Damon Darry's short appearance may have been our first glimpse at the Demon of Darry, one of the most famous Lord Commanders of the Kingsguard. Lucas Lothston taking over as master-at-arms of the KG this early also was a surprise to me.

A thing nobody has mentioned to me at this point which has both an an ominous and an insidious vibe to it is Grand Maester Munkun's suggestion to Lord Manderly to name Maester Rowley the new Lord Confessor. The ominousness only comes through if we recall what has been repeatedly said about what healers also can do...

For Lord Confessor, Manderly tapped Maester Rowley, a fresh-faced youth newly arrived from Oldtown, where he had studied under Archmaester Sandeman, reputedly the wisest healer in the history of Westeros. It was Grand Maester Munkun who urged that Rowley be appointed. “A man who knows how to ease pain will also know how to inflict it,” he told the Hand, “but it is also important that we have a Lord Confessor who sees his work as duty, not pleasure.”

If any of the remaining/future Targaryen dragons grew sick and twisted and die in the Dragonpit and the Red Keep then I think the good and caring hands of Lord Confessor Rowley will play a huge role in all that. Especially if it turned out that Aegon III is going to fire Grand Maester Munkun due to his performance during the Regency. This guy can work under the radar the way a Grand Maester could not.

The stormy marriage would prove to be the one made on Dragonstone (Alyn and Baela), as the years would prove.

Something happened between them, which might be related to Alyn's multiple lovers.

Within moments of taking the governance of the Seven Kingdoms into his own hands, King Aegon III had made an enemy of a man who had been amongst his most leal and devoted servants.

I thought the conflict would last years, but according to the MUSH, Torrhen Manderly died only 3 years later.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Ever since I read the World book, after TPATQ, I was personally convinced that "Fake-Daeron" who shows up later in the Regency of Aegon III, is actually the bastard son of Aemond Targaryen with Alys Rivers.  And that he'll probably ride the Cannibal.

It's called "Chekov's Gun" people!

That is actually not very likely. For one, Daeron the Daring is about 15 years older than Aemond's son. Assuming a fifteen-year-old youth is going to be mistaken for thirty-year-old man doesn't make much sense. That would be the same as if Varys and Illyrio were trying to make people believe that a toddler were Rhaegar's son - in 300 AC.

In addition, Alys Rivers claims that she was Aemond Targaryen's lawful wife, making her son Aegon II's rightful heir and the true king. If that story were true, he would have a better claim than Daeron the Daring could ever hope to have - regardless whether he is the real deal or a fake.

And in light of the fact that George actually decided not to marry Aemond to his Baratheon girl makes this a very interesting story. An unwed Aemond could wed Alys without causing any polygamy scandal and chances are very likely that he actually did that. Especially after he learned she was carrying his child.

Aemond's son is basically the first 'Jon Snow' of history. And the fact that he obviously failed and the pretender and false king Aegon III apparently prevailed makes this entire thing rather interesting...

On 12/16/2018 at 2:18 PM, zionius said:

Something happened between them, which might be related to Alyn's multiple lovers.

I'm inclined to believe that the paramour who supposedly wrote one of the books that are cited is from a later period, after Lady Baela's (untimely?) death (very likely in childbirth). But I'm pretty sure Alyn will have repeated affairs during his six voyages. Perhaps not on all of them since Baela may actually accompany him for some.

Archived