Just an observation...

Lady Rhodes

I went back and reread some of the pre-dance with dragons threads.  I think we all should because it made me realize a) how tinfoil we all can be at times, b) how wrong we can all be at times, which is why c) we should all be respectful, politely discuss and not outright dismiss other people's thoughts because...GASP! they could be right.

Just a friendly thought and reminder :) 

2 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I went back and reread some of the pre-dance with dragons threads.  I think we all should because it made me realize a) how tinfoil we all can be at times, b) how wrong we can all be at times, which is why c) we should all be respectful, politely discuss and not outright dismiss other people's thoughts because...GASP! they could be right.

Why, what sort of things where people theorizing?  

@King Aegon I Targaryen  The three main ones that stuck out to me:
1. Whether Dany and Quentyn were going to get married
2. Whether Melisandre was evil or not
3. Whether Barristan would die

To be sure, I am not saying that we can't or shouldn't disagree or that these topics weren't worthy of discussion. But sometimes people can be downright rude! We can all be wrong sometimes, even if we try to use textual evidence to support our points.

7 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

Ooh, that's a good idea. I think I'll try that. Did this forum existing before Storm? It would be interesting to see if anyone theorized that Littlefinger and Lysa actually killed Jon Arryn only to get flamed because all of the "evidence" proved that Martin clearly wanted us to think otherwise.

7 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

You should direct this to the R + L = J believers.  They need to open their minds to other possibilities.  Possibilities that are more likely, in my opinion, to be correct.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

Ooh, that's a good idea. I think I'll try that. Did this forum existing before Storm? It would be interesting to see if anyone theorized that Littlefinger and Lysa actually killed Jon Arryn only to get flamed because all of the "evidence" proved that Martin clearly wanted us to think otherwise.

Earlier iterations of this forum, such as the Eesite and EzBoard, existed. There's a partial archive of Eesite as it was abandoned here, and in fact there's part of a thread about Jon Arryn's killer. You'll get a sense of the tenor of our discussions there.

26 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

You should direct this to the R + L = J believers.  They need to open their minds to other possibilities.  Possibilities that are more likely, in my opinion, to be correct.

Yeah, like B+A=J! It makes loads mor- *laughs* Sorry I couldn’t get through that with a straight face :P

On a serious note, I think even now things can be pretty tinfoily at times. We’ve just been left to our own devices for too long.

46 minutes ago, Ran said:

Earlier iterations of this forum, such as the Eesite and EzBoard, existed. There's a partial archive of Eesite as it was abandoned here, and in fact there's part of a thread about Jon Arryn's killer. You'll get a sense of the tenor of our discussions there.

several people believed it was lysa and baelish… It would be much funnier if there were some absurd theories there...

Is there any old theory that makes a lot of sense but has been proven to be completly wrong? (ignoring famous theories that people still talk about today like joff's death and bran's stabing)

1 hour ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

I believe R + L = J but I also think that is just the tip of the ToJ iceberg.

I have certainly been tin foily at times and I think it is natural for wheel spinning to occur with a series such as this. I just think being respectful is important :) @Randoes a great job with this forum along with others!

Just now, Lady Rhodes said:

I believe R + L = J but I also think that is just the tip of the ToJ iceberg

I don't.  Naturally, I will argue against those who present that theory as just as you would argue against those who present Brandon + Ashara = Jon; Brandon + Lyanna = Jon, Mance + Lyanna = Jon, etc.  

2 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

I don't.  Naturally, I will argue against those who present that theory as just as you would argue against those who present Brandon + Ashara = Jon; Brandon + Lyanna = Jon, Mance + Lyanna = Jon, etc.  

I am open to hearing your theories! :) please share!

Just now, Lady Rhodes said:

I don’t recall reading one of yours before. If there is a current one ongoing, I’d love to take a look.

also, @Ran I really enjoyed that link! Great stuff

I'm in the middle of another discussion.  Check out the thread on Ned, Robert, and Jon.  Whether they were the villains during the rebellion.  

15 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

@King Aegon I Targaryen  The three main ones that stuck out to me:
1. Whether Dany and Quentyn were going to get married
2. Whether Melisandre was evil or not
3. Whether Barristan would die

To be sure, I am not saying that we can't or shouldn't disagree or that these topics weren't worthy of discussion. But sometimes people can be downright rude! We can all be wrong sometimes, even if we try to use textual evidence to support our points.

None of those seem anywhere near as tin-folly a season our current crop of High Sparrow is Howland Reed, Rhaegar and Rhaella = Dany, etc. Ah for simpler times

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

None of those seem anywhere near as tin-folly a season our current crop of High Sparrow is Howland Reed, Rhaegar and Rhaella = Dany, etc. Ah for simpler times

Those aren’t tinfoil as much as examples of people debating and being so sure in their beliefs that they resort to being rude when someone feels differently. Certainly not all people of course

16 hours ago, divica said:

Is there any old theory that makes a lot of sense but has been proven to be completly wrong? (ignoring famous theories that people still talk about today like joff's death and bran's stabing)

I remember reading a very persuasive theory about Val and Dalla being probable sisters of Rickard Stark's wife, mother of Brandon, Ned, Lyanna & Benjen. It had to do with details of the snow bear hides used to make Mance's tent and the weirwood brooch, I think. I remember thinking it all made sense and then GRRM revealed that Lady Stark had come from a minor branch of House Stark and the whole theory was pretty much debunked. I don't know how to find the old, archived thread, though. I wish the search function in this group would pull up archived material, but I guess they had to draw a line somewhere. 

Archived