Fake Aegon, Real Aegon, and Quentyn Martell

Platypus Rex

20 hours ago, Nevets said:

"So, Doran does a swap because his wife throws a fit about his being fostered?  Somehow, I doubt that Doran is the type to care much about that kind of thing."

Doran says outright, to Arianne, that he cares about that kind of thing.  Is he lying?  I would not put it past him.  But I don't see how you get to shoot down something directly supported by the text merely by ASSUMING the opposite.  "Somehow, I doubt …" is not an argument.

Even profoundly evil people often love wife and children.  But even if Doran does not care a jot for Mellario's feelings, and has no feelings of his own for his own son, he still cannot operate completely alone.  He has need of allies and operatives, and Mellario might be one of the allies/operatives he needs.

Also, this is only one of three motives I mentioned in my theory.

"And how did he get this substitute anyway?  How did he get away from KL and into the hands of Doran?"

We have seen children smuggled out of King's Landing, during political upheavals, before.  There is more than one way to achieve this, and we do not need to know all the details.  Varys says it happened, and it is obviously not impossible to smuggle babies.  As Doran points out, high-born children look just like low-born children.  And of course, once Baby Aegon is safely smuggled OUT of KL, his next of kin, who has the power and resources to hide and protect him, is certainly a logical person to smuggle him TO.

I don't think much of the style of argument that makes countless unreasonable demands for facts not in evidence.  That is not an argument.  If you want a complete connected narrative, you will have to wait until GRRM gives you one.

"And he's been hanging around for 3 years and nobody notices his sudden absence?"

What are you even talking about?  If Doran had Baby Aegon, he would obviously give him the most unremarkable secret identity possible, and hold him in the most low-key circumstances possible.  Almost any explanation for the sudden disappearance of such an inconsequential person would suffice.

"By the way, given Martin's penchant for dropping subtle clues,,if Mellario's appearance mattered to the story, I would have expected it to have been mentioned by now.  Given that it hasn't, I see no reason to believe that she would have been able to pass on (non-existent) Targ features to her son."

I don't see what gives you the right to demand specific clues from GRRM.  You'll just have to make do with the clues he gives you.   Lack of knowledge is not evidence.  It is just an argument from ignorance.

Not that there have not been (subtle) hints as to what Mellario's appearance might be.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:52 PM, Clegane'sPup said:

That has nothing to do with whether Quent got roasted, toasted or charred or whether Quent was the body lying in the bed.

Maybe not.  But something is going on.

Barristan sends Arch and Gerris on a mission to Tatters.  Arch and Gerris have a secret, that they refuse to discuss in front of Barristan and the reader.  Later, the besiegers get mad at Tatters for some reason. 

3 hours ago, Sophia [email protected] said:

I think that Aegon is not Blackfyre but (maybe) he is the Nephew or grandnephew of Aegon IV (Unlikely) Sisters. Nephew Aegon had two sisters who marry off to Nobles.

"The Unlikely" would be Aegon V.  He had 2 sisters, who had children, whose fates are unknown.  The Summerhall tragedy might explain a lot though.  Especially as Aemon's reference suggests his sisters, and their children, are dead.

Such heritage would not explain the support of the Golden Company.  Why would they break contract for a descendant of Egg's sister?  Unless such a descendant married a Blackfyre.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 4:04 PM, Platypus Rex said:

Does it matter if Young Griff is not the real Aegon?  After all, he seems to have been raised to THINK he is Aegon.  And he seems like he might be a semi-decent kid.

You're right, it shouldn't matter, just like Jon being raised a Stark makes him a Stark. It's also very hard to find someone who is cool with incest and dragons and Targaryen pride. Dany should be lucky that there is someone who thinks the same things she does and was raised with a similar goal in mind.

My 2 cents on Aegon: I do think he's Illyrio and Serra's bastard. The fact that Aegon's fake father has greyscale and that his real mother died of it is definitely one clue that could point to this.

Archived