Aegon III is my new favourite Targaryen character

Canon Claude

Keep in mind I don’t say that because I think he is a great man or a great king. After reading “Fire and Blood,” Aegon the Unhappy is easily the most fascinating king ever to sit the Iron Throne. His very tragic backstory and his time during the regency made for incredible reading. Imagine being guarded and served by the man who held you back from watching your mother get eaten alive by a dragon? Marston Waters was lucky that Aegon didn’t physically attack him even once (sorry for the mild spoilers there)

In any case though, I so badly wish to get a sequel to Fire and Blood so we can read more about Aegon the Broken King. Has George said that he’d write that sequel?

7 minutes ago, Bernie Mac said:

Favourite chapters of the book, but I much prefer his sisters, brother and brother-in-law to Aegon. 

Certainly they’re more likeable characters but Aegon is far more interesting to read about. He’s basically an amalgamation of all the interesting parts of Arya Stark and Stannis Baratheon. He’s a child who grew up way too cruelly in childhood, was forced to watch his mother die horribly, and suddenly found himself not only the king, but also served by men who actively fought against him and tried to kill him several times. How could anyone ever bounce back from that? The fact that he didn’t kill himself is a minor miracle as far as I’m concerned. But he isn’t all brooding either. The instant he comes of age, he makes it so clear that he is done with people telling him what to do and he does it in such a spiteful and cold way, against a former black supporter of all people! His reign is no doubt going to make for a hell of a read. What kind of relationship does he have with Queen Daenaera? Or his wildly different sons? How much did Viserys do? What was Aegon’s court like? So many great scenarios, and I’m almost more eager for the Fire and Blood sequel than I am for Winds of Winter! 

Just now, Canon Claude said:

Certainly they’re more likeable characters but Aegon is far more interesting to read about. He’s basically an amalgamation of all the interesting parts of Arya Stark and Stannis Baratheon. He’s a child who grew up way too cruelly in childhood, was forced to watch his mother die horribly, and suddenly found himself not only the king, but also served by men who actively fought against him and tried to kill him several times. How could anyone ever bounce back from that? The fact that he didn’t kill himself is a minor miracle as far as I’m concerned. But he isn’t all brooding either. The instant he comes of age, he makes it so clear that he is done with people telling him what to do and he does it in such a spiteful and cold way, against a former black supporter of all people! His reign is no doubt going to make for a hell of a read. 

Baela's bio is just as interesting

Born in Pentos to Laena and a fugitive Prince

Mother dies. her father marries the heir of the throne, she is betrothed to the heir of the heir; she, like her mother and grandmother was a Queen who never was.

Dance of the Dragons sees her suffer the same fate as Aegon, but she actually plays an active role being involved in one of the last dragon fights and perhaps ensuring that Aegon II would not last as king as his, pyrrhic. victory, sees both him and his dragon become lame. 

Kept as hostage by Aegon II ready to be beheaded if her grandfather did not surrender/keep the peace

After Aegon's assassination it was Baela, her sister, Black Aly, Jeyne Arryn and the 'three widows' who brought peace rather than another 2 years of war

When the Regents were unimpressed with Aegon and wanted her married off and producing sons as options against Aegon it was Baela who took that option away from them (preventing yet more potential wars). 

She and her sister foiled by Peake's plan by influencing Aegon to pick her ward/cousin over Peake's daughter. 

I wouldn't say he's my favourite Targaryen character. I find Rhaenyra just as tragic a figure as her son, honestly. Same with Rhaena Targaryen. In terms of defiance and sticking it to the system, I always liked reading about the Rogue Prince. 

I do agree that the chapters on Aegon III in Fire and Blood were fascinating, but I think that this was the most interesting part of his life. Aegon III is just going to become a brooder and not much else. The only thing I'm really curious about concerning him is the fact that his kids were so different from him and so different from each other. What was going on there? How did they deal with him being such a traumatized guy who couldn't even stand being touched? Were they closer to Viserys? And where did Daeron get his massive ego and warlike spirit from? Certainly not from his parents or uncle, they all grew up in the shadow of a devastating war, so why would they want another one?

After Aegon III, we get the really interesting monarchs in the history of House Targaryen as far as I'm concerned. The boy-warrior Daeron I, the holy fool Baelor, the monstrous glutton Aegon IV, Daeron II vs. the Black Dragon, Aegon the Unlikely, and Aerys the Mad King. These guys will make the sequel even better than the first Fire and Blood

On 12/14/2018 at 7:30 AM, Canon Claude said:

Certainly they’re more likeable characters but Aegon is far more interesting to read about. He’s basically an amalgamation of all the interesting parts of Arya Stark and Stannis Baratheon. He’s a child who grew up way too cruelly in childhood, was forced to watch his mother die horribly, and suddenly found himself not only the king, but also served by men who actively fought against him and tried to kill him several times. How could anyone ever bounce back from that? The fact that he didn’t kill himself is a minor miracle as far as I’m concerned. But he isn’t all brooding either. The instant he comes of age, he makes it so clear that he is done with people telling him what to do and he does it in such a spiteful and cold way, against a former black supporter of all people! His reign is no doubt going to make for a hell of a read. What kind of relationship does he have with Queen Daenaera? Or his wildly different sons? How much did Viserys do? What was Aegon’s court like? So many great scenarios, and I’m almost more eager for the Fire and Blood sequel than I am for Winds of Winter! 

Let's keep that last part on the hush hush.  If GRRM hears people say that he may very well decide to write part 2 and put WoW away for another 5 years.  Although he recently said that he will finish books 6 and 7, so maybe he said that because 6 is practically done and will be out soon.  That's my my hope anyway.  But yeah, it was a good read but nowhere near as important as ASOIAF.  There are still way too many questions that need to be answered in the primary series.  Even if WoW is a pretty bad book, as long as many questions get answered it will be well worth it

12 minutes ago, The Piper Report said:

Let's keep that last part on the hush hush.  If GRRM hears people say that he may very well decide to write part 2 and put WoW away for another 5 years.  Although he recently said that he will finish books 6 and 7, so maybe he said that because 6 is practically done and will be out soon.  That's my my hope anyway.  But yeah, it was a good read but nowhere near as important as ASOIAF.  There are still way too many questions that need to be answered in the primary series.  Even if WoW is a pretty bad book, as long as many questions get answered it will be well worth it

GRRM will finish Winds of Winters when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. I fear I might not live up to this moment if it ever happen. 

1 minute ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

GRRM will finish Winds of Winters when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. I fear I might not live up to this moment if it ever happen. 

I have a feeling it will be out next year or early 2020.  I posted why in a few different threads so I probably wont post them here; it will be kind of off topic too.  But I do think we will see it in 2019 or early 2020.  I'm hoping for 2019 though, of course

Just now, The Piper Report said:

I have a feeling it will be out next year or early 2020.  I posted why in a few different threads so I probably wont post them here; it will be kind of off topic too.  But I do think we will see it in 2019 or early 2020.  I'm hoping for 2019 though, of course

He is "almost done" with this book for over three years. Don't get your expectations very high.

To not spam with offtopic, I wanted to ask a question to everyone:

Did anyone made list of all knights of the kingsguard that served under Aegon III during his regency?

I have counted: Willis Fell, Regis Groves, Marston Waters, Mervyn Flowers, Amaury Peake, Raynard Ruskyn, Edmund Warrick, Dennis Whitfield and Agramore Cobb.

There are still holes in it and we don't even know full squad of the Kingsguard when Aegon III dismissed his regents (Ruskyn, Warrick, Whitfield, Cobb). Did anyone remember if there were any other white cloaks mentioned?

Archived