Jon x Ghost

Starkz

Any theories/ideas on how Jon was able to hear Ghost despite all the distance and commotion plus the fact that Ghost is mute? 

Halfway across the bridge, Jon pulled up suddenly.

“What is it, Jon?” their lord father asked.

“Can’t you hear it?”

Bran could hear the wind in the trees, the clatter of their hooves on the ironwood planks, the whimpering of his hungry pup, but Jon was listening to something else.

“There,” Jon said. He swung his horse around and galloped back across the bridge. They watched him dismount where the direwolf lay dead in the snow, watched him kneel. A moment later he was riding back to them, smiling.

“He must have crawled away from the others,” Jon said.

“Or been driven away,” their father said, looking at the sixth pup. His fur was white, where the rest of the litter was grey. His eyes were as red as the blood of the ragged man who had died that morning. Bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind.

Ghost isn't entirely mute. He does snarl and growl IIRC, so it might be safe to assume that he whimpered like any puppy when he was small.

His eyes were as red as the blood of the ragged man who had died that morning. Bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind.

This indicates to me that Bloodraven is/could be responsible for the dead direwolf getting south of the wall and that he possibly whispered to Jon, who thought he heard a whimper, about the presence of Ghost.

Of course my favorite theory is that Ghost just warg-licked Jon's ear.

6 minutes ago, Trefayne said:

Ghost isn't entirely mute. He does snarl and growl IIRC, so it might be safe to assume that he whimpered like any puppy when he was small.

It would be hard to hear a whimper from such a far distance and with all the noise from the horses and what not. Jon was the only one who heard Ghost so I do like the theory of someone whispering to Jon to go back.

1 hour ago, Starkz said:

It would be hard to hear a whimper from such a far distance and with all the noise from the horses and what not. Jon was the only one who heard Ghost so I do like the theory of someone whispering to Jon to go back.

It does seem likely. Otherwise why would GRRM make such a point of keeping Ghost apart and open-eyed when he could have just as easily kept him bundled with the rest? Ghost was apart and aware. That has to be more than just a metaphor for Jon's differences to his half-siblings (cousins).

On 12/14/2018 at 11:25 AM, Starkz said:

Any theories/ideas on how Jon was able to hear Ghost despite all the distance and commotion plus the fact that Ghost is mute? 

Halfway across the bridge, Jon pulled up suddenly.

“What is it, Jon?” their lord father asked.

“Can’t you hear it?”

Bran could hear the wind in the trees, the clatter of their hooves on the ironwood planks, the whimpering of his hungry pup, but Jon was listening to something else.

“There,” Jon said. He swung his horse around and galloped back across the bridge. They watched him dismount where the direwolf lay dead in the snow, watched him kneel. A moment later he was riding back to them, smiling.

“He must have crawled away from the others,” Jon said.

“Or been driven away,” their father said, looking at the sixth pup. His fur was white, where the rest of the litter was grey. His eyes were as red as the blood of the ragged man who had died that morning. Bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind.

He has sharp senses like a wolf.  He's got more of the wolf than his siblings.  His eyes are open because he is the oldest of the litter.  

On 12/14/2018 at 7:25 PM, Starkz said:

Bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind.

Jon's eyeswere a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see. 

From https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things-to-do/wolf-pup-development

Wolf Pup Transition Period. (eye opening until about 20 - 24 days) 2 weeks: Eyes open and are blue at 11-15 days, but vision is poor. They can start eating small pieces of meat regurgitated by adults. Pups begin to stand, walk, growl and chew

A subtle hint towards Jon being older than the Starklings I think.

I have pointed towards this same thing in the small questions a year ago I think. 

Jon is the strongest with the gift, Even Varamyr who is “sixskins” where a normal skinchanger has just one thinks the gift is  strong with Jon.

Archived