U.S. Politics: It’s beginning to look a lot like Rescission

lokisnow

Trump was supposed to get Mexico to pay for the wall, so why go to Congress cap in hand to ask for the money? He should be using his famous negotiating skills to put Mexico on a payment plan so he can get started on the wall without needing Congress' permission.

48 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

The financial crisis and recession coincided with a down period for the New England Patriots. The Patriots look likely to be entering a down period now. Just saying.

The rise of the Evil Empire also coincided with the Bush tax cuts and the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. You also won Owls during the years that Trump announced his candidacy and the year he took office. And your coach wrote him a love letter while your best player should off his red hat.

ALL YOUR FAULT PATS FANS. ALL. YOUR. FAULT!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Trump was supposed to get Mexico to pay for the wall, so why go to Congress cap in hand to ask for the money? He should be using his famous negotiating skills to put Mexico on a payment plan so he can get started on the wall without needing Congress' permission.

Ah, but Mexico is paying for the wall. Because of the new trade deal.

The sharp eyed will have noted that this is utter nonsense on every conceivable level. Nevertheless it is the official line of the US President and his team.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

The financial crisis and recession coincided with a down period for the New England Patriots. The Patriots look likely to be entering a down period now. Just saying.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

'Tis a price I'd gladly pay.

Really Fez? 

Yes really. I agree. Send me your poor and your hungry and your huddled Americans in an economic collapse. 

So long as the Patriots are banished from the postseason I think this is a pretty good trade. 

Last time Pats missed the playoffs was when Obama was elected. 

Coincidence?

So the orange nazi once again flippity-flip-flipped, and will not sign the interim funding bill coz he didn't get his 5 billion for a wall.

Is there anybody at home in the government?  Why am I asking such a stupid question.  Argh.

10 minutes ago, Trebla said:

This has got to be about Syria. Either Mattis finally had enough or Trump didn't like that Mattis disagreed with him.

Lots of talking heads predicted this would happen by the end of the weekend. I should have stolen their hot takes and posted them here to hog the credit. 

:P

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lots of talking heads predicted this would happen by the end of the weekend. I should have stolen their hot takes and posted them here to hog the credit. 

:P

Mattis has been at or near the top of the Next Resignation list for months, not exactly a shocker. Maybe a little surprising that he went before Nielsen, who's done a much better job of displaying abject surrender to all of President Shithole's worst impulses.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I assume that Trump is pissy about the negative press he's getting from Republicans on giving up on the Wall and on pulling out of Syria against the wishes of all his military advisors.  But this is particularly frustrating because we all know how this is going to go.  Either Trump caves today or he caves tomorrow or he caves next week, whatever. 

Democrats know that Republicans don't have the votes for the Wall even now, and they'll be even further from having the votes when the next congress takes over January 1.  And they also know that Trump will get blamed for the shutdown, since he proudly said that he'd accept blame for the shutdown last week.  So they have no incentive whatsoever to make a deal.

So we all just have to play out this farce that Trump is "being tough" when we all know he's not going to get what he wants, the only question is how much bitching and moaning we have to put up* with before he gives up and declares victory, like he always does.

* of course, actual federal employees will get screwed, but nobody cares about them.  It's just people not getting their paychecks right before Christmas, no big deal. 

Yeah, the Freedom Caucus bitched, then the hard-right base threw a fit. And in the Trump era we must always cater to the hard-right base on all things. I heard that a bunch of Republican House members already left for Christmas.

Well, this is as good as passed, unless Trump throws tantrum over the wall and tanks it. And, of course this could not have passed if any part of the government was owned by Democrats, as Republicans would never allow it. Democrats decided to swallow this for a policy victory. Also, this passed because Trump's son-in-law wanted it passed, which is just weird. I wish the Kush would get behind expanding healthcare, but I guess that is too much to ask of a rich kid.

House clears Trump-backed criminal justice reform

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/20/house-clears-trump-backed-criminal-justice-bill-1071436

The House overwhelmingly passed a major overhaul of the nation’s criminal justice laws on Thursday, marking a bipartisan achievement for lawmakers in both chambers and President Donald Trump in the waning days of the 115th Congress.

The bill cleared the House 358-36 after passing in the Senate earlier this week. Trump, who used his bully pulpit to prod reluctant Senate GOP leaders to take action on the legislation, is expected to sign the bill into law by Friday.

The final House vote follows an intense, yearlong lobbying effort from an unexpected group of allies including Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, Kim Kardashian, the American Civil Liberties Union, liberal Democrats, conservative Republicans and the Koch network

26 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Mattis has been at or near the top of the Next Resignation list for months, not exactly a shocker. Maybe a little surprising that he went before Nielsen, who's done a much better job of displaying abject surrender to all of President Shithole's worst impulses.

I agree, and frankly I thought he'd be one of the first people to leave. IIRC, he was reluctant to take the job, and I suspect the main reason that he did was because he knew the country needed a steady hand at DoD and feared Trump might nominate some sycophant who would do disastrous things. IMO Mattis is one of the few people to leave with their reputation intact. 

Are any of the "adults" left at this point?

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

The S&P 500 was 2,270 on Jan 20 2017.  It peaked above 2,930 at the end of summer and now we're at 2,445.  So we've lost ~2/3rds of the stock gains we saw since Trump was inaugurated.  Whether that is "close" to losing all of the gains since Trump's inauguration is a matter of perspective.  But it's pretty definitive that the tax cut has not been the boom to the markets and the economy that Republicans were hoping.  Perhaps those independent economists who hated it knew what they were talking about? 

Now just because you happen to agree with them this time doesn’t mean you should start doing something as crazy as believing anything any economist says!

These are the people who are too dumb to understand something as “complicated” (simple) as giving Christmas / birthday gifts. If they’re incapable of understanding or modeling basic cultural economic exchanges that most second graders have thoroughly mastered why should we trust them on anything as complex as an entire nation? ;-)

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I agree, and frankly I thought he'd be one of the first people to leave. IIRC, he was reluctant to take the job, and I suspect the main reason that he did was because he knew the country needed a steady hand at DoD and feared Trump might nominate some sycophant who would do disastrous things. IMO Mattis is one of the few people to leave with their reputation intact. 

Are any of the "adults" left at this point?

At this rate there is no non syncophant cabinet members left to invoke the sanity clause constitutional amendment and remove trump from office.

(my long running prediction is trump loses the electoral college in 2020 refuses to accept it, tries to call out the military against the democrats and is removed from office by his cabinet and is replaced by the lamest of limpid ducks a ten week tenure of president pence 

As it is, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (snap) requires able-bodied adults without dependent kids to work or engage in job training, and restricts them to three months of benefits every three years if they cannot do so. But states can exempt adults in areas with high unemployment rates from that three-in-three rule. The proposed change would bar states from offering that exemption unless the local unemployment rate is more than 7 percent, The Washington Post reports, which would cut an estimated 800,000 people from the program and save the government an estimated $15 billion over a 10-year window.

Trump's Food-Stamp Policy Will Only Make Poverty Worse
The president wants to make it harder for jobless people to obtain food stamps.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/trump-adds-work-requirements-snap/578746/

29 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

My lord, I watched Wolf Blitzer interview Steven Miller on CNN in the last hour and holy crap, what an ass Miller is. And he’s got Trump’s eat? No wonder things are so crazy in the WH.

Fuck CNN for giving that piece of trash a platform

Archived