U.S. Politics: It’s beginning to look a lot like Rescission

lokisnow

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Really? I would assume the average person could name their Senators before their member of Congress. But then again, I would just assume they couldn’t name any of them.

I think the only difference is that there are very few Representatives that are truly national figures that most people could name (probably just Ryan and Pelosi; maybe John Lewis in certain circles), whereas there are a handful of Senators that have national recognition. People in states with those Senators probably are more likely to be able to name them than their Representative; but outside those states I suspect the Senators are just as (not) well known as the Representatives in each district.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Really? I would assume the average person could name their Senators before their member of Congress. But then again, I would just assume they couldn’t name any of them.

My thinking is what Fez said, but yeah many couldn't name either.

33 minutes ago, DMC said:

I’m in the process of moving and I need to Identify my new House of Representatives memeber along with my new State Representative and Senator.

Awwwww maaaan... my new House Rep. is Trey “the hair” Gowdy.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I think the only difference is that there are very few Representatives that are truly national figures that most people could name (probably just Ryan and Pelosi; maybe John Lewis in certain circles), whereas there are a handful of Senators that have national recognition. People in states with those Senators probably are more likely to be able to name them than their Representative; but outside those states I suspect the Senators are just as (not) well known as the Representatives in each district.

55 minutes ago, DMC said:

Perhaps, though I suspect that will change quite a bit in the next Congressional session. On top of all the likely candidates, you'll have a lot of MCs who will be grandstanding like crazy as the Trump investigations really turn up. 

47 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Best economy ever. Whoever thought it was a good idea to call the CEOs of banks, publicize it and simultaneously trash the Fed is an idiot.

It's reassuring to read that when it comes to the stock market, we're on pace to have the worst December since The Great Depression, and the markets overall in 2018 performed the worst since The Great Recession.

What could go wrong? :dunno:

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's reassuring to read that when it comes to the stock market, we're on pace to have the worst December since The Great Depression, and the markets overall in 2018 performed the worst since The Great Recession.

What could go wrong? :dunno:

There was bound to be a retrace given the historic run the market was on but these idiots in charge just make things worse.

President Donald Trump has revealed more details of his controversial turnaround on Syria, linking his decision to withdraw U.S. troops from the country to his relationship with Turkey’s controversial President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. 

Erdogan “has very strongly informed me that he will eradicate whatever is left of ISIS in Syria....and he is a man who can do it,” Trump wrote on Twitter on Sunday night. “Plus, Turkey is right ‘next door.’ Our troops are coming home!”

An earlier tweet from Trump mentioned that the two leaders had a call that dealt with Syria as well as trade, a top issue for him. And a conversation with Erdogan on Dec. 14 was central to Trump’s Syria move, The Associated Press reported, after Erdogan asked why U.S. forces still needed to be in the country, given the success of efforts against the ISIS insurgency there. Trump’s sudden agreement on that point caught Erdogan “off guard,” according to the AP, and Trump quickly directed top aides to start arranging a drawback ― a policy shift that almost no one in his national security circle supported and that led to the resignations of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and top State Department official Brett McGurk.

Trump Pins Syria Hopes On Turkish Leader Close To Putin And Wary Of U.S. Allies
Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan “will eradicate whatever is left of ISIS,” Trump claimed. But analysts and U.S. officials blame Erdogan for letting extremists gain ground in the first place.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-syria-turkey-recep-tayyip-erdogan_us_5c20f17ee4b08aaf7a8b3e49

42 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Perhaps, though I suspect that will change quite a bit in the next Congressional session. On top of all the likely candidates, you'll have a lot of MCs who will be grandstanding like crazy as the Trump investigations really turn up. 

They'll try, but there's only so much media time to go around and with a few exceptions, they'll be lucky if anyone at all pays attention to them. Maybe it's different in states where there is only one Representative, but in New York City, I wouldn't be able to tell which district I'm in from looking at a map -- the districts are like bizarrely shaped jigsaw pieces which need not be contiguous. Both New York Senators are relatively famous, but I've never heard of any of my Representatives doing anything notable.

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

Best economy ever. Whoever thought it was a good idea to call the CEOs of banks, publicize it and simultaneously trash the Fed is an idiot.

They're not idiots, they're maliciously shorting their assets to buy back just before Trump is gone and the price jumps up. Ie: they're traitors and criminals and hoping to pin it on Il Douche and the 'demoncrats'. This is what you get when you massively defund the IRS, give tax cuts to the 0.1%, get a hyper compromised president in place and make bribery and market manipulation legal. The increased liquidity is about to be turned into dynastic money, if not fascist dictatorship (i'm sure that's what the orange fool is hoping for anyway).

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Awwwww maaaan... my new House Rep. is Trey “the hair” Gowdy.

Only for the next week.  Then it will be William Timmons, who's only a year older than me and looks like a major league douche.

1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

The Dow plunged 600 points and the S&P plunged 500 points. I'm worried that this might be the beginning stages of another recession.

Just a minor correction, but the S&P lost 65 points, or about 2.7% and ended up just barely outside of bear market territory. A 72 point loss in the S&P today would have put it in a bear market.

The NASDAQ officially entered bear market territory last week...I posted about it either Wednesday or Thursday I believe. 

The DJIA had the biggest drop today, down 2.9%, and is also knocking on the door of a bear market.

The stupidity of the whole thing is that, I'd argue at least, a good portion of this 3 month long correction has to be attributed to Trump. The trade moves and government shutdown have all been self-inflicted, but honestly the biggest part of it that he owns is that he won't shut his fucking trap about it.

When it was soaring, he was eager to take all the credit, and now that the inevitable correction is happening, he won't shut the fuck up about moves by the Fed and sends his idiot Treasury Secretary to start calling all the big banks to ensure they have adequate liquidity, which then gets fucking leaked which for damn fucking sure makes you wonder if they know something we don't, when it can probably be attributed to outright stupidity on their part.

The fundamentals of the economy are weaker than last year but still relatively strong, but if Donnie Dipshit can't learn to stop his itchy Twitter finger from firing off a stupidity-laden tweet, then he's going to push us into a recession, fundamentals be damned.

17 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

sends his idiot Treasury Secretary to start calling all the big banks to ensure they have adequate liquidity, which then gets fucking leaked

It wasn't leaked, it was a damn press release.  I like the way the lede in this Atlantic piece described it - like you have symptoms for a cold and the doctor tells you not to worry about cancer.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

It wasn't leaked, it was a damn press release.  I like the way the lede in this Atlantic piece described it - like you have symptoms for a cold and the doctor tells you not to worry about cancer.

Holy shit...even fucking dumber than I thought.

21 minutes ago, Triskele said:

What do you guys think is the likeliest of the three scenarios that the Atlantic piece proposes is?  Although I can't rule out the possibility that it's a combination of trying to make Trump happy plus other factors.

I am sure hopeful that it's not #3 and kind of don't think it is...but it seems like Mnuchin doing this is the very thing that's making people worried that #3 could be on the table and now we tilt into self-fulfilling prophecy territory a bit.  

I'm almost sure it was Mnunchin trying to make Trump happy. While also being an idiot about it. 

Trump has very few people left who would tell him no, or tell him things are a bad idea, and we're going to get more of these stupid ideas coming out. Especially when the investigations start. 

Also, don't worry about a recession immediately. The economy was doing well and hiring was doing well in spite of the stock market's rise, and it'll do well in spite of the stock market's fall. It's reasonable to predict a small recession in the next year or two, but it likely won't be very soon. That said, it is almost certainly the case that whatever causes the recession Trump will make it far, far worse. 

Archived