Why was Bloodraven allowed to take Dark Sister to the Wall??

Canon Claude

In the eyes of the law, Bloodraven was an oath breaker who had lured a man to cold blooded murder under the guise of a peaceful conversation. Aegon was going to have him executed to redeem the Iron Throne’s word. Why would Bloodraven be allowed to take the last Valyrian steel sword of House Targaryen into exile?? I know Aegon wasn’t the best warrior around (that we know of) but he became so obsessed with his family past and legacy that it seems odd that he would just let a priceless sword go north with a criminal.

It does seem rather odd, considering they had already lost Blackfyre. The only reason I can think of is that Aegon probably thought that once Bloodraven died at the Wall, then Dark Sister would be returned to House Targaryen. It probably didn't occur to him that the sword would go missing beyond the Wall. 

Maybe GRRM needed the sword to be beyond the Wall for some plot reason. 

Do we know under what circumstances that sword became Bloodraven's? If something about this matter was mentioned anywhere, then I don't remember it :unsure: Maybe, he got that sword in some special circumstances, and thus those circumstances doesn't allow anyone to take that sword from Bloodraven. It's his personal property, and even the King can't just confiscate it, even though previously it belonged to Targaryen family. Probably, there's some special story, about how Bloodraven got that sword. Maybe, it was given to him as a present, in the same manner, as Blackfyre was given to Daemon. So, could be, that it's not a matter of allowing or forbidding him to take that sword to The Wall, if it was his, then other people had no right to take it away. Though, maybe, they were thinking, that when Bloodraven will eventually die, then other Watchers will send his sword back to Targaryens. Also, we don't know whether he still has it. I think, that Bloodraven was tricked by his ex-lover Shiera, and binded to the Weirwood, similar to what happened to wizard Merlin from Arthurian legends. So, maybe, Shiera took Dark Sister with her, when she left Bloodraven in that cave. Thus, now she has it, and she will give it to Dany. Because, maybe, Shiera Seastar is shadowbinder Quaithe.

I think, that originally Dark Sister was made for a woman, and thus, eventually it will be wielded by a warrior-woman. And because it's not just any Valyrian sword, it's a Valyrian sword, that for centuries belonged to Targaryens, thus that warrior-woman will be one of Targaryens. Thus, it will be Dany's weapon.

I think it's a plot point, tbh. The Tagaryen dynasty fell on the Trident and Dark Sister would have become 100% lost, I think, if Rhaegar had it when he died or if it had remained in King's Landing with Aerys. 

Not every man is going to return someone's ancestral sword to the owners like Ned did with Dawn. See Unwin Peake with Orphan-Maker and Tywin Lannister with Ice.

57 minutes ago, Megorova said:

I think, that originally Dark Sister was made for a woman, and thus, eventually it will be wielded by a warrior-woman. And because it's not just any Valyrian sword, it's a Valyrian sword, that for centuries belonged to Targaryens, thus that warrior-woman will be one of Targaryens. Thus, it will be Dany's weapon.

Are we talking about danny that has never used a sword? If she got dark sister the most probable outcome would be that she would give it to barristan in order to protect her better.

And dark sister has been used by several men. Look at aemon the dragon knight for example.

2 hours ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

It does seem rather odd, considering they had already lost Blackfyre. The only reason I can think of is that Aegon probably thought that once Bloodraven died at the Wall, then Dark Sister would be returned to House Targaryen. It probably didn't occur to him that the sword would go missing beyond the Wall. 

Maybe GRRM needed the sword to be beyond the Wall for some plot reason. 

Bloodraven taking the sword isn t that stange. Bloodraven never giving the sword back to his familly by some strange means is much stranger. At worst case scenario BR could send dreams to a targaryen about the location of the sword or if he knew that he wasn t coming back he could have left his sword at CB.

My personal favorite theory is that it is hidden somewhere near the Wall and that after jon gives allysane(is it her name?) mormont longclaw (it is her familly sword) he will end up finding it. 

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

Do we know under what circumstances that sword became Bloodraven's? If something about this matter was mentioned anywhere, then I don't remember it :unsure: Maybe, he got that sword in some special circumstances, and thus those circumstances doesn't allow anyone to take that sword from Bloodraven. It's his personal property, and even the King can't just confiscate it, even though previously it belonged to Targaryen family. Probably, there's some special story, about how Bloodraven got that sword. Maybe, it was given to him as a present, in the same manner, as Blackfyre was given to Daemon. So, could be, that it's not a matter of allowing or forbidding him to take that sword to The Wall, if it was his, then other people had no right to take it away. Though, maybe, they were thinking, that when Bloodraven will eventually die, then other Watchers will send his sword back to Targaryens. Also, we don't know whether he still has it. I think, that Bloodraven was tricked by his ex-lover Shiera, and binded to the Weirwood, similar to what happened to wizard Merlin from Arthurian legends. So, maybe, Shiera took Dark Sister with her, when she left Bloodraven in that cave. Thus, now she has it, and she will give it to Dany. Because, maybe, Shiera Seastar is shadowbinder Quaithe. 

That seems like a very long and needlessly complicated path to get Dark Sister into Daenerys' hands. The idea that Bloodraven, a bastard who had fallen from favor after being the hated sorcerer Hand of the Seven Kingdoms for years, was allowed to take the priceless sword of House Targaryen with him to the Wall is baffling. No matter how loyal he was, he had no powerful friends to protect him, he had no dragon, there was nothing stopping the king from taking back Dark Sister from Bloodraven, even if it was a gift. Ned Stark wasn't allowed to hand Ice over to Robb, the Lannisters straight up stole it and made two new blades out of it! So either the Lannisters breached a protocol that even a Targaryen king would never cross, or Aegon V didn't care enough about Dark Sister to keep it in King's Landing. 

The only way it makes sense would be if Bloodraven bewitched everyone to say nothing, he blackmailed Aegon V into letting him get away with it, or Aegon V didn't care. 

It doesn't make much sense with the information provided so far that Bloodraven would be allowed to keep Dark Sister.  He was imprisoned after he agreed to provide safe passage to Aenys Balckfyre to attend the Great Council of 233 only to behead him when he arrived at King's Landing.  In his own words he sacrificed his own honour for the good of the realm and when Aegon V ascended to the throne he had Bloodraven imprisoned in the dungeons below the Red Keep.  He would have had Dark Sister taken from when he was imprisoned I would think.  He wasn't given freedom when he was let out of prison, he was sent to the wall, so why would he than get the sword back.  It is the last Targaryen sword known to exist and would have been priceless to King.  Why would he let it go to the Wall with Bloodraven?  I hope GRRM provides an explanation for this in the upcoming books.

1 minute ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

That seems like a very long and needlessly complicated path to get Dark Sister into Daenerys' hands. The idea that Bloodraven, a bastard who had fallen from favor after being the hated sorcerer Hand of the Seven Kingdoms for years, was allowed to take the priceless sword of House Targaryen with him to the Wall is baffling. No matter how loyal he was, he had no powerful friends to protect him, he had no dragon, there was nothing stopping the king from taking back Dark Sister from Bloodraven, even if it was a gift. Ned Stark wasn't allowed to hand Ice over to Robb, the Lannisters straight up stole it and made two new blades out of it! So either the Lannisters breached a protocol that even a Targaryen king would never cross, or Aegon V didn't care enough about Dark Sister to keep it in King's Landing. 

The only way it makes sense would be if Bloodraven bewitched everyone to say nothing, he blackmailed Aegon V into letting him get away with it, or Aegon V didn't care. 

You are forgeting that bloodraven did what he did in order to help Aegon. Bloodraven did so much for the targaryens at the cost of his honnor that it is normal that Aegon is thankfull to him and even though he has to punish him he would let him keep his possesions. 

It doesn't make much sense with the information provided so far that Bloodraven would be allowed to keep Dark Sister.  He was imprisoned after he agreed to provide safe passage to Aenys Balckfyre to attend the Great Council of 233 only to behead him when he arrived at King's Landing.  In his own words he sacrificed his own honour for the good of the realm and when Aegon V ascended to the throne he had Bloodraven imprisoned in the dungeons below the Red Keep.  He would have had Dark Sister taken from when he was imprisoned I would think.  He wasn't given freedom when he was let out of prison, he was sent to the wall, so why would he than get the sword back?  It is the last Targaryen sword known to exist and would have been priceless to the King.  Why would he let it go to the Wall with Bloodraven?  I hope GRRM provides an explanation for this in the upcoming books.

5 minutes ago, divica said:

You are forgeting that bloodraven did what he did in order to help Aegon. Bloodraven did so much for the targaryens at the cost of his honnor that it is normal that Aegon is thankfull to him and even though he has to punish him he would let him keep his possesions. 

I doubt it has anything to do with him being thankful to Bloodraven. Maybe Aegon lets him leave with it because that's where the blade must go. Which gets us into dreams/greensight shenanigans.

That said, I can't even begin to understand why Bloodraven ever got Dark Sister when giving Blackfyre to another bastard caused a shit ton of problems. We don't know who gave it to him, but damn, Daeron had 2 sons who could have as easily wielded that sword.

10 minutes ago, divica said:

My personal favorite theory is that it is hidden somewhere near the Wall and that after jon gives allysane(is it her name?) mormont longclaw (it is her familly sword) he will end up finding it. 

If R+L=J, I would much prefer Jon to use Dark Sister rather then Longclaw. That way "Aegon" would be wielding Blackfyre, and Jon would have Dark Sister. 

1 minute ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I doubt it has anything to do with him being thankful to Bloodraven. Maybe Aegon lets him leave with it because that's where the blade must go.

That said, I can't even begin to understand why Bloodraven ever got Dark Sister when giving Blackfyre to another bastard caused a shit ton of problems. We don't know who gave it to him, but damn, Daeron had 2 sons who could have as easily wielded that sword. 

From I remember of the owners of the sword they were great suporters of the king at the time (visenya, maegor, aemon the dragonkinght). So it isn t that strange that a targ that is hand of the king and pretty loyal to his house against the blackfyre's would wield dark sister.

Might not be the best explanation, but it isn t unacceptable…

And it is poetic that the targ rivals wield the 2 valyrian swords. Maybe it is pointing at waht relation jon and Aegon will have?

4 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

If R+L=J, I would much prefer Jon to use Dark Sister rather then Longclaw. That way "Aegon" would be wielding Blackfyre, and Jon would have Dark Sister. 

I kind of see it going that way. With jon having conection with the NW and bloodraven and Aegon the GC and bittersteal (either through the company or by blood) it would be cool if each end up with the swords.

1 minute ago, divica said:

And it is poetic that the targ rivals wield the 2 valyrian swords.

I've thought of this and I can certainly see it in some capacity. But that would mean there's a good chance it's not Aegon who gave the sword to his bastard son, but Daeron who passed over his son and heir to give the sword to his half-brother.

39 minutes ago, divica said:

Are we talking about danny that has never used a sword?

Yes, about that Dany ^_^ Her brother, Viserys, also had a sword, though he never used it in a battle, or a fight. But just because Dany doesn't know, how to use a sword now, doesn't mean, that she will never learn. Barristan is teaching kids to fight, he can teach Dany too.

38 minutes ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Jon is, possibly, Azor Ahai, so his sword will be Lightbringer. And because Jon is 1/8 Dayne, thru his ancestor, Queen Dyanna Dayne, he has a right to take Dawn of Daynes. Dawn is Lightbringer (probably).

So Jon's sword will be Dawn, Dany's will be Dark Sister, and fAegon's will be Blackfyre, because fAegon is a Blackfyre from female line.

39 minutes ago, divica said:

owners of the sword they were great suporters of the king at the time (visenya, maegor, aemon the dragonkinght).

And because Jon is Rhaegar's son, which makes him first in line of Targaryen succession, Dany, who will be wielding Dark Sister, will be King Jon's greatest supporter (and wife, maybe).

3 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Jon is, possibly, Azor Ahai, so his sword will be Lightbringer. And because Jon is 1/8 Dayne, thru his ancestor, Queen Dyanna Dayne, he has a right to take Dawn of Daynes. Dawn is Lightbringer (probably).

1/8 Dayne . . . . If all it takes is a drop of Dayne blood to wield Dawn, I imagine half of Westeros could claim the bloody sword.  xD

4 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

The idea that Bloodraven, a bastard who had fallen from favor after being the hated sorcerer Hand of the Seven Kingdoms for years, was allowed to take the priceless sword of House Targaryen with him to the Wall is baffling

I don't find it baffling at all. My take is that the Egg/BR relationship was overall a pretty good one. 

Given the seriousness of BR's offence, there's no way Egg can let him off the hook. But Egg likes the man, and maybe even understands BR's motivarion. So he condemns him, and gives him a way out. Letting BR keep Dark Sister is a way of acknowledging some things that Egg can't acknowledge publicly. 

3 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I think it's a plot point, tbh. The Tagaryen dynasty fell on the Trident and Dark Sister would have become 100% lost, I think, if Rhaegar had it when he died or if it had remained in King's Landing with Aerys. 

Not every man is going to return someone's ancestral sword to the owners like Ned did with Dawn. See Unwin Peake with Orphan-Maker and Tywin Lannister with Ice.

Odds are Rhaegar would have killed Robert if he had the sword. Doesn't he wound Robert really bad in the fight, while just using a normal sword? Now just about that being a valyrian steel sword.

18 minutes ago, sifth said:

Odds are Rhaegar would have killed Robert if he had the sword. Doesn't he wound Robert really bad in the fight, while just using a normal sword? Now just about that being a valyrian steel sword.

A VS sword doesn't automatically turn you into superman. The impact of the improved edge of a VS sword would be minimal in the chaotic environment of a battlefield, especially against a fully armored opponent like Robert. The main advantage Rhaegar would've had with Dark Sister is it would be lighter than a regular sword, and thus he might tire more slowly. Even so, Rhaegar was dressed in full armor as well, so the impact of a slightly lighter sword isn't going to make him that much faster.

Archived