Size of the islands Elissa Farman discovered

AzureOwl

I've been wondering about the possibilities of permanent colonization of the three small islands Elissa Farman discovered during her expedition, and one key point I keep coming back to is their size.

In the text they are described as... "Three small islands, even the largest of them a third the size of Dragonstone"

So I need to ask, how big is Dragonstone anyway? If that's our only point of comparison. 

20 hours ago, AzureOwl said:

I've been wondering about the possibilities of permanent colonization of the three small islands Elissa Farman discovered during her expedition, and one key point I keep coming back to is their size.

In the text they are described as... "Three small islands, even the largest of them a third the size of Dragonstone"

So I need to ask, how big is Dragonstone anyway? If that's our only point of comparison. 

Those are pretty small then.  Ballparking off of what we know of the Wall (it's 300 miles long), DS looks like it's about 300 sq miles. However that is a very rough estimate and most likely overstating the size of DS. The biggest of those islands would be larger than Staten Island but smaller than Malta. 

Best case scenario for them would probably just be use them as water stopovers like the British used to use Saint Helena and Ascension Island. I cannot remember if those islands were reminiscent of the Galapagos or not,

2 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Those are pretty small then.  Ballparking off of what we know of the Wall (it's 300 miles long), DS looks like it's about 300 sq miles. However that is a very rough estimate and most likely overstating the size of DS. The biggest of those islands would be larger than Staten Island but smaller than Malta. 

Best case scenario for them would probably just be use them as water stopovers like the British used to use Saint Helena and Ascension Island. I cannot remember if those islands were reminiscent of the Galapagos or not,

It would depend on how fertile they are, if we consider the archipelago as a whole.

If we assume that Aegon is 100 sq mi and Visenya and Rhaenys are each around 75 sq mi, that would give us a total area of 250 sq mi for the whole archipelago. 

Madeira has a total area of 286 sq mi. That means that if the island has the right kind of terrain, it could support of decent, if not large permanent population. Granted, the archipelago is far too remote for it to be used to plant cash crops, like Madeira, but if someone got into their head they wanted to be the sovereign of their own little kingdom, and had the gold to burn, they could get something going on there.

2 hours ago, AzureOwl said:

It would depend on how fertile they are, if we consider the archipelago as a whole.

If we assume that Aegon is 100 sq mi and Visenya and Rhaenys are each around 75 sq mi, that would give us a total area of 250 sq mi for the whole archipelago. 

Madeira has a total area of 286 sq mi. That means that if the island has the right kind of terrain, it could support of decent, if not large permanent population. Granted, the archipelago is far too remote for it to be used to plant cash crops, like Madeira, but if someone got into their head they wanted to be the sovereign of their own little kingdom, and had the gold to burn, they could get something going on there.

Pretty sure the wild pigs indicate a previous human presence on the islands.

18 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Pretty sure the wild pigs indicate a previous human presence on the islands.

I thought the very same thing. Either a previous colonization attempt or someone wanting to tuen it into a way station to somewhere else. 

On 12/18/2018 at 10:47 PM, AzureOwl said:

Too small to grow much food, and too far away to easily ship in food. So I'd say permanent residence would not be a lot of fun.

The biggest was a third the size of Dragonstone, but there were three of them, and they're in the tropics. Even if the others two islands were a lot smaller, then collectively they'd still probably add up to more than half the size of Dragonstone, which had a castle, port, villages, and was able to support several dragons. Plus they're in the tropics, so edible plants would be much more abundant and able to grow back faster to support more people. Seeing as Eustace Hightower still made a fortune from what they got there, I'm surprised some enterprising traders didn't manage to set up an outpost there.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 2:46 AM, Xeno of Carcosa said:

The biggest was a third the size of Dragonstone, but there were three of them, and they're in the tropics. Even if the others two islands were a lot smaller, then collectively they'd still probably add up to more than half the size of Dragonstone, which had a castle, port, villages, and was able to support several dragons. Plus they're in the tropics, so edible plants would be much more abundant and able to grow back faster to support more people. Seeing as Eustace Hightower still made a fortune from what they got there, I'm surprised some enterprising traders didn't manage to set up an outpost there.

Given the trouble they had getting there and back I'd guess most thought the risk wasn't worth it.

On 12/19/2018 at 4:47 AM, AzureOwl said:

The lonely light is also populated and i dont have any indication that its much bigger and much fertile neither. But the route to the island is way too dangerous and need a very specialized ship.

Archived