Assassin's Apprentice Opinions?

Joey Crows

Assassin's Apprentice isn't about assassinations, it's about the apprentice.  There are assassinations, done both by the apprentice and the master sure, but that's not the focus of the book and the series, the apprentice Fitz is.  Dip in and see if you like the books.

11 hours ago, Gigei said:

Really?

Reveal hidden contents

I seem to remember a metric ton of assassinations. Mostly poisoning. There was that one time Fitz basically just went around all over the place poisoning people. And Rurisk was an on-screen assassination. Also, Fitz was the target of assassination twice (during the skill test and at the very end). His father Chivalry was also assassinated, wasn't he?,

I may be misremembering, as I read the trilogy in 1999. So the lingering fumes of impressions were a) not much assassinating going on (or, at least, Fitz never "grows into the role"), b) rather shallow worldbuilding as a whole--politically and geographically--though decent in the micro setting, and c) a glutton's feast of emotional manipulation on the part of the author to milk drama and inspire sniffles from those that like to cry at the end of books (as I see frequently in topics like these), but the emotional manipulation was so boldface bald on the author's part that, by the third book, the trick had worn to the nub and simply left me cold. These are dimestore romance novels with some fantasy trappings slathered on. 

I'd still recommend them over 80% of the fantasy market, though. 

I liked the first book, loved the second, hated the third. The excessive travelogue I could forgive, but the resolution to the romance was so absolutely ridiculous to me that it killed any interest I had in the other Elderlings books.

Spoiler

The heroine hooking up with what is essentially the hero's dad read more like an entirely different sort of fantasy; it felt so forced to me. Possibly to Hobb, too, since she apparently kills off the dad and has her hook back up with Fitz in the sequel series...

The first trilogy is one of my favorite series ever. One of the only times I can think of that I finished the third book and immediately went and re-read the first one because I just wanted to stay immersed a little longer. The rest of the series(es) are great, but IMO the first one is best. Guess I'm just a glutton for dimestore romance emotional manipulation :rolleyes:

On 12/22/2018 at 7:04 PM, kuenjato said:

I may be misremembering, as I read the trilogy in 1999. So the lingering fumes of impressions were a) not much assassinating going on (or, at least, Fitz never "grows into the role"), b) rather shallow worldbuilding as a whole--politically and geographically--though decent in the micro setting, and c) a glutton's feast of emotional manipulation on the part of the author to milk drama and inspire sniffles from those that like to cry at the end of books (as I see frequently in topics like these), but the emotional manipulation was so boldface bald on the author's part that, by the third book, the trick had worn to the nub and simply left me cold. These are dimestore romance novels with some fantasy trappings slathered on. 

I'd still recommend them over 80% of the fantasy market, though. 

Very much agreed, except I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone but my mother.

On 12/31/2018 at 3:41 AM, Starkess said:

The first trilogy is one of my favorite series ever. One of the only times I can think of that I finished the third book and immediately went and re-read the first one because I just wanted to stay immersed a little longer. The rest of the series(es) are great, but IMO the first one is best. Guess I'm just a glutton for dimestore romance emotional manipulation :rolleyes:

As much as I loved the first trilogy, I loved the second just as much, in a different way because it has a different feel for several reasons.

Third series also very exciting.

Archived