Army Mobilised as Drones Force Gatwick Airport To Close, Stranding Thousands

Spockydog

I'm not saying it was aliens, but...

Army called in to help with Gatwick airport drones problem

Seriously though, there's something extremely odd about all of this. Despite it being all over the news, all day, not a single piece of drone footage has been broadcast, nor any pictures published. Police have reported over fifty sightings near Gatwick today of an object which is 'larger than a domestic drone.'

I'm by no means an expert on these things, but I'm reliably informed by Google that drones usually have a battery life of ten minutes flying time, twenty for the high-end models. But according to the reports the drones first arrived at 9pm last night, and stayed for a couple of hours. The airport was reopened at 3am, but closed when the drones returned again shortly afterwards. The drones were sighted again at midday today and the airport's been closed since then.

No attempt has been made to engage the drones, despite there being many countermeasures that could be deployed. Instead, COBRA's been assembled and the army's been mobilised. Meanwhile, thousands of people are stranded whilst millions of pounds of economic damage is inflicted.

If these are the same drones being cycled in and out of operation, what I don't understand is why they cannot be tracked both visually, and by radar. Surely the cops should just get a couple of choppers in the air and follow those fuckers. Instead, no attempt has been made to engage the drones, and the excuses, to me at least, seem pretty lame.

People have been locked on planes for hours and hours.  More than a few of them with babies.

Whoever is doing this: people find out who you are and pitchforks and nooses are the nicest things that will happen to you.

So how long did it ultimately stay closed? I can understand a couple of hours or maybe a bit longer if it was in the middle of the night, but it's really hard to believe that they'd be unable to deal with a couple of drones for a whole day. It would be one thing if this was a tiny airport in the middle of nowhere, but this is the second busiest airport of one of a major power and right near said power's capital. They should have access to jamming equipment, helicopters, drones of their own...

It is still closed.  Since Wednesday.  

The latest report I read said they were playing "cat and mouse" with the drone, which implies they are trying to follow it but having trouble.  

17 minutes ago, ants said:

with the drone,

Apart from anything else there has to be more than one. No drone has the battery life to be buzzing an airport for anywhere even close to that kind of time.

That compared with what Spocky said about reports of it being bigger than usual and, well, the FUCKING ARMY BEING CALLED IN suggests there's definitely more going on than some silly bastard causing trouble for the shits and giggles.

I'm flying from Berlin to Stansted tomorrow morning. I'm a little nervous this is gonna disrupt me second-hand.

So I checked on the battery life of those drones that were so spectacularly part of the Korean Olympics ceremony. Its apparently 20 minutes as mentioned earlier- https://www.wired.com/story/olympics-opening-ceremony-drone-show/

They used 1200 drones for that Olympics ceremony. I imagine if you had these drones operating from 4 or 5 different locations and 2 or 3 drones running 10-15 minute sorties from each location, you could create hours and hours, if not days, of chaos for air traffickers.

Its actually surprising this hasnt already been tried previously by some anarchist group. They are not going to be able to avoid detection indefinately. they will catch whoever is behind this soon.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Apart from anything else there has to be more than one. No drone has the battery life to be buzzing an airport for anywhere even close to that kind of time.

That compared with what Spocky said about reports of it being bigger than usual and, well, the FUCKING ARMY BEING CALLED IN suggests there's definitely more going on than some silly bastard causing trouble for the shits and giggles.

I'm flying from Berlin to Stansted tomorrow morning. I'm a little nervous this is gonna disrupt me second-hand.

There’s definitely something very suspicious going on but I can’t say I believe it’s aliens LOL - I wouldn’t be surprised if it really was to distract the British public from brexit tho. But I don’t know - it’s very strange regardless 

This government can't agree a policy on Brexit, can't organise a negotiation with the EU, and can't do anything at all without leaking against each other. There is no way they could organise a conspiracy to distract the country OR cover up alien activity. 

2 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

any and all posters who are suggesting it was not aliens have been compromised by the aliens or were already alien conspirators. 

This is exactly what someone covering for the Gnomes of Zurich would say.

36 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Surely you'd make a statement before/during?

It was just a headline rundown so not certain on what the full claim was. Anquick google says it was reported by the Telegraph who heard from a Whitehall official. The other paper reporting that is the Sun so you know it must be true!

*my apologies for not checking where that claim was coming from before posting

Also the headlines from the Daily Mail this morning just make me chuckle. CHRISTMAS IS OVER

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m surprised they aren’t just shooting them down.  Who needs the whole army just some good snipers and whoever is doing this will run out of drones very quickly.

Because they want to catch the person(s) operating the thing(s)?

Archived