Favourite Books on the Arthurian Legend

jillc

I am curious to know people's favourite Arthurian legend fiction. Mine is the trilogy that Mary Stewart wrote, which includes The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills and The Last Enchantment. I absolutely adored those and her book on Mordred The Wicked Day. I also enjoyed Bernard Cornwell's take on it The Warlord Chronicles too. I read all the earlier ones, The Once and Future King as well, but nothing came close to Mary Stewart's version. She seemed to bring new layers to old characters and I loved her description her sentences really flowed and the way she went into their inner minds. I loved The Wicked Day as well and have to admit I had a fascination with her version of Mordred. He was a really interesting character, the way she wrote him.

Is there anything else that people recommend? 

11 hours ago, jillc said:

I am curious to know people's favourite Arthurian legend fiction. Mine is the trilogy that Mary Stewart wrote, which includes The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills and The Last Enchantment. I absolutely adored those and her book on Mordred The Wicked Day. I also enjoyed Bernard Cornwell's take on it The Warlord Chronicles too. I read all the earlier ones, The Once and Future King as well, but nothing came close to Mary Stewart's version. She seemed to bring new layers to old characters and I loved her description her sentences really flowed and the way she went into their inner minds. I loved The Wicked Day as well and have to admit I had a fascination with her version of Mordred. He was a really interesting character, the way she wrote him.

Bernard Cornwell definitely.

The Once and Future King is the best portrayal of the Arthur-Guinevere-Lancelot triangle that I've read.  They all love each other, and Arthur knows about the other two, and it goes on for years (it's a good depiction of older love too), until Mordred wrecks everything.

I haven't read Mary Stewart - but I think I should from your recommendation!

Have you read Malory and Monmouth? Geoffrey of Monmouth in particular is hilarious with his "history" (very sarcastic quote marks).

One I didn't like was The Mists of Avalon.  I didn't like any of Arthur, Guinevere or Lancelot.  I did like Morgause, but she was the only one.  I thought it was interesting that she created separate characters for Nimue and Vivianne.

Ultimately, though, these are Arthurian legends.  And I like the stories that remind us why Arthur is the name that is remembered.

I enjoyed The Pendragon Protocol. The knights of the round table have continued to exist up to the present day, where they're a secretive paramilitary organisation, made up of "reincarnations" of the original characters, protecting Britain from "reincarnated" enemies. (The nature of the connection to the originals is actually rather more complicated than that, but that's a significant element of the story.)

The Once and Future King is the best, IMO. I've read a lot of Arthurian books and that one is the best.

The Mart Stewart Trilogy is more of a Merlin trilogy. Arthur doesn't even appear in the first book. :) That series, Mallory, and The Once and Future King are the best and nothing else comes close.

Mallory is a must, IMO. There's a reason why everyone who likes Arthurian lit has read Mallory.

The Mists of Avalon - it was okay but not really my favorite.

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight is absolutely great.

The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere - it's pretty good. Sir Kay, the seneschal, is the POV character and it's a murder mystery of that incident where the Queen was accused of poisoning a knight

Ignoring the source materials for modern reworkings, which I've enjoyed in translation.

A bit on the outside of the normal myth cycle, The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers.

I seem to remember Rosemary Sutcliff's Arthurian works, but have no idea how they hold up.

And there is a weird one where Lancelot and Gilgamesh are immortals (?) in the same world I read decades ago. It made an impression, but I have no clue what the book actually is or who wrote it.

My favorite is the first one, King Arthur and His Knights.  It didn't have an author, just King Arthur and His Knights on the cover and title page, and "Retold."

The book was my mother's and I discovered it about age 7 or 8.  I re-read constantly until I left home for college.  No other of the very many versions, including the Courtly Romances and even The Once and Future King, came close to its infusion of magical glimmer -- which then sadly for me faded when Merlin departs and the Grail Quest arrives, and the sheer elegance of the silver and pearls and swords and crowns that were in that book, which began with the birth of -- Merlin.

The closest to that experience I ever got again were the first readings of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle?  It's been so long since I read it though...sometimes I think I need to pick it up again.

Camelot 3000, a DC maxi series from the 80s.  Mike Barr and Brian Bollard. One of my favorite comics of all time...

On 12/20/2018 at 11:38 PM, jillc said:

Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy is a firm number one for me.

One of my all time favorite reads.

Warlord trilogy a close second.

Recent additions to Arthurian legend are the Pendragon series by James Wilde and "Lancelot" by Giles Kristian.

The Pendragon cycle by Stephen Lawhead has been mentioned, I've stioll not read it.

You probably should check out the big one in terms of modern standalone Arthurian reads, "Sword at Sunset" by Rosemary Sutcliffe.

https://www.amazon.com/Sword-at-Sunset-Rediscovered-Classics/dp/1556527594/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1545779412&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=sunset+rosemary+sutcliffe

Archived