Why Drogon?

zoenerys

Why is Drogon Daenerys' mount and not Rhaegal or (particularly) Viserion? Is it because he's named for Drogo, her first husband? Viserion is clearly the mama's boy of the group as far as I can tell. I don't understand why she wouldn't pick the one who is the most bonded to her. Maybe it has to do with the stallion that mounts the world prophecy? 

Dany has connected with Drogon even before he has hatched, at least 9 months before Drogo's death and Rhaego's birth. She saw black dragon in her dream, shortly after Illyrio gave her those dragon eggs. Drogon's egg was the biggest out of three, and it became hot to the touch also first out of three. So Drogon is the strongest out of three dragons, thus, if dragons can chose their riders, then Drogon, as the strongest of his siblings, could have claimed Dany, and banned the others two from bonding with her. When she went into the House of the Undying, she took Drogon with her, not Viseryon or Rhaegel. Because even then she, probably, was already subconsciously aware, that Drogon is her future mount.

Also, maybe, colors of those dragons is a clue about who will be their future riders. Drogon - black and red - traditional colors of Targaryens. Also he looks like Balerion, dragon of Aegon the Conqueror. Aegon and his two sisters were three heads of Targaryen dragon/family. And Aegon was in the middle. He was their leader, and he was born second out of his siblings. Dany is, obviously, going to be leader of three heads of the dragon, from the prophecy about the promised Prince/Dragon. Dany was born second, after Jon, and before Rhaego. So she is new Aegon, while Jon and Rhaego are her sidekicks, like Visenya and Rhaenys were for their husband-brother Aegon. Rhaegel is bronze and green - like skin color of Dothraki, or color of their bronze arakhs, and green, like grass of Dothraki Sea. So Rhaegel will be Rhaego's mount. And because there's no evidences of Rhaego's death, he could be alive. If my guess, that colors of those dragons are a clue about identity of their future riders, then who, if not Rhaego, could be Rhaegel's rider? And Viseryon - white/pale and gold and bronze - Jon Snow's dragon - snow, king/gold, bronze/First Man (his mother, Lyanna Stark, is descendant of First Men, and they were using bronze weapons). Targaryen words are "Fire and blood". So red color in their sigil is either fire or blood, while black, is, probably, smoke. If red and black colors of Drogon is representing Targaryen colors and words, and thus is also representing their weapon - fire. Then bronze color of Rhaegel and Viseryon could also be representing traditional weapons of their riders. For both First Men (Jon's ancestors) and Dothraki (Rhaego's ancestors) bronze is "traditional" metal, from which they were making their weapons. If red color of Drogon is color of fire (which was "weapon" of Valyrians), and bronze colors of Viseryon and Rhaegel is representing bronze weapons of Dothraki and First Men, then the second color is a clue about identity of riders - Drogon's black is a clue, that his rider is a "Black dragon", i.e. - Targaryen; Rhaegel's green - Dothraki grass sea, a clue about origin of Rhaegel's rider, that he is from Dothraki Sea; Viseryon's pale/white color - snow of The North, as origin of his rider (or pale color could be representing color of sand near the Tower of Joy, where Jon was born).

8 hours ago, zoenerys said:

Why is Drogon Daenerys' mount and not Rhaegal or (particularly) Viserion? Is it because he's named for Drogo, her first husband? Viserion is clearly the mama's boy of the group as far as I can tell. I don't understand why she wouldn't pick the one who is the most bonded to her. Maybe it has to do with the stallion that mounts the world prophecy? 

That's like asking why King Arthur has Excalibur.  Because Dany is the lead dragon.  The Dragon.  She has to have the most powerful of the dragons.  

Most bonded to her?  That would be Drogon.  

2 hours ago, Megorova said:

Also, maybe, colors of those dragons is a clue about who will be their future riders. Drogon - black and red - traditional colors of Targaryens. Also he looks like Balerion, dragon of Aegon the Conqueror. Aegon and his two sisters were three heads of Targaryen dragon/family.

Agreed. Even though Dany didn't really "choose" Drogon, there is a ton of symbolism in her appearing in Westeros riding the largest red and black dragon.

23 hours ago, zoenerys said:

Custom decrees that the khaleesi must ride a mount worthy of her place beside the khal.  Daenerys graduated from horses to dragons.  She promoted herself.  The entire world will be her khalasar and she must ride a dragon worthy of her status.  She no longer has the need to ride under the shadow of a khal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 10:13 AM, Trillanes said:

That's like asking why King Arthur has Excalibur.  Because Dany is the lead dragon.  The Dragon.  She has to have the most powerful of the dragons.  

Most bonded to her?  That would be Drogon.  

I want to expand on what I said.  Daenerys is a mirror reflection of Aegon.  It makes sense for these two to ride the most powerful of the dragons.  Rhaegal and Viserion will have riders who are reflections of Rhaenys and Visenya.  The riders will be Daenerys and two men.  The males will be representative of the people she will rule over. 

Archived