Duologies, what would you reccomend?

LongRider

3 hours ago, Vaughn said:

My snarky answer is of course the Rothfus books.  

The first two Dune books are a great pair of novels which, IMO, tell a complete enough arc that there's no 'need' to read the rest of the series. 

Rothfus, good snarky answer, I've read them and they will always be a twosome to me.   :P 

Would argue about Dune tho, have read the three books and prefer to think of Dune as a standalone.   :dunno:

On 12/21/2018 at 8:39 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Man I miss Felix Gilman

I find I love his first book of a series and am disappointed by the second. 

Endorse the GGK recs I’m here for sure. I adore Sarantine Mosaic.  I enjoyed the Jemisin one also. 

Depending on how you look at it, the Ada Palmer books are duologies (two linked duologies). They are different but I’ve enjoyed them  

You could try The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold. There's technically a third one as it's officially a trilogy, but only the first two are directly related, the other is just set in the same world (at a different time, too). Quick reads, a really cool world, and not grimdark.

35 minutes ago, Underfoot said:

You could try The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold. There's technically a third one as it's officially a trilogy, but only the first two are directly related, the other is just set in the same world (at a different time, too). Quick reads, a really cool world, and not grimdark.

I read those, thought they were OK. Do want to check others of hers sometime.

edt; if I recall, I liked the first book best and was disappointed the other books didn't follow those characters, as I was invested in them and wanted more of their story.   :dunno:   So it goes.

Late to the party, but you could try Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. Dan Simmons' first books, written before he went a little off the rails. Space opera, possibly a little dated now, a little pretentious, but still a good read.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

A LITTLE off the rails?

Well, first books can be, um, interesting.  I read THE WASP FACTORY and WALKING ON GLASS, Iain Banks first two books and didn't die, maybe I'll take a look.  

3 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Haven't read Card, so don't quite get the nuance.    

Ah, well, without derailing to much, Simmons went batshit crazy after 9/11 and started blaming Muslims for everything, including a short story  he wrote where a future version of himself comes back in time to warn him about the future Islam War, then he wrote some bad, bad book about how everything was better when the Republicans are in charge, and then there's The Abominable, which is its own brand of crazy I won;t spoil but you can look up if you're curious. I gueess a more fitting thing would be to say he went full John Ringo.

12 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ah, well, without derailing to much, Simmons went batshit crazy after 9/11 and started blaming Muslims for everything, including a short story  he wrote where a future version of himself comes back in time to warn him about the future Islam War, then he wrote some bad, bad book about how everything was better when the Republicans are in charge, and then there's The Abominable, which is its own brand of crazy I won;t spoil but you can look up if you're curious. I gueess a more fitting thing would be to say he went full John Ringo.

Okie dokie, don't sound like my tea cups, thanks.

11 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

A LITTLE off the rails?

I was being polite. :)

But the point is that the Hyperion duology was written before then, and manages to almost entirely avoid his subsequent Muslim obsession. Indeed it even has a good guy Palestinian refugee. So I will stand by my recommendation.

Archived