Does anyone else find it odd Brandon and Rickard didn’t bring along Robert when they went to KL?

Varysblackfyre321

I mean he is as much an aggrieved party as the Starks, lyamna was promised to him. I don’t know it just seems weird not to include him in the venture. And perhaps there is no greater reason than poor writing on Martin’s part, but I’m curious, on what you think could be possiblely another reason for the exclusion.

30 minutes ago, LindsayLohan said:

Rickard didn't travel with Brandon, he was summoned after Brandon was arrested.

Also, Bobby B was with Ned in the Vale.

Hope that helps.

Yeah it does. Still, find it a little weird Brandon didn’t seek out Robert(he’s much the right to confront Rheagar than Brandon himself imo) . But then again perhaps Brandon was merely being inconsiderate. 

In winter The Vale is inaccessible via land route. Probably, Brandon didn't sent a raven with a summon-message to Robert and Ned, because it would have taken them over 1 week of time, to get from the Eyrie to Gulltown, then to hire a ship there, and only then to sail towards King's Landing. While it would have taken Brandon about the same amount of time (from The Eyrie to Gulltown ~= from Harrenhal to King's Landing), to get there on his own, via King's Road. So if he would have sent a raven to Robert, and Robert departed towards KL, then by the time, when Brandon was already at KL, Robert would have been in Gulltown, so he still would have been too late, to prevent Brandon from getting seized by Aerys' people.

It seems, that Ned and Robert weren't invited to attend Brandon's wedding. Thus, when things there went wrong, they knew nothing about any of it. Ned and Robert found out about what was going on, only after Aerys has already executed Brandon and Rickard, and had sent a raven to Jon Arryn, demanding from him to hand over both of his foster-kids.

7 hours ago, Megorova said:

In winter The Vale is inaccessible via land route. Probably, Brandon didn't sent a raven with a summon-message to Robert and Ned, because it would have taken them over 1 week of time, to get from the Eyrie to Gulltown, then to hire a ship there, and only then to sail towards King's Landing. While it would have taken Brandon about the same amount of time (from The Eyrie to Gulltown ~= from Harrenhal to King's Landing), to get there on his own, via King's Road. So if he would have sent a raven to Robert, and Robert departed towards KL, then by the time, when Brandon was already at KL, Robert would have been in Gulltown, so he still would have been too late, to prevent Brandon from getting seized by Aerys' people.

It seems, that Ned and Robert weren't invited to attend Brandon's wedding. Thus, when things there went wrong, they knew nothing about any of it. Ned and Robert found out about what was going on, only after Aerys has already executed Brandon and Rickard, and had sent a raven to Jon Arryn, demanding from him to hand over both of his foster-kids.

More stuff and nonesense. Why on earth would Ned not attend his brother’s Wedding? Nothing suggests this is the case. Rickard was not in the Riverlands either - was he not attending his son’s wedding?

no doubt they were too busy cavorting with the Black Swann and Serenei and Shiera and Mother Theresa, all of whom are the same person who is Quiathe

I'm not sure Brandon consulted with anyone once he heard the news. It sounds like once he got the news he announced he was going to King's Landing and why, then those of his friends present at that time that wanted to join him did. Maybe he told someone to send a raven to Winterfell and the Vale but I doubt he was going to wait for an answer on how to proceed like he should have. In all rights it was Lord Rickard who should have made the final decision on how to proceed as Lyanna was his responsibility until she was wed. Rickard could have sent Brandon in his name but I'm not sure that was the case as Brandon never said as such. Maybe I'm wrong and Rickard did send Brandon but Brandon decided just to chant come out and die instead of asking for an audience with the King and or Crown Prince on behave of the Lord of Winterfell and father in the matter of Lyanna Stark's disappearance. 

Brandon got the news and went straight to King's Landing. The guys who went with him were the ones who were there when he got the news. He didn't stop to think nor to summon anyone to go with him. Rickard came later when he was summoned by Aerys. No poor writing in this instance the reason for the 'exclusion' is pretty obvious imo.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:32 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I mean he is as much an aggrieved party as the Starks, lyamna was promised to him. I don’t know it just seems weird not to include him in the venture. And perhaps there is no greater reason than poor writing on Martin’s part, but I’m curious, on what you think could be possiblely another reason for the exclusion.

1. Robert is in the Vale .

2. Robert may have wanted to wring Rhaegar's neck , but  since Robert never married Lyanna he has no claim to her .

On 12/22/2018 at 5:34 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

More stuff and nonesense. Why on earth would Ned not attend his brother’s Wedding? Nothing suggests this is the case. Rickard was not in the Riverlands either - was he not attending his son’s wedding?

no doubt they were too busy cavorting with the Black Swann and Serenei and Shiera and Mother Theresa, all of whom are the same person who is Quiathe

There's a decent chance Rickard was in the Riverlands when Brandon heard of Lyanna's abduction.

Bran's POV in AGOT describes Rickard as having gone south with Brandon.

Catelyn's POV in AGOT describes Brandon as having left Riverrun, telling her to wait, that he wouldn't be long, and that they would wed on his return.

Catelyn in ACOK states that Brandon was on his way to Riverrun when he heard about Lyanna and went to KL instead.

The app for Catelyn describes Brandon as having left Riverrun to join Rickard's wedding party coming down from the north, and the app for Brandon describes him as having been on his way back to Riverrun when he heard of Lyanna's abduction.

So whether:

Brandon and Rickard originally left the north together, and Brandon went ahead to Riverrun, then rejoined Rickard once the party was closer

or

Brandon left the north before Rickard and went to Riverrun, then left Riverrun and joined Rickard once the party was closer

It seems likely Brandon had joined Rickard in or close to the Riverlands (perhaps at or near the crossroads) before he heard about Lyanna, since he was on his way back to Riverrun, indicating he had successfully joined Rickard's wedding party, and they were all now on their way to Riverrun.

IMO, Rickard's party is also the most plausible place for Lyanna to have been, since she was abducted in the Riverlands near HH. I think the descriptions of Arya and Sansa in AGOT Sansa I are informative about Rickard's party, and how Lyanna could have been found relatively alone and abducted despite traveling with a party of hundreds.

I think Brandon and his companions had hooked up with Rickard's party, which included Lyanna, and were making their way from the crossroads to Riverrun when Lyanna was abducted.

I imagine Ned, Robert, and Jon would have soon left the Vale, if they hadn't already, to link up with them, or meet them at Riverrun. There's no reason to think Ned at least, but also Robert and Jon, wouldn't have attended Brandon's wedding.

Depending on whether they had already left, or were still at the Eyrie, I imagine they would have returned to/stayed put at the Eyrie once they learned of Lyanna's abduction, Brandon's imprisonment, and Aerys's summons of the Stark, Royce, Mallister, and Arryn fathers, which must have included Jon himself, seeing how Elbert was his heir and lord, and Elbert's own father was dead.

Brandon does not seem the kind of person to ask much help when he suddenly learns of his sister's situation, he went full speed.

Even if he asked for robert's help it would take raven time back and forth, and Jon arynn as lord of the vale would read the letter first and not tell robert to go kill himself aswell i believe.

As it pertains to the thread title and the opening remark as exhibited below:

Thread title --- Does anyone else find it odd Brandon and Rickard didn’t bring along Robert when they went to KL?

On 12/22/2018 at 1:32 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

There are individuals who know this material inside and out.

It is my humble ignorant opine that  not much of the main novel/saga makes sense when it comes to the Lyanna stuff.

There is a King who gets his hackles up when a son of Stark rides to KL after he learns that his sister has gone missing.

WEEEEEl, taking into consideration there was the tourney at HH --- seems all the stark pups were in attendance as was Robert and his betrothed.

Appears Rickard, was the stark in WF during said tourney ---- as in Rickard stayed home while his pups ventured south to participate and mix and mingle at HH.

After the HH tourney it appears the Ned & Bob went back to the Eyrie --- cuz the King of Westeros called for the heads of N & B to be delivered to KL by Arryn who is the boss in the Vale.

Missing information.

Guess when Brandon left HH Brandon went to RR and  when Ned & Bob left HH they went to the Eyrie.

The APP (I dunna have it) apparently says Brandon left RR to meet up with his pop.

Add the saga Cat quote with Brandon stating upon his return Brandon & Cat would be married.

Sooooooooo, Brandon, Edddard & Bob left Lyanna  and possibly Benjen at HH,why?

No, wait ---- since there must be a stark in WF --- I guess Benjen musta been home so Rickard could leave.

• 3 months later...

Archived