Favourite Targaryen King?

Canon Claude

Based on all the information we’ve gained so far from the ASOIAF books, TWOIAF, FAB, and the Dunk & Egg series, which Targaryen king do you like reading about the most?

In my case, it’s Aegon III. His story is so tragic compared to most of the others. He spent the Dance of the Dragons losing his family one by one until he was forced to watch his own mother eaten alive by a dragon. Then he’s surrounded by treacherous lords and schemers who don’t care that he’s clearly broken. And despite all that trauma he still visits plague victims and tries to do some good if he can. He also manages to deliver some real zingers in between his brooding and doesn’t care if he’s blunt. I can’t wait to read more about him in the second part of Fire and Blood.

I would like to wait for F&B part II to make final decision.

I changed opinion for Aegon I since he has more going for him than 3 big dragons, he had political and diplomatic skill when required.

Jaehaerys undoubtedly had some good decisions, but much about him is written from fan-boyish perspective. 

I dislike the way he treated his guardians especially after bloody war that was waged for similar issue. He also didn't had to bleed his hands by people still being tired of war and scared of Maegor's rule. Though reading about more peaceful reigns such as his, comes as welcome respite from usual brutality of other regimes.

I much prefer Aegon II to Rhaenyra, though both had flaws to say the least.

I am interested to know more about Maekar, Aegon V, Viserys II, Daeron II among others.

My opinion is that is easy to be best when not confronted with hard decisions or situations.

On 12/23/2018 at 10:57 PM, Canon Claude said:

Based on all the information we’ve gained so far from the ASOIAF books, TWOIAF, FAB, and the Dunk & Egg series, which Targaryen king do you like reading about the most?

In my case, it’s Aegon III. His story is so tragic compared to most of the others. He spent the Dance of the Dragons losing his family one by one until he was forced to watch his own mother eaten alive by a dragon. Then he’s surrounded by treacherous lords and schemers who don’t care that he’s clearly broken. And despite all that trauma he still visits plague victims and tries to do some good if he can. He also manages to deliver some real zingers in between his brooding and doesn’t care if he’s blunt. I can’t wait to read more about him in the second part of Fire and Blood.

I agree. Aegon III is endlessly fascinating. He’s sort of like if Stannis Baratheon became king. He wants to give peace and order to Westeros but he’s so disdainful of the treacherous nobility that it hampers his ability to reach people and win allies.

On 12/24/2018 at 9:56 AM, PrinceHenryris said:

I'm worried that FaB II might make me change my mind, but I'm a Viserys II fan.

Oh, Viserys II is going to become a very cold and unforgiving guy when those racist pricks he will one day have to call 'subjects' hound his beloved wife out of the country. The way they - and later even the regents and Lord Manderly - treated Larra's uncles was already ugly enough, but when Larra (who is already vilified and almost turned into a demoness by the good people of King's Landing in FaB) abandons him and the children he is never going to be the same again.

He'll do his duty to his royal brother and the mad sons the man is going to father later in life, but I doubt anyone is going to get any warmth from him after that. The fact that he forces Naerys to marry the brother she clearly did not love is already a strong indication what kind of man/father is going to be.

2 hours ago, James Steller said:

I agree. Aegon III is endlessly fascinating. He’s sort of like if Stannis Baratheon became king. He wants to give peace and order to Westeros but he’s so disdainful of the treacherous nobility that it hampers his ability to reach people and win allies.

Oh, he shows his shortsightedness and arrogance at the end of FaB. He has good intentions, but sitting on the Iron Throne like a mute statue is not going to give his Realm and subjects peace or justice or even full bellies. Yes, a royal progress also favors and entertains the lords, but the actual political purpose of that is show your people that you are there for them and allow them to approach you.

Aegon III is one of least popular kings of Westeros precisely because he apparently never interacted with any of his subjects outside the Red Keep (aside from the many campaigns against traitors and rebels he may be forced to lead - the fake Daerons, Aemond's son, possibly Unwin Peake and his remaining co-conspirators, etc. - assuming he doesn't leave all that to Viserys). This doesn't mean he didn't do the best to do something good from KL but chances are not that great that he'll have much success.

I'm sure most of the people of Westeros will never get full bellies during the reign of the Broken King nor will they learn that the man supposedly wanted them to have full bellies.

What I really hope to see, though, is him to slowly but surely destroy Unwin Peake and everything the man still holds dear - and in a manner that enables the man to see what's happening without being able to do anything about it. He cannot possibly allow Peake to get away with what he did and tried to do. Nor is Peake the kind of guy who would just quietly retire.

On 12/24/2018 at 7:38 AM, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I think Jaehaerys was probably the best, but my favourite to read about was Aegon III. 

I agree with this and I am most interested in reading about the post regency years in Volume II. The dynamic between Aegon and his brother kind pulled at my heartstrings. 

I am pro Full Bellies and Dancing Bears policy as well. :D

“I mean to give the smallfolk peace and food and justice. If that will not suffice to win their love, let Mushroom make a progress. Or perhaps we might send a dancing bear. Someone once told me that the commons love nothing half so much as dancing bears. You may call a halt to this feast tonight as well. Send the lords home to their own keeps and give the food to the hungry. Full bellies and dancing bears shall be my policy.” -The World of Ice and Fire, Aegon III

I’m going to answer the question as though it was ‘which targaryen king has FaB improved your opinion of the most?’ rather than ‘which targaryen king is uour favorite?’

The latter is no debate: Jaehaerys I. He did all he had to do: live long, father heirs and spares, and not be a terrible king. Even if he was mediocre in his governance, half a century of stable rule is more than anyone can ask of a monarch. Add in his legitimate accomplishments, and he’s obviously a great king.

As for who went up the most, its Aegon II. He is much less a grown Joffrey or wannabe Maegor than I took him for previously: he was willing to heed counsel against his own wishes, and was obviously brave and daring and willing to put himself in harm’s way to achieve his goals. Not a good king, but not as bad as the impression we’ve gotten in other sources (which only focused on his many flaws). If he was allowed to rule uncontested, I think he’d be an average king, rather than a monster.

On 12/23/2018 at 10:57 PM, Canon Claude said:

The past is history.  I prefer to look to the future.  My favorite Targaryen ruler is Daenerys Stormborn,

Archived