Video Games: In the Grim Darkness of licensed Games.

Toth

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

WTF! I was super close to completing the game, then it froze, I got a blue loading screen and then the disc popped out. When I put it back in and restarted the PS4, it said there’s no data and the game wants to start up like I had just loaded it up. Again, WTF?!?!?!?

Sorry, that's the 'low honor' ending. 

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

WTF! I was super close to completing the game, then it froze, I got a blue loading screen and then the disc popped out. When I put it back in and restarted the PS4, it said there’s no data and the game wants to start up like I had just loaded it up. Again, WTF?!?!?!?

Very "Metal Gear Solid."  I like it.

God of War IMO. My favorite of those four. Horizon is a close second though.

Red Dead didn't work for me as well as others. I thought the story and characters were great but found it a massive chore to play. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Planning to get a PS4 in a week or two.  Which game should I break it in with?

Spider-Man
Red Dead
Horizon
God of War

RDR2, but it's the only game I've played outside of Madden. If you like westerns/Westworld and enjoy GTA, you'll get addicted. 

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

RDR2, but it's the only game I've played outside of Madden. If you like westerns/Westworld and enjoy GTA, you'll get addicted. 

Yeah, I love westerns.  Red Dead or God of War were probably my top two choices.  I'll probably buy Spider-Man second, simply because I feel like Red Dead and God of War are tonally similar, whereas Spider-Man just looks like a fun, dumb action game.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

The contact high I'd get from the dried vomit would probably be worth it

56 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don't forget the accidental huffing of left over crushed up pills....

@Jace, Basilissa would probably have left over needles in there.  Would need thick gloves too.

Sooooooo this story about a dispute between Gearbox and a former employee is very much WTF. :blink:

You can also download the Resident Evil 2 remastered demo - and it really is remastered, they've completely revamped the game and put it in a much more modern engine (no more fixed cameras and tank controls) to make it more like a modern release.

Finally finished all three main story questlines in Odyssey. The writing in that game seriously fell apart in the final quarter of that game, which kinda turned things into a slog and caused me to only rarely go back to the game to finally finish. The writing was never amazing, but it servicable to downright solid through the first 60 hours or so. And then things got really bad and rushed; there were fewer unique missions too (other than the four super spoiler ones, which were great). I wonder if they ran out of time. 

Okay, War Thunder seems to be a mess to play on weekends. And I'm not only meaning the air battles anymore. After delving into guides, focusing on mastering my keyboard flight after changing the key selection and practicing spiral climbs in the practice mode I have managed to upgrade myself from abysmal to mediocre in these messy battles where everyone is at least lvl 30 up to lvl 100 and I'm the only lvl 8 peasant creeping around. So that's air.

Ground battles however... Creeping around in my low tier was actually fun so far, but I'm afraid I had grown to appreciate foolhardy bots keeping the battle fluid. I now had a series of matches... where every single player was a Sturmgeschütz and every single player was just sitting in some corner camping. Totally static games that were frustrating to play because you were shot to bits from 5 different directions the second you dared to look over a ridge. Also quite problematic for the reason of me only having Panzer IVs now... tanks that are very fragile and best at medium distance fights, so I'm entirely screwed in such long distance tennis matches against heavily armored foes that knock me out with one glancing hit.

Also there were quite a number of maps unknown to me. Maps with a whole lot of uneven ground that demand you to climb. And the Panzer IV is awful at that, with me taking ages for minor obstacles and leaving me exposed. Of course I also ended up cursing everything to hell and back when those campers keep knocking out my crew and now destroying the barrel of my gun with every glancing hit. So business as usual on that front. The most frustrating part however was one tropical battle where I was defending my position against three advancing players and would have managed, if not for the pounding of one of them with his AA-gun that immediately destroyed my barrel, my tracks and knocking out my crew in one fell swoop.

The last thing I have to do for the final satchel is get a perfect cougar and a perfect wolf pelt.  What sucks is that I found where wolves and cougars hang out and they are REALLY far away from my home base.  So I'll have to get one, trek it back home, then go back out to where I just was for the other.  Main reason being I don't want to get my perfect pelt and then die before getting it to Pearson.  That's happened to me for at least a half dozen perfect pelts.  Think I might just do a few missions after that and then start some legendary animal hunting, since the trinkets seem pretty helpful.

ETA: Still in chapter 3

On 1/11/2019 at 6:21 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

Is this the ending of the story? Did the PS4 actually eat your data and you now have to start over? What's going on over there!?

I need resolution!

I  was able to recover the game and got sweet vengeance!!!

Spoiler

I thought I was supposed to die again though.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:17 PM, briantw said:

Yeah, I love westerns.  Red Dead or God of War were probably my top two choices.  I'll probably buy Spider-Man second, simply because I feel like Red Dead and God of War are tonally similar, whereas Spider-Man just looks like a fun, dumb action game.

Both are great. Red dead has much more to do though. You can lost in the world for tens of hours without doing a single story mission.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:17 PM, briantw said:

Having played both God of War and Red Dead, I think they're really different tonally. God of War is a bit more linear, some room for deviation but it follows a set of events you need to do to push the story along and felt roughly 30-50 hours of game play. There was a significant focus on the father/son relationship and that drives the action whereas Red Dead was much slower, more open and more deliberate with a lot more varied characters and backstories. I like both but I preferred the drive of God of War so far.

Archived