Video Games: In the Grim Darkness of licensed Games.

Toth

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's pretty dope. The only downside to all that side work is that you sunk a ton of time into things you don't need to do to beat the game. I did jack and found the game to be pretty easy to beat. I think I skipped a total of two missions, and one was really early on in the game. 

I'm more about enjoying the ride at this point.  Being able to pick up everything I want and having plenty of things to keep my ammo and dead eye gauge full makes me feel like a Western God in these huge battles.

15 hours ago, Mexal said:

I'm still in Chapter 4 of RDR2 and slowing down. Hoping I can pick up the desire to keep pushing onward. Really hope there is a narrative payoff. 

I think chapter 6 pays off spectacularly but that’s just my opinion. I was never really bored so I always had the desire to push on :dunno:

Definitely considering getting Anthem just don’t know if I can justify a pre order

58 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I'm more about enjoying the ride at this point.  Being able to pick up everything I want and having plenty of things to keep my ammo and dead eye gauge full makes me feel like a Western God in these huge battles.

I mean to each their own, I just wanted to let you know that you don’t have to get the extras to beat a specific mission. That said, at some point in the future I’ll replay the game and try to accomplish everything while playing the white hat. I got all the Westworld joy riding out of my system going maximum black hat. Speaking of which….

15 hours ago, Mexal said:

I'm still in Chapter 4 of RDR2 and slowing down. Hoping I can pick up the desire to keep pushing onward. Really hope there is a narrative payoff. 

There is, big time. This was one of the few games that moved me at the end. There are different endings based on how you play the game and a choice you have to make at the end. Safe to say being a black hat and making the greedy decision did not go well for me, but that made the epilogue all the more sweet.

Now I’m really bummed I can’t play the first game. I didn’t realize going into RDR2 that it was a prequel to set up RDR1.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

I think chapter 6 pays off spectacularly but that’s just my opinion. I was never really bored so I always had the desire to push on :dunno:

Definitely considering getting Anthem just don’t know if I can justify a pre order

I'm not entirely bored, just have less desire to pick it up. I'll push through though. I want to see the pay offs.

27 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

You could play on Xbox backwards compatibility. If you have an Xbox One X it is basically a remaster. Love the story of RDR1 so much. Would be kinda cool to play after RDR2 if you go in unspoiled. 

I’ve got a PS4. It looks like you can stream it, but that costs $100 a year.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The PS4 streaming service (PSNow? I think) isn't really worth it unless you plan to play a lot of different games and you have no other means of playing them. Even if you played a bunch of classics available thru the service (RDR, Oblivion, Fallout games etc) it's still tough to see it as a bargain.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm planning on ordering it once I get to ~chapter 5 since I haven't played it yet either

ETA: Ordering it for PS3, not the streaming service which is highly dependent on your internet on how well it works

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

I'm planning on ordering it once I get to ~chapter 5 since I haven't played it yet either

ETA: Ordering it for PS3, not the streaming service which is highly dependent on your internet on how well it works

I'm jealous. My step-brother pawned my PS3 when I was in college to pay for an abortion. 

I'm pretty confident in the rumours that RDR1 will be put into RDR2 as a DLC of sorts so I'm sure you will get your chance Tywin.

RDR2 spoiler for Tywin

I'm not sure how far in the epilogues you got or if you completely finished but the area you only briefly go to (New Austin) and the area south of the Dakota River which includes Beecher's Hope and Blackwater is 2/3rds of the map of RDR 1.  The other area that is not in the map that is in RDR1 you can actually glitch and get into in RDR2 and the graphics are mostly finished and everything in the majority of the areas (minus some railroads) is exactly the same as in RDR1.  Given that New Austin has basically nothing to do in it besides hunting many people assume they made it in RDR2 so they can put RDR1 into it.

Aceluby,  once  you get RDR1 make sure to also get Undead Nightmare its expansion (you can download it and don't need the boxed version).  It is fantastic too and there are many references to it in RDR2 as well once you know what to look for.  Some even think there will be an Undead Nightmare 2 coming down the pipeline.

I recently started playing Heroes of Might and Magic V, another series I used to love but haven't kept up with. I don't know if it's nostalgia speaking, but so far I really like the single-player campaign (aged 3D graphics aside). The only problem is that playing it for uninterrupted 2 or 3-hour stretches is simply impossible for me at this point in my life, and it loses some of its charm when you have to play a single mission in multiple 20-30 minute chunks over a couple of days.

23 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I've considered it, but I think I'm gonna hold off for now. Need to sort through both extremes of the initial reactions before I decide.

I downloaded the preview demo last night.  It goes live on the 25th.  I'll let you know what I think.

10 minutes ago, Gorn said:

I recently started playing Heroes of Might and Magic V, another series I used to love but haven't kept up with. I don't know if it's nostalgia speaking, but so far I really like the single-player campaign (aged 3D graphics aside). The only problem is that playing it for uninterrupted 2 or 3-hour stretches is simply impossible for me at this point in my life, and it loses some of its charm when you have to play a single mission in multiple 20-30 minute chunks over a couple of days.

That's kind of how I feel about every game I play these days... :( 

10 minutes ago, Gorn said:

HoMM V is one of the better games in the series, and probably the best since III. 

That said, even after 20 years HoMM III is still ridiculously fun. I found myself playing it a good bit over the holidays.

HoMM V was the first one made by Ubisoft. It had all the elements to be as great HoMM III, but for some reason, they cut back on some of the features, though at the same time they did add some. They limited the hell out of the map editor, which was such a strong feature for HoMM III. I remember spending hours creating a map with a scenario in mind, only to find out there was a very limited number of town you could put in it.

Then Ubisoft decided to change things up more, including the title structure, and the 6th one really wasn't that interesting or fun to play, not to mention the introduction of the online signup BS to get additional rewards.

The seventh in the series had potential, too, with a well rounded skill system for the heroes, and more diverse factions and unit rosters than the 6th, but it was ridiculously buggy. It's actually the only one in the entire series for which I was able to finish all the campaign chapters. I suppose that speaks to the difficulty of the game, as the 3rd one was hard as hell.

As it stands, this series probably one of the least supported in Ubisoft's library.

Ordered my PS4 Pro, as they are currently forty bucks off on newegg (although you need a code).  Started out with Horizon, which was nineteen dollars on Amazon.  Probably gonna order God of War tonight or tomorrow and then get Red Dead in a week or two.

21 minutes ago, Sci-2 said:

Thinking about getting Slay the Spire...until then the only game I can manage on my Mac work computer is Circle Empires...

Slay the Spire is awesome.  Highly recommend it.  I got into it by watching a streamer I like play it.  It's a fun game.  Really the only thing I dislike about it is that I feel like you're entirely at the mercy of RNG as to whether or not any given run is going to be successful.  It's frustrating when you just don't get the cards to build a proper deck or don't get good artifacts (or whatever they are called) and there's really not much you can do about it when that happens.

It's fun when you get a god deck or even just a solid deck, but frustrating when the game decides it's time to fuck you.

15 hours ago, briantw said:

Ordered my PS4 Pro, as they are currently forty bucks off on newegg (although you need a code).  Started out with Horizon, which was nineteen dollars on Amazon.  Probably gonna order God of War tonight or tomorrow and then get Red Dead in a week or two.

I also got those games, plus Last of Us, when I bought my Pro.  I am still obsessed with Horizon, however, and haven't even opened the others yet.  Have fun.

Got to play a bunch of RDR2 yesterday as I stayed home sick from work.  Have just one more mission left before starting chapter 6.  After coming back from Guarma the game took all of my improved arrows.  I had ~20 of them and died to a cougar when switching over to my bow only to realize I didn't have the right ammo.

Also, dynamite arrows are just awesome.  Made the fight with the pinkertons at the end of chapter 4 just ridiculous as I blew everything up around me.

Should end up finishing it in the next week or so.  Hopefully my baby holds off being born so I can complete it.

Archived