Video Games: In the Grim Darkness of licensed Games.

Toth

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Not to mention the mystical teleporting horse (no idea if RDR2 does that as well), which on occasion is outright hilarious.

RDR 1 does. RDR2 does not.  You leave your horse across the map but not in a stable and thats where he/she stays till you go get them.

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Given that RDr1's save system (along with the GTA's) make you have to manually save only at certain locations this was a definite improvement.  Besides which unless you have other people playing your game too you should not need the save system, the auto save is perfectly functional even if you glitch on purpose to get through landscape.

I like having manual saves considering that this is the type of game where you can accidentally end up with a $100 bounty in the early game because you accidentally hit the wrong button or happened to bump into someone because the physics system hates you and then they decide that mildly brushing against them was a capital crime and pull their gun and open fire.   Or when someone talks shit to you and begs you for a fight, then you knock them out and apparently that's your fault and some rando reports you to the sheriff, ending in an inevitable firefight where your previously upstanding character suddenly murders two dozen cops in cold blood.

Or when you decide to get too cute with your first duel and shoot their hat off but take too long and get murdered. 

4 hours ago, briantw said:

I like having manual saves considering that this is the type of game where you can accidentally end up with a $100 bounty in the early game because you accidentally hit the wrong button or happened to bump into someone because the physics system hates you and then they decide that mildly brushing against them was a capital crime and pull their gun and open fire.   Or when someone talks shit to you and begs you for a fight, then you knock them out and apparently that's your fault and some rando reports you to the sheriff, ending in an inevitable firefight where your previously upstanding character suddenly murders two dozen cops in cold blood.

Or when you decide to get too cute with your first duel and shoot their hat off but take too long and get murdered. 

Or when you do the most minor thing in St Denis and every cop immediately wants to murder you ,

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

Oh the firefights I've had. I've probably had to fight my way out of every town at least once.

Sounds about right. I'm pretty sure I killed damn near everyone in one small town I visited.

If you're gonna go black hat, you might as well go full black hat.

23 hours ago, briantw said:

Its not really accidental in any of those cases.  You could always choose to not do anything.  Sure you might die but dying literally has zero cost in RDR2.  You are getting the bounties because you are a psychopath.  Besides all you need do to avoid bounties is kill the witness or intimidate them.

Anyone been playing Apex Legends? I'm thinking of giving it a go since I need a break from anything story-based after finishing Night in the Woods. I haven't really gotten into any battle royale games before, but I guess there's zero risk here since it's a free to play game.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Anyone been playing Apex Legends? I'm thinking of giving it a go since I need a break from anything story-based after finishing Night in the Woods. I haven't really gotten into any battle royale games before, but I guess there's zero risk here since it's a free to play game.

I've heard nothing but good things. Wary of adding to EA's success though 

7 minutes ago, Fez said:

It’s fun for a battle royale. Some cool features (like pinging, respawn, ultimate abilities) that make it stand out from other br’s.

the pinging system is especially good since it’s not a super disadvantage if you don’t play with friends or don’t wear a headet to talk to people. 

24 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I've heard nothing but good things. Wary of adding to EA's success though 

I'm not sure how much success EA is actually having these days. Seems like their only consistent hits anymore are the sports games, and my understanding is that most of them aren't selling as well as they used to either.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving company though.

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm not sure how much success EA is actually having these days. Seems like their only consistent hits anymore are the sports games, and my understanding is that most of them aren't selling as well as they used to either.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving company though.

Apex Legends hit 25 million users in a week, causing EA's stock to almost completely recover basically overnight from the disasters of 2018.

Too many damn games coming out this weekend. I'll probably leave Metro until later in the year when there's a slower period, hopefully by then some of the many bugs it apparently has will be ironed out. 

Looking forward to jumping into Anthem tomorrow and the Resident Evil 2 DLC on Friday. That remake is really amazing. I've been playing it non-stop the past couple weeks and ended up nabbing all the achievements. 

Finally finished RDR2 and I think it was the most enjoyable game I've played in a decade.  Probably put 100 hours into it and was sad when it did finally end.  The only gripe I've ever had was that during the two train missions I had I wasn't able to hitch my horse and it decided to follow us to its death.  First time wasn't a big deal since it was a shitty horse, the second time I had to replay the stupid mission 3 times until I did it without my horse dying.

Speaking of horses

Spoiler

I think the saddest part for me was when my horse died.  Got it in chapter 2 and won every horse race handily with it.  Kind of shitty that when transitioning to Marston that I lost ~$4k and a shit-ton of items I had been looting for 6 chapters.

I played as a good guy, so never had to fight my way out of town.  If I did happen to commit a crime, I got outta dodge, found the nearest post office, and payed the small bounty right away.  Never killed a cop that wasn't part of a mission.  I also really enjoyed the mundane stuff.  Chores to get better dead eye early, cash/meat for the camp, bounty hunting, the stranger missions.... only thing I didn't finish up were the trophy hunts and the challenges.

I got RDR1 for my birthday a few days ago, so I've been playing that.  I see they've retconned a lot of stuff for RDR2 and wish they would have taken a different direction, story-wise.  I think they missed a good opportunity to play as Dutch and see his descent first-hand.

14 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Finally finished RDR2 and I think it was the most enjoyable game I've played in a decade.  Probably put 100 hours into it and was sad when it did finally end.  The only gripe I've ever had was that during the two train missions I had I wasn't able to hitch my horse and it decided to follow us to its death.  First time wasn't a big deal since it was a shitty horse, the second time I had to replay the stupid mission 3 times until I did it without my horse dying.

Speaking of horses

Reveal hidden contents

I think the saddest part for me was when my horse died.  Got it in chapter 2 and won every horse race handily with it.  Kind of shitty that when transitioning to Marston that I lost ~$4k and a shit-ton of items I had been looting for 6 chapters.

I played as a good guy, so never had to fight my way out of town.  If I did happen to commit a crime, I got outta dodge, found the nearest post office, and payed the small bounty right away.  Never killed a cop that wasn't part of a mission.  I also really enjoyed the mundane stuff.  Chores to get better dead eye early, cash/meat for the camp, bounty hunting, the stranger missions.... only thing I didn't finish up were the trophy hunts and the challenges.

I got RDR1 for my birthday a few days ago, so I've been playing that.  I see they've retconned a lot of stuff for RDR2 and wish they would have taken a different direction, story-wise.  I think they missed a good opportunity to play as Dutch and see his descent first-hand.

What choice did you make at the end of chapter six?

Also, I was trying to hint to you that you’d lose a lot of your stuff so it might not be worth the time to complete everything. Anyways, I’d encourage you to play it again in a few months as a black hat. I had so much fun going maximum villain. I still remember when that lady asked me for help because her horse fell on her leg. And help her I did. With a shotgun. To the face. Her troubles were over then.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What choice did you make at the end of chapter six?

Also, I was trying to hint to you that you’d lose a lot of your stuff so it might not be worth the time to complete everything. Anyways, I’d encourage you to play it again in a few months as a black hat. I had so much fun going maximum villain. I still remember when that lady asked me for help because her horse fell on her leg. And help her I did. With a shotgun. To the face. Her troubles were over then.

Spoiler

I helped John Marston which ended in a fist fight with Micah and me dying of TB as the sun rose over the hillside.

I went to play Apex Legends and discovered I pretty much cannot. Turns out I am part of a fairly sizable group of Nvidia card owners who regularly get CTDs while playing the game. I'm not sure if this is a Respawn issue or a Nvidia issue, but Nvidia currently lists it as a "known issue" on its most recent drivers (it was on the last two too). Some people suggest rolling back three updates, but I don't want to deal with that hassle for a game I don't know if I'll even like.

I did play one game though, and it seemed like it had promise. I had pretty extreme screen freezing issues though, where the game would lock up for up to 5 seconds at a time, until finally crashing. Which is a shame, because my team was in the top 3 in the final circle when the CTD finally happened. Not through anything I did of course, one of the other random folks on my team was some Apex god, who solo killed at least 10 players during the match; including two solo team kills. I mostly just ran around trying to figure out how to compare weapons on the ground to the ones I had equipped.

43 minutes ago, aceluby said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I helped John Marston which ended in a fist fight with Micah and me dying of TB as the sun rose over the hillside.

Spoiler

I made the same choice, but because I was a villain, I got a two foot long knife in the back. What kind of vengeance did you get in the epilogue?  

Archived