Video Games: In the Grim Darkness of licensed Games.

Toth

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:
  Hide contents

I made the same choice, but because I was a villain, I got a two foot long knife in the back. What kind of vengeance did you get in the epilogue?  

Spoiler

Pretty sure the epilogue is the same regardless.  Dutch showed up at the last minute and shot Micah before running off.

In other news, I'm about 2 hours into RDR1 and the damn thing keeps glitching on me on one of the main missions.  I think it may be a disc issue, so I'm trying to fix the scratches first and re-installing.  Next option will be to just pony up the $$$ and get the PSN version.

Had dinner with a nice couple in Red Dead 2 who drugged me, robbed me, and left me for dead in a mass grave near their property.  I came to, staggered back to their house, killed the man with a hatchet, then hog-tied the wife and carried her to the mass grave and dumped her there.  The most impressive part was that she even had dialogue recorded for players who did that, saying, "No, anywhere but here" or something to that effect, and muttering about her mother, who the couple definitely killed at some earlier point and whose bones were presumably also in that mass grave.

I've found myself putting off pushing further in the main story (still in act two) while I wander around, hunt, fish, work on challenges, rob people, steal stage coaches, and other random tasks.  Game has a lot going on.  Spent an hour earlier just fishing trying to catch three fucking bluegills for a challenge.  Pickerels can fuck right off.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:04 PM, Rhom said:

I loved the gameplay in MGSV.  I had Rebel Yell set as my chopper music (you can hear it playing faintly and getting louder as your chopper comes to evac you).  One day at work, I was sitting at my desk and felt my pulse start to quicken and started getting antsy and couldn’t figure it out... then realized Rebel Yell was on the radio playing faintly overhead. :lol: 

That said, the narrative was really disjointed and felt unconnected.  I also felt robbed of any true finale and was forced to read up on Kojima’s plans for DLC to even make a semblance of sense for some of the plot points.

Sorry for the late reply. I got bored of it after about 8 missions. I constantly felt disconnected with the gameplay and it's world. At a certain point I was actually thinking about doing the laundry while playing.

Im playing Resident Evil 2 Remake right now and im enjoying it.

I'm still on chapter 6 of RDR2 but for the moment, I'm taking a break and playing some Witcher 3. Not entirely sure what it is about RDR2 that hasn't completely enraptured me but I feel myself completely slowing down. I will finish it at some point though as I am curious how it ends but nothing more than curious.

That being said, I'm thoroughly enjoying Witcher 3. Interesting story so far and a lot of gameplay elements that provides some expedited play. With the leveling, skills, crafting and alchemy, this has a lot more traditional RPG elements to it. Got a long way to go.

47 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Sorry for the late reply. I got bored of it after about 8 missions. I constantly felt disconnected with the gameplay and it's world. At a certain point I was actually thinking about doing the laundry while playing.

Im playing Resident Evil 2 Remake right now and im enjoying it.

I get it.  Like I said, very disjointed.  Had some good sneaking and such, but no flow to the game and got very repetitive.

To get the “ending” you have to replay multiple missions with certain restrictions (like complete the mission with only stuff you find).  It became ridiculous.

42 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I'm still on chapter 6 of RDR2 but for the moment, I'm taking a break and playing some Witcher 3. Not entirely sure what it is about RDR2 that hasn't completely enraptured me but I feel myself completely slowing down. I will finish it at some point though as I am curious how it ends but nothing more than curious.

That being said, I'm thoroughly enjoying Witcher 3. Interesting story so far and a lot of gameplay elements that provides some expedited play. With the leveling, skills, crafting and alchemy, this has a lot more traditional RPG elements to it. Got a long way to go.

I'd say Witcher 3 is a better game.  Red Dead 2 is a better experience.  There's just so much depth and so much shit to do in Red Dead 2, but Witcher 3 doesn't make it feel like you're fighting the controls half the time.   It just tells a really tight story with great writing and acting.  Red Dead has that too, but it feels more spread out.  

There are lots of good side stories in Red Dead 2, but none of them feel as significant as the best Witcher 3 side quests, which I think really sold how terrifying and perilous the Witcher 3 world can be.

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

I get it.  Like I said, very disjointed.  Had some good sneaking and such, but no flow to the game and got very repetitive.

To get the “ending” you have to replay multiple missions with certain restrictions (like complete the mission with only stuff you find).  It became ridiculous.

I fully agree. I really tried. This was my 5th attempt at the game, but if it aint for me, it aint for me.

Im looking into Dead Cells and Hollow Knight after RE2.

On another note, I saw the full single player campaign of Anthem and....wow...I feel like the game world is being trolled at how lackadaisicalit all looks.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:10 PM, briantw said:

Had dinner with a nice couple in Red Dead 2 who drugged me, robbed me, and left me for dead in a mass grave near their property.  I came to, staggered back to their house, killed the man with a hatchet, then hog-tied the wife and carried her to the mass grave and dumped her there.  The most impressive part was that she even had dialogue recorded for players who did that, saying, "No, anywhere but here" or something to that effect, and muttering about her mother, who the couple definitely killed at some earlier point and whose bones were presumably also in that mass grave.

I've found myself putting off pushing further in the main story (still in act two) while I wander around, hunt, fish, work on challenges, rob people, steal stage coaches, and other random tasks.  Game has a lot going on.  Spent an hour earlier just fishing trying to catch three fucking bluegills for a challenge.  Pickerels can fuck right off.

Did you read the notes in their place?  A Little Targaryen action going on there.  Hilariously when I went back after being robbed the latest time I wanted to try something I saw in a vid and the dude will just chase you forever on foot if you disarm him.  I had him follow me on foot back to Valentine.  Valentine is where all the crazies are.

So here's a question: Is there a way yet to display on my PC screen how much battery life is left in my Xbox One controller? It doesn't need to be in-game, just at my desktop is fine. I remember looking into this years ago, and at the time there wasn't, which I thought was really stupid and I'm hoping the problem has been fixed. I know when the controllers are hooked up to an Xbox One they're thrilled to let you know how much battery life is left, but not on PC.

I've got Apex Legends working and because Respawn actually enabled some aim assist for controllers used on PC, I'm using mine and don't want the battery to give out in the middle of a match. Whereas in the single player games I usually play I've never really cared (most even pause the game if the controller disconnects because the battery died).

21 hours ago, Rhom said:

The last third or so of the game was incredibly disappointing. The replay missions shit was such a weird decision. Overall I did like it though. I’m a big fan of any good stealth to kill/tranquilize games, even if the story was fucking bonkers(this was my first MGS experience). 

Thinking about picking up another PS4 because of my son's growing gaming time... how's that work with PSN ID?

Example.  I have Witcher 3 on my PS4 that I bought digitally.  I have yet to play it.  If I get a PS4 (or PS4 Pro) and put my existing PSN ID on it, can I just download it and go?

55 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Thinking about picking up another PS4 because of my son's growing gaming time... how's that work with PSN ID?

Example.  I have Witcher 3 on my PS4 that I bought digitally.  I have yet to play it.  If I get a PS4 (or PS4 Pro) and put my existing PSN ID on it, can I just download it and go?

Yes. I did this with RDR2. I bought the game on my buddies PS4 and his ID then bought my own PS4. I had to add his PSN ID/Use Name and download it/play it from that user name. Any future games, I use my own PSN ID/User name.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Yes. I did this with RDR2. I bought the game on my buddies PS4 and his ID then bought my own PS4. I had to add his PSN ID/Use Name and download it/play it from that user name. Any future games, I use my own PSN ID/User name.

Perfect.

Wonder if it matters that it is already downloaded on my machine or if they allow multiple installs for the same ID?

Been trying to get the challenge in Red Dead that tasks you with killing ten enemies with crafted shotgun ammo.  I came upon a group of Lemoyne Raiders harassing a stagecoach driver and decided to intervene, equipping my incendiary shells.  I quickly blasted the Raiders, but got a Wanted notification, because apparently the stagecoach driver was okay with being robbed by them but less than okay with me setting them ablaze.  I decided to high tail it out of there.  In the process, I guided my horse through a small fire (that I admittedly set) and, seconds later, my horse randomly erupted into flame and died in the span of moments.  

That was not how I saw that encounter playing out.

Archived