Video Games: In the Grim Darkness of licensed Games.

Toth

When my PS4 was replaced it wiped all the progress I had on Horizon.  This makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and howl.  Is there some way to get my progress/saves back on the newer machine? 

10 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

When my PS4 was replaced it wiped all the progress I had on Horizon.  This makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and howl.  Is there some way to get my progress/saves back on the newer machine? 

Are you a PS+ subscriber?  If so, I think your saves are automatically backed to the cloud. 

I am a Plus subscriber but it says no online data to download.  I don't know.  I have no memory of signing up for Plus so who knows when I did it.  Maybe too late.  Thanks anyway.  I may just have to wait a while then play through again.

Today I preordered Anthem(which I thought came out today for some reason) and Sekiro Shadows Die Twice.  I also bought No Man's Sky, Resident Evil 2 and Call of Cthulhu.

Fucking sheeple. Your bleating is an affront. Why do you all hate yourselves so? 

I know why I hate you, but really that is no need for this self abuse. If I have been neglectful in my scourging of your selves please but say the word and my harassment will resume in earnest.

So in my ongoing search for a laptop, I have another question.

I have the choice between a GTX 1050 or a 1050 Ti. Now, most places will tell you that the 1050 only has 2GB, while the Ti has 4, but this appears to be a version of the 1050 that does have 4GB, which I’ve read is used in some laptops. Given all comparison sites assume that you’re comparing the 2GB 1050, I really don’t know how the 4GB version compares to the Ti.

I’m guessing that the difference is not really noticeable apart from at higher resolutions and framerates, and I doubt it’s enough to pay an extra £50 for. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

@Stannis Eats No Peaches

NotebookCheck benchmarks 4GB versions of each card, with a long list of gaming benchmarks at different settings. The TI version generally performs 10-30% higher framerates depending on the game. I'd look at the games benchmarked and see which of them best fit your interests, and decide from there.

I... I just finished NfS Carbon. That... that actually went absurdly fast. In hindsight, it seems more like a full-prize expansion pack to Most Wanted, but it still is an entirely enjoyable game.

I'm just slightly iffed that for unlocking the iconic BMW M3 you have to play through the game three times while only using one class of car. That seems like a fairly stupid way to drag things out.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a great game and I am getting into it more now that the plot has thickened a bit.  I love that you can climb on pretty much anything. 

Tonight I am going to try out Anthem.  We'll see what happens.

6 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a great game and I am getting into it more now that the plot has thickened a bit.  I love that you can climb on pretty much anything. 

Tonight I am going to try out Anthem.  We'll see what happens.

I just loved that this was the first Assassin's Creed game where stealth actually works.  Maybe it was similar in Origins but man sneaking around used to be borderline pointless because enemies would spot you and immediately the entire world would be alerted to your presence.

I'm usually a lurker in this thread, but I wanted to ask you guys since you know way more about video games than I do.  I've recently been hankering to play Diablo 2, so I tried to find my CD and registration code, but it seems like both were lost in the latest move.  So I am torn between downloading Diablo 2 again from Blizzard for 20 bucks or buying a new game. 

Are there similar games out there like Diablo 2 that I should check out instead?  I'm looking for a PC game that:

1.  Isn't too graphics intensive (probably anything after 2016 is a no go)

2.  Is an RPG where the character choices you make allows you to play different styles.

3.  Is fun, relatively inexpensive, and at least somewhat similar to Diablo 2. 

18 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm usually a lurker in this thread, but I wanted to ask you guys since you know way more about video games than I do.  I've recently been hankering to play Diablo 2, so I tried to find my CD and registration code, but it seems like both were lost in the latest move.  So I am torn between downloading Diablo 2 again from Blizzard for 20 bucks or buying a new game. 

Are there similar games out there like Diablo 2 that I should check out instead?  I'm looking for a PC game that:

2.  Is an RPG where the character choices you make allows you to play different styles.

I too have been wanting to play D2 for a while. Problem is I mainly played for PVP and I suspect there aren’t many players left, especially since they made a lot of fixes to D3.   

34 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Diablo 3 is always an option.

Path Of Exile is good and free and has a massive skill tree.

Grim Dawn is pretty cool and I believe has a good bit of class-mixing.

My personal favourite is probably still Titan Quest, which originally came out in 2006 and got a updated anniversary edition in 2016. It's orginally made by some of the same people that made Grim Dawn.

6 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Diablo 3 is always an option.

Path Of Exile is good and free and has a massive skill tree.

Grim Dawn is pretty cool and I believe has a good bit of class-mixing.

My personal favourite is probably still Titan Quest, which originally came out in 2006 and got a updated anniversary edition in 2016. It's orginally made by some of the same people that made Grim Dawn.

Thanks, those do look promising. 

50 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

There is also Torchlight and Torchlight 2

On 2/22/2019 at 8:32 AM, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I have the choice between a GTX 1050 or a 1050 Ti. Now, most places will tell you that the 1050 only has 2GB, while the Ti has 4, but this appears to be a version of the 1050 that does have 4GB, which I’ve read is used in some laptops. Given all comparison sites assume that you’re comparing the 2GB 1050, I really don’t know how the 4GB version compares to the Ti.

The ti also has a higher-speed graphics pipeline which does make it better even without the superior RAM. As Ran said, it depends on what sort of games you're playing.

Personally I wouldn't recommend anything less than 1060 6GB for gaming purposes, but the mobile version is quite a lot more expensive and the 1050ti is not a massive climbdown on it considering the price issues.

I recently quit Assassin's Creed: Unity, and I agree with the critical consensus that it is the worst Assassin's Creed game. Aside from the fact that its royalist/reactionary sympathies leave an unpleasant taste in my mouth, I disliked the change in fight mechanics, co-op play being forced upon me, juggling multiple in-game currencies, as well as major bugs which still remain unfixed to this day even with the latest patch. The protagonist is boring, the main story is meh, and it misses huge opportunities provided by its setting. My breaking point was when I accidentally started the Dead Kings DLC midway through the main game, played it for an hour, became bored and wanted to return to the main game, but was not allowed not do so. I quit and uninstalled it.

I started Syndicate instead, and from what I've seen so far it's a major improvement.

8 minutes ago, Gorn said:

I recently quit Assassin's Creed: Unity, and I agree with the critical consensus that it is the worst Assassin's Creed game. Aside from the fact that its royalist/reactionary sympathies leave an unpleasant taste in my mouth, I disliked the change in fight mechanics, co-op play being forced upon me, juggling multiple in-game currencies, as well as major bugs which still remain unfixed to this day even with the latest patch. The protagonist is boring, the main story is meh, and it misses huge opportunities provided by its setting. My breaking point was when I accidentally started the Dead Kings DLC midway through the main game, played it for an hour, became bored and wanted to return to the main game, but was not allowed not do so. I quit and uninstalled it.

I started Syndicate instead, and from what I've seen so far it's a major improvement.

Yikes! I hate to break it to you but Syndicate will also break you.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:59 AM, briantw said:

I just loved that this was the first Assassin's Creed game where stealth actually works.  Maybe it was similar in Origins but man sneaking around used to be borderline pointless because enemies would spot you and immediately the entire world would be alerted to your presence.

Well it looks like I picked the right one. I downloaded Odyssey like a week ago and started it yesterday. I’ve somehow never played any Assassin’s Creed games before this, but have been really into stealth games lately. 

7 hours ago, Gorn said:

You cN return to main game, just take coah back to paris

DUUUUNE! is coming back. Funcom has made a deal with Legendary, who are producing the new movie, to put out three games over six years. Licensed games like this have gotten rarer, and much better than they used to be, so I'm not concerned about that. But the best that can be said about Funcom is that they often make games that are interesting and ambitious but very flawed. So we'll see. I'd love to play a really well done Dune game.

Also, I've been replaying Steamworld Heist. That game rocks.

Archived