Video Games: In the Grim Darkness of licensed Games.

Toth

36 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Then once Colonialism starts (usually in the Iberian peninsula like you mentioned) you can use all of your saved up Monarch points to upgrade your capital until you get Colonialism there. (Improving provinces advances your Institutions in provinces)

AH! Damn! Yes! Now I get it! Sorry for having been so blockheaded, Fez, that's what you meant by working it in with the development!

37 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

You know what? I'm gonna go be Brandenburg and conquer the world. You've talked me into it.

Sorry. But I'm thinking you will likely will be far better than me at this point: https://s17.directupload.net/images/190315/ifvotfoj.png

6 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

You know, I play BG I and BG II multiplayer sometimes, and I see a screen name that is the same as the one from his blog. I know it's only a million to one chance it's him, but I'd like to think that it is.

I'm on Steam under this name, but I've never played BG1 and 2 multiplayer, well not on Steam (I did when BG1 first game out, 20 years ago) anyway.

On 2/26/2019 at 12:01 PM, GallowKnight said:

My personal favourite is probably still Titan Quest, which originally came out in 2006 and got a updated anniversary edition in 2016. It's orginally made by some of the same people that made Grim Dawn.

I downloaded Titan Quest Anniversary Edition off Steam, but for some reason when I went to install it just got caught in a loop and never finished.  So I got my money back and instead bought Torchlight 2.

On 2/26/2019 at 12:10 PM, Guy Kilmore said:

There is also Torchlight and Torchlight 2

Definitely enjoying it thus far.  I'm going with a frost/lightning mage for the first go round.  The gameplay is surprisingly similar to Diablo 2, but with a brighter color palette.  They even fixed a few of the annoying things in D2 that didn't add anything (like having to click on gold or hold CTR to run).

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I downloaded Titan Quest Anniversary Edition off Steam, but for some reason when I went to install it just got caught in a loop and never finished.  So I got my money back and instead bought Torchlight 2.

Definitely enjoying it thus far.  I'm going with a frost/lightning mage for the first go round.  The gameplay is surprisingly similar to Diablo 2, but with a brighter color palette.  They even fixed a few of the annoying things in D2 that didn't add anything (like having to click on gold or hold CTR to run).

That was my thought of Torchlight as well.   I haven't tried 2 yet, but my friends say the same. 

19 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Torchlight 2 is a damn good choice too. I especially like that you get a animal companion that can run back and sell your stuff, so you don't have to go back to the store and empty your loot all the time.

On 3/16/2019 at 3:46 AM, GallowKnight said:

Torchlight 2 is a damn good choice too. I especially like that you get a animal companion that can run back and sell your stuff, so you don't have to go back to the store and empty your loot all the time.

I just bought this.  Looking forward to trying it out tonight.  Everyone seems to like it.

Also, how many times am I going to fall for Diablo Immortal?  Hey look a new Diablo is coming out...oh...it's just that one...

2 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

I just bought this.  Looking forward to trying it out tonight.  Everyone seems to like it.

Also, how many times am I going to fall for Diablo Immortal?  Hey look a new Diablo is coming out...oh...it's just that one...

Just wait for the expansion Battery: Mortal

I went back to Hollow Knight after being inspired by the trailer for the new game, and I finally beat that thing. Got the good ending too. The dream bosses were way less challenging than I thought they'd be and I got good enough at the platforming to collect all the tree root essences too. The White Palace was kind of a nightmare, and seemed like something from a totally different game, but I eventually got through it. I kinda cheesed it though by having the grubsong, deep focus, and soul twister (I think?) charms all equipped, which meant I had nearly infinite health and didn't have to repeat sections that often because of death.

Question, I'm considering buying a PS4, rather than upgrading my PC. I'm hearing rumours about the PS5, but I don't think I can really wait that long. Should I wait? Will prices come down at any time soon?

And then really should I move over to the Playstation from PC, I generally play strategy games, but I think I'm going to need some games with a bit less time investment soon.

On 3/16/2019 at 6:46 AM, GallowKnight said:

Yeah, that's a nice feature, although at least for my mage doing that is pretty dangerous since I rely on the animal to distract and tank the enemies.  I've only died twice thus far, and fully 50% of those were because my badger had gone to town.  While I think hardcore mode is for masochists, I nonetheless generally play these games to avoid dying as much as possible, even if it means being overly conservative.  Something about playing action RPGs - it just feels very cheap to be nonchalant about your character dying. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Question, I'm considering buying a PS4, rather than upgrading my PC. I'm hearing rumours about the PS5, but I don't think I can really wait that long. Should I wait? Will prices come down at any time soon?

And then really should I move over to the Playstation from PC, I generally play strategy games, but I think I'm going to need some games with a bit less time investment soon.

I don't think the PS5 will be any time soon.  Maybe the end of 2020 but that's a long way off.  Not sure on prices.  I'd imagine they won't be dropping significantly in the near future but that's just speculation on my part.

If you like strategy games you should definitely keep your PC around, as consoles never have many good ones.  But as someone who recently bought a PS4 after being PC only for a couple of years, I like it a lot.  Sony has some killer exclusives like God of War and Spider-Man, although I've spent most of my time playing Red Dead.

I'm not sure how to react to this Google Stadia stuff. If the tech works the way they say it does, it could be incredible; but if the tech works the way they say it does, it's going to be scary how much power Google has over gaming.

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Moving from a superior platform to an inferior platform (albeit one with a - very small number - of excellent exclusive games) is always a choice I would strongly advise against, especially as the number of good strategy games on PS4 is near non-existent.

Games requiring more time investment is a sweeping problem in all genres and on console as well as PC, though. For example, the FPS genre used to have lots of great 10-15 hour one-and-done games but with the odd honourable exception (Metro: Last Light and the Wolfenstein series) it's been pretty much replaced by open-world shooters taking 50-100 hours to complete. That's not a problem that's going to disappear on console.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm not sure how to react to this Google Stadia stuff. If the tech works the way they say it does, it could be incredible; but if the tech works the way they say it does, it's going to be scary how much power Google has over gaming.

Is this like Geforce Now?

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Is this like Geforce Now?

Essentially, but with Google throwing massive amounts of infrastructure at it. 7500+ edge servers around the world, custom GPUs from AMD outputting 2x the graphical power of consoles, etc. Youtube links not just to streamed videos, but to saved game states so basically others can jump into the exact moment of your game and see if they can improve on whatever you did, etc.

Due later this year. No info on pricing, not much info on latency (though according to Digital Foundry who got to try it out and did some measurments, it seemed to be on par with the latency seen on other such streaming services). 

Oh, and they plan to allow 4K HDR 60FPS, hope to get it up to 120FPS at some point in the future, and also they're thinking about 8K when that becomes a thing for gaming.

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

Moving from a superior platform to an inferior platform (albeit one with a - very small number - of excellent exclusive games) is always a choice I would strongly advise against, especially as the number of good strategy games on PS4 is near non-existent.

Games requiring more time investment is a sweeping problem in all genres and on console as well as PC, though. For example, the FPS genre used to have lots of great 10-15 hour one-and-done games but with the odd honourable exception (Metro: Last Light and the Wolfenstein series) it's been pretty much replaced by open-world shooters taking 50-100 hours to complete. That's not a problem that's going to disappear on console.

Thanks, yeah that is a bit of a worry for me. Though technically my 5 year old pc is not capable of graphics a PS4 could present to me, so it would be a sort of an upgrade. 

Luckily a lot of strategy games are not graphics intensive, well the ones I like anyway ( EU4, Civ 6, FM19 etc) so my pc is fine in that regard, the only game I really bothered with is Total Warhammer 2 which doesn't run very well now.

Most of these strategy games are really quite 'one more turn-ish' and end up taking up too much time. And I just have so many of them now its hard finish anything.

I'm mostly looking at games like Red Dead 2 as something I can put an hour into every now and again and not feel like I'm trapped. There are just so many good games I'm missing out on I think.

26 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Thanks, yeah that is a bit of a worry for me. Though technically my 5 year old pc is not capable of graphics a PS4 could present to me, so it would be a sort of an upgrade. 

Luckily a lot of strategy games are not graphics intensive, well the ones I like anyway ( EU4, Civ 6, FM19 etc) so my pc is fine in that regard, the only game I really bothered with is Total Warhammer 2 which doesn't run very well now.

Most of these strategy games are really quite 'one more turn-ish' and end up taking up too much time. And I just have so many of them now its hard finish anything.

I'm mostly looking at games like Red Dead 2 as something I can put an hour into every now and again and not feel like I'm trapped. There are just so many good games I'm missing out on I think.

It depends on your PC, but a graphics upgrade may be doable. The good thing about the 20x series coming out is that the 10x series is dropping in price fairly dramatically. The 1060 6GB, which is the sweet spot now for standard HD gaming and okay for 4K on undemanding games, has fallen in price significantly in recent months.

Also worth noting that Red Dead 2 will probably come to PC next year as well. The only real exclusives that Sony has are Last of Us, the Uncharted series, Zero Dawn and the new Spider-Man game, which are all great but I'm not sure justify the closed garden of going with the PS4, and there are of course vast numbers of games, particularly strategy ones, which are PC exclusive, better on PC or come out on PC months or years before the PS4 version.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47623414

I think Googles Stadia platform might have made my question irrelevant!

It really depends on a lot of things. You should see if you can get into the Geforce Now Beta and try it out. It's the same concept, but one thing it has that we don't know that Stadia has is that you can playfrom hundreds of games for free provided that you have in your library from Steam and other popular stores (not _all_ games on Steam are supported -- but a lot of the popular ones are).

Then there's the question of whether Google gets developers to buy into it, whether the big storefronts like Steam play along with allowing their APIs to be used to verify ownership of games, etc. 

And finally there's price. There are services that are charging $25-$35 a month, and rumors had it that Nvidia was thinking more like $25 for 20 hours of gameplay. For some people, that may make a lot of sense -- in a year you've spent half of an Xbox One, while having more graphical power, and you can play games you already own or can purchase new games (I know Geforce Now has launched with some free games as well, and I expect Stadia to do so also). But for people who wind down by gaming two-three hours every day, it starts to feel trickier. Nvidia's rumored pricing means if you game 3 hours a day, you might hit $100+ a month, assuming there's no reduction for buying bulk time...

Google will certainly subsidize their platform for awhile, I expect, so they may well come out cheapest. 

Archived