Biggest surprises from Fire and Blood

James Steller

1. Sunchaser being found in Asshai like wow did she really sail west and end up east mind = Blown

2. Aeara not only her fate for being a stupid teen but something managed to wound Balerion (a massive beast that can swallow a mammoth like what was that creature)

3. Dragons not wanting to go past the wall

4. Sheepstealer and nettles going under ground after being discovered does this mean a dragon is hibernating in the vale for years in the mountains?

5. Aegon actually taking a progress to the Iron Islands (really surprised me how much more awesome the guy really is)

6, Jaehearys training (never included this guy in my top warrior list but after his training and great improvement i kinda have to)

7. How little was written of Baelon and Aemon (what an intriguing brotherly bond)

Another thing that really surprised me was role of Manderlys as bannermen of Targs. Or Targs seemed to keep them busy. For instance how busy they and their troops were during the dance. They seemed to be more active than Graftons or Tyrells and even Tullys needed personal visit by dragon. In fact Tyrells seemed to have very low profile during early Targs.

10 minutes ago, Loose Bolt said:

In fact Tyrells seemed to have very low profile during early Targs.

I mean considering how they came to power it makes sense they would stay as far away from Kings Landing as possible and do all they can to create some legitimacy in the Reach. There had to be a lot of resentment that a family of stewards were now lord paramount because the Gardeners got cooked during the Field of Fire.  I have to assume the Tyrells spend a generation or two consolidating power at home. 

7 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Could you eleborate? I don't get the reference. 

Oscar continues the trend of the Sesame Street characters -- Kermit, Elmo, and Grover are also represented. It's the TWoIaF/FaB version of his having characters based on the Three Stooges in AGoT.

44 minutes ago, Ran said:

Oscar continues the trend of the Sesame Street characters -- Kermit, Elmo, and Grover are also represented. It's the TWoIaF/FaB version of his having characters based on the Three Stooges in AGoT.

I'm waiting for Edmure's child to be born a boy and be named Gonzo.

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Ah, okay. Is Riverrun specifically associated with Sesame Street?

I think GRRM just put it in as a joke. After awhile of coming up with unique names for everyone, he probably wanted to let off some steam.

Maybe he was playing around with a variation on ‘edmure’ in his head, and came up with ‘elmo’ and then things just ran from there. In fact, if you do an elmo impression and say ‘edmure’ it doesn’t sound too far off.

EDIT: Unrelated, but I'm inclined to think that there's more going on with Firewyrms than just a great way to squick the readers.  Reading of Laena Valeryon hatching an albino wyrm makes me wonder if the Valyrians had a use for the wyrms, and if they weren't just a dangerous pest that was a threat to even dragons?  The image that came to mind to me was the Horta, from the Star Trek original series, where the miners at first were fighting a silicon-based alien, only to find out that the alien was actually very useful to help them dig new tunnels. Could the Valyrians have had a similar relationship with the wyrms?  Not necessarily domesticating them, but letting them do their thing, and eat the occasional slave or thousand in a symbiotic relationship?

Targaryens especially in their first century of rule tried to build a good relationship with the Faith and the Night's Watch. I expected many of their kin to join these factions as a way of divorcing unwanted wives, removing plotting siblings/children from the line of succesion, getting rid of former rulers/their widows as happened in Byzantine empire and generally medieval ages. 

12 minutes ago, Loose Bolt said:

Another WtH moment was Maiden Day Cattle Show and lady Turnips. Also that there seemed to be female Bolton included in that show.

And a pretty nice and smart Bolton at that ;-).

Archived