Killing Eve (BBC America/BBC One)

AncalagonTheBlack

On 4/22/2019 at 1:48 PM, Astromech said:

That second episode was dark as hell, without much comedy thrown in. Villanelle's facial expression when he called her "angel" was priceless though.

The third episode was a little bit back to form. Villanelle's jealousy over the new assassin and Eve's supposed focus on her :) I'm happy to see Villanelle and Konstantin back together again. "HELP" :) 

I actually loved the second episode, anything with Julian Barratt in it is a winner for me. Sure it had a few worn out tropes in it with a psycho who collects dolls and a mother in the upstairs room, but it was played out in quite a fun way. 

So far I'm enjoying the second season, I feared it wouldn't be able to recreate the magic of s1, and I'm not sure it has, but its still great. There is something a little bit too cartoonish about this season that I can't put my finger on. I'm not sure its quite getting the balance between grim procedural and comic book craziness. 

Spoiler

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

'Missionary' was 3 hours worth of entertainment crammed into 1 hour, like hamsters.

In a surprise twist, Villainelle is developing a taste for not killing people.  (Look out!)    But can the rest of the cast say the same?

And what kind of health club has that high of a ceiling for fencing class?    And this rich guy character is really taking advantage of all the zuckerberg paranoia and dislike.  He may be V's opposite number, if he's been doing all the sly murdering himself.  Like, he'd be her natural peer--who's also lonely--meanwhile she's trying to veer away from people like him toward more normal friends.  Quaint.  Compelling.

I liked the parallel between

Villanelle pushing that woman in front of the bus and Eve almost doing the same to the man on the subway.

I don't think this season has been as tight as s1 when it comes to plot, but the character building is just so on point. At this point the story is just there to bring out specific character moments IMO, and I'm enjoying them all

1 hour ago, Underfoot said:

I liked the parallel between

Reveal hidden contents

Villanelle pushing that woman in front of the bus and Eve almost doing the same to the man on the subway.

I don't think this season has been as tight as s1 when it comes to plot, but the character building is just so on point. At this point the story is just there to bring out specific character moments IMO, and I'm enjoying them all

I don't think the S1's plot was very tight either really, but the show seems to excel in its great characters, its fun language and its quirky style. I could watch it endlessly even if very little is happening. Its just so great being able to spend time with the people in the show. 

I am enjoying Villanelles non lethal escapades, and that there seemed to be some sort of insight into the workings of her mind based off of what she said in the AA group. Possibly the way it was written and the parallels to Eve are a bit too on the nose but I still enjoyed them.

Eve is going off the deep end. The parallel @Underfoot mentioned above was spot on and Eve, despite her initial shock, seemed to enjoy Villanelle's action. Well, maybe not enjoy, but was morbidly curious and appreciative of it.

I can't wait to see what happens with Peel. I'm hoping she has something special in store for him.

Gemma.     Of the doomed cleavage.   

When Jamie Comer killed in front of Eve, what was the show's goal when they stopped time and gave her vampire makeup?  

They tried a new kind of imagery for that moment when Eve saw the murder happen.  I think they tried to show the soulless quality of the murderer, making her ghastly like Death itself.  But also there was something shiny about it.  Because it's the "interesting" thing Eve keeps chasing, and is now considering doing.  Vill was like, "here it is.  The truth about me and the thing you're so fascinated with.  Do you still want to cross the line and become like me all the way?"   Like a test.  And because Villy knows Eve is pretty deep into the weeds, she knew Eve would pass the test by not running away from their "friendship."   A mental cult, like the hold a vampire has over a thrall.  

13 hours ago, the hound of sansa said:

Something that perhaps I missed: why don't they arrest Villanelle? She IS a known assassin.

I think they see her as more useful as an asset. I may well have missed something as the events of last season are a bit of a blur. 

37 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

The show took home 3 awards at the BAFTA's on Sunday,including the big one - Best Drama.

Jodie Comer - Best actress
Fiona Shaw - Best supporting actress
Best Drama

So glad Comer got it, she's brilliant in the role. Although hard to choose between her and Sandra Oh. 
Its a much better show than the Bodyguard, which is maybe the most overrated thing I've seen all year.

15 hours ago, the hound of sansa said:

Something that perhaps I missed: why don't they arrest Villanelle? She IS a known assassin.

They're MI6 not law enforcement. Last season she was working for a foreign intelligence agency pursuing an agenda that may have been harmful to the UK and therefore taking her out was a priority. At this point she's openly a freelancer that they're able to hire themselves, that's a useful tool to have on the table when its not working against them. The ghost took over the role of Villanelle from S1 and thus she was their priority and they're continuing to follow that lead.

Genuinely can't believe the show went there...

Killing Eve phone sex? Do the writers of this show read a lot of fanfic?? They managed to make straight sex gay! 

As a lesbian this show is completely up my alley but I do wonder what others think about this facet of it. I saw one tweet recently indicating that the person didn't think there was any attraction between Eve and Villanelle and I just can't wrap my head around that. 

Anyways, wondering where we go from here... Who do you think is going to try to buy Aaron's super spy weapon? What was Kenny trying to warn Eve about? What are Konstantin and Carolyn really up to? And who or what are the Twelve anyway? 

This is a Bonnie and Clyde  Bonnie.   It's always been about their 2 identities merging, intertwining, exchanging underwear and intimacies.   So it felt more organic and less like a stunt (such as when a space sci-fi show shoehorns in a gay crayfish alien  lawyer).   This way Eve had a chance to start things off at a safe distance, too, which for me is more believable considering her character and their trust issues post-stabbing.   

Carolyn may not really and truly care whether Eve lives or dies, for her it's more about having a hand in everything and getting results while limiting personal embarrassment.   Kenny sees all these spy people get weird over time. He thought he and Eve were the normals, now sees Eve getting too caught up in it, unsafe.  Also if Konstantin & mom have a new swerve planned Kenny may know something specific about what's next for Eve & V.

I'm having trouble with Villainelle's motive for...what happened in the storage facility.  What was she saying there with that?  I get the part about "Eve would never forgive me."   And in some ways Villie did Eve's will in that room.  But the result?   It seems Eve is now further away from being "available" for Villainelle.  Eh.  Something to chew on.

One of the dynamics of this show is that we all get to live vicariously through Villanelle,,,. which is what I think Eve is doing too.... we *all* want her to kill Peel... (christ he's such s douchebag)... which we --and Eve-- can't do, but Villanelle can.... I for one was smiling when 

Spoiler

we saw Gemma with that plastic bag over her head... how dare she try to move in on our gal Eve's man.....lol

I think it's interesting that Villanelle isn't repeating her cycle with Anna. With Anna, she killed the husband. With Eve, she restrained herself and didn't. Wonder where the cycle goes now

I'm betting Eve kills someone in the finale and that closes the gap between Eve and Villanelle. I hope they ride off into the sunset together as murder girlfriends :wub:

Hahah, poor Hugo. You're just a prop, shut up! 

I'm actually enjoying Villanelle's interactions with Peel. Both are psychopaths, Peel possibly more so than Villanelle. Villanelle may possibly be the first interesting person Peel has ever met. At least the first person he's found interesting. But, wow, is he creepy. 

Not surprised with Villanelle's encounter with Niko and Gemma. I don't think she'll kill him, but really enjoys tormenting him.

I've always thought Carolyn was a double agent, not Konstantin.

Archived