Killing Eve (BBC America/BBC One)

AncalagonTheBlack

It's about time!     

Spoiler

Blanks?     Was Villie supposed to shoot blanks into the axe guy and get cloven?   A neatly tied off op by Carolyn and Konstantin.

Who sent the kill crew against MI6?    The 12?   Richy Rich acted like he was unaware of it.    Poor sex obsessed brit guy with the hair!    Oh well, i think he's also on Discovery of Witches unless it's a case of all white guys look alike.

It definitely wasn't a blank. You can see in the shot of Eve lying on the ground that she's definitely bleeding. Villanelle shot her right where Eve stabbed her in 1x08. 

Interesting to see where they go in season 3 (and I wonder if it will be another 30 second jump?) Eve has burned all her bridges and doesn't really have anyone left. Villanelle I assume will go after her family and maybe we'll see a little more of her past. I think Villanelle will get a little more humanity and Eve will get a little darker.

I have to say I think this season was a bit of a disappointment. I couldn't believe it when I saw that this was the season finale already. It didn't feel like the season had really managed to set anything up or really go anywhere and yet it was just about to end. 

As in last season all the performances were amazing and I would pay to watch Jodie Comer opening envelopes. 

But something was missing in this season, maybe the writing has lost something now Miss Fleabag has left, but I felt like there wasn't that bouncy dark charm from the first season. Everything felt a little bit more on the nose.

The central 'romance' was also just not well developed between the characters, it sort of set things up from Eve's side but I don't think the show ever really got to the heart of what was going on in her head. I don't know, it just didn't seem all that believable and so I didn't buy into it. 

The final plotline involving Aaron Peel just sort of came and went inconsequentially, it was all too quick and didn't seem to matter very much. 

I was a big defender of S1's plot, because I didn't think it was all that important when there were so many other great elements propping the show up, but this season I don't think the performances managed to cover the weaknesses. 

I'm not quite sure why you'd think the bit with Peel came and went too quickly when in hindsight at least half the season has been about Carolyn manipulating Eve to get to this outcome. Back when she had the meeting with her superior melting down and she reassures her that "everything is going according to plan" this is the plan that she's referring to. When her pregnant colleague asks her about time sheets and Eve says she doesn't have to do any she gets warned that she's being kept off the books for a reason. After she fires Kenny he gets put on the clean up crew and he knows what's going to come but we don't, so when Kenny tries to warn her not to go to Rome we're left thinking its something like this

On 5/21/2019 at 4:00 AM, The Mother of The Others said:

Kenny sees all these spy people get weird over time. He thought he and Eve were the normals, now sees Eve getting too caught up in it, unsafe.  Also if Konstantin & mom have a new swerve planned Kenny may know something specific about what's next for Eve & V.

When it is indeed something very specific - he knows its a set up. If the complaint is that the climax came and went too fast its because its a false climax - Peel was a misdirect, a side conflict. The main conflicts are the romantic one between Eve and Villanelle and the one of manipulation between Eve and Carolyn.

ETA: Also the one between MI6 and The 12 which played out in this season by pinning the assassination of Peel on The 12. Also maybe in Villanelle killing one of them? In that fight he intimated that he's very senior within the organisation but its not clear whether he's actually one of The 12 or just higher than Konstantin had been.

My issue with the Peel storyline stems from the general sense that the season was too short and didn't really manage to hit full steam and IMO never really got going. I think Peel was introduced roughly half way through and using Villanelle to get him was an element used towards the end of the season. 

I don't think anything in the season was really fleshed out enough in fact. There were so many threads just sort of left hanging around by the end that its hard for me to really think of anything that really happened. 

The season just felt a bit unbalanced. It started out quite strongly with Villanelle trying to recover, and then there was a sort of soggy middle section where it was all building up the relationship between her and Eve (something I don't think they have yet to really do, outside of Eve's obsessive nature and curiousity it didn't quite work, especially give her reaction in the last scene) and then the end just sort of petered out with the pretty sudden murder of Peel and the escape. 

I don't know, I found it quite unsatisfying and was more frustrated and bored by it as the season went on. 

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Season 3 teaser and transmission date

Deadline says: “The third season continues the story of two women with brutal pasts, addicted to each other but now trying desperately to live their lives without their drug of choice. For Villanelle (Jodie Comer), the assassin without a job, Eve (Sandra Oh) is dead. For Eve, the ex-MI6 operative hiding in plain sight, Villanelle will never find her. All seems fine until a shocking and personal death sets them on a collision course yet again. The journey back to each other will cost both of them friends, family, and allegiances…and perhaps a share of their souls.”

It also reports that Suzanne Heathcote is this series’ lead writer and the cast includes Harriet Walter, Danny Sapani, Gemma Whelan, Camille Cottin, Steve Pemberton, Raj Bajaj, Turlough Convery, Pedja Bjelac and Evgenia Dodina.

The channel also revealed that the series is set to drop on 26th April.

• 1 month later...

Those are well made trailers buuuuut...

This show doesn’t really feel like it’s going anywhere though, season 2 was running out of steam and I’m not seeing anything to get me excited by a new season. 

These trailers felt a bit like when they make the audience cheer when someone enters a room in a bad sitcom - ‘you like this character!!! Clap monkey clap!!’

I guess I’ll watch the first couple of episodes but a show I once adored now barely raises a glimmer of interest

I agree that S2 looked like the show had run out of steam; but... what else you got to do right now?

I'll watch S3, and if it fails I probably won't bother with any potential S4. I feel similarly about Altered Carbon (not that it had run out of steam, but the seemingly complete disconnect from S1) and Westworld. I'd feel the same about Jack Ryan too if it was out now (I've got nothing better to do with my time) but if it comes out after lockdown has ended, I'm highly unlikely to even glance in its direction.

37 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

I agree that S2 looked like the show had run out of steam; but... what else you got to do right now?

I'll watch S3, and if it fails I probably won't bother with any potential S4. I feel similarly about Altered Carbon (not that it had run out of steam, but the seemingly complete disconnect from S1) and Westworld. I'd feel the same about Jack Ryan too if it was out now (I've got nothing better to do with my time) but if it comes out after lockdown has ended, I'm highly unlikely to even glance in its direction.

I dunno, even with the lockdown I don't think I could ever get through all of the huge wealth of great movies and tv shows available right now. 

I don't really have much enthusiasm for watching the same old cat and mouse game between Eve and Villanelle. The story needs something else to add impetus to the plot outside of their relationship, because I really don't think they have much of one outside of some sparky attraction. 

Watching Ozark S3 has made me think about this, I think that show has managed to build on what happened before and make you want to see what happens next, like there is a trajectory for the plot and characters. Thats something common in all great long running shows.

With Killing Eve I don't see that it's going anywhere. Will the same things keep happening over and over. Eve chases, Villanelle kills someone in a quirky elaborate way, they meet, try and kill each other, say something life changing.. rinse and repeat. 

BBC confirms transmission date for series three : Sunday 19th April (starting on iPlayer Monday 13th April), 9pm, BBC One.

In the US: Sunday, April 12 at 9pm on BBC America and AMC.

New cast additions include Dame Harriet Walter, Danny Sapani, Gemma Whelan, Camille Cottin, Steve Pemberton, Raj Bajaj, Turlough Convery, Pedja Bjelac and Evgenia Dodina. 

4 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

BBC confirms transmission date for series three : Sunday 19th April (starting on iPlayer Monday 13th April), 9pm, BBC One.

In the US: Sunday, April 12 at 9pm on BBC America and AMC.

New cast additions include Dame Harriet Walter, Danny Sapani, Gemma Whelan, Camille Cottin, Steve Pemberton, Raj Bajaj, Turlough Convery, Pedja Bjelac and Evgenia Dodina. 

Sembene! :crying:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52214357

Reviews for S3 seem to be mixed. However considering a couple of them say things like:

" the show doesn't have much left to offer beyond Comer's watchable performance. Once fresh and thrilling, Killing Eve has grown stale and predictable,"

That was pretty much how I felt about Season 2, and the trailer, so I'm highly unmotivated to watch another season if it hasn't learnt any lessons.

First episode was .. fine. I guess good enough to keep me watching the next one, but not enough to make me excited enough about it.

I do feel like the show has lost the spark that made the first season so great, and is trying to squeeze out as much as it can from the concept. 

It does feel like maybe Villanelle is actually not all that interesting a character now, and is almost a caricature of my initial impression of her. 

But most of all, the script and the direction just don’t have that wit or cleverness that PWB brought to the show now, and it all feel a little manufactured

I forgot there was a new writer this season. The s3 premiere seemed a little off to me. Not bad, but lacking a little something. At times it felt the writers were trying to start fresh with new characters etc., but I would actually prefer a little more of the same. I really watch it more for the characters than for any plot. I really hope the writing is up to par this season and the change in writers isn't too obvious.

On 4/15/2020 at 1:55 PM, Heartofice said:

First episode was .. fine. I guess good enough to keep me watching the next one, but not enough to make me excited enough about it.

I do feel like the show has lost the spark that made the first season so great, and is trying to squeeze out as much as it can from the concept. 

It does feel like maybe Villanelle is actually not all that interesting a character now, and is almost a caricature of my initial impression of her. 

But most of all, the script and the direction just don’t have that wit or cleverness that PWB brought to the show now, and it all feel a little manufactured

PWB stopped working on the show, especially in the writing department in season 2. So i can't see how her absence is why something is missing in season 3. Maybe the writers/showrunner have changed again between 2 and 3?

Then again you are saying it's been lacking since season 1 ended so you probably know this already. Thought I'd mention just in case though in case confusion occurs with others downthread

2 hours ago, red snow said:

PWB stopped working on the show, especially in the writing department in season 2. So i can't see how her absence is why something is missing in season 3. Maybe the writers/showrunner have changed again between 2 and 3?

Then again you are saying it's been lacking since season 1 ended so you probably know this already. Thought I'd mention just in case though in case confusion occurs with others downthread

I wasn’t a fan of season 2 at all, and her leaving was seemingly a big loss then as well. Even though that season had a couple of highlights it didn’t capture then magic of the first and seemed to just drag out the plot line.

It seems that as we move further along the show loses a bit more of what I liked about that first season

I'm pretty sure the main writer/showrunner changed again from season 2 to 3.

Interested to see where this season goes, but I don't think there's any way this show can get back to the same heights that s1 had.

Archived