Daenerys Targaryen is most like Prince Daemon Targaryen 

Syri0_F0rel

Daenerys Targaryen is most like Daemon Targaryen 

Daenerys Targaryen wants to be like Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, fears being like the Mad King Aerys II but really is most like Prince Daemon Targaryen.  

They both:

were dragonriders 
were exiled
had small council members propose their execution
lived in Pentos
wore crowns 
ruled lands outside of Westeros 
aspired to be ruler of Westeros
were loved by the lowest social class and hated by nobles
had a stillborn monster baby
had multiple spouses*
had an unwed lover 
had a political spouse they did not care for
successfully led armies in the field and took castles/cities
solidified alliances and earned favors with foreign states
had silver hair and purple eyes
were well traveled outside Westeros
had many unique aliases and titles
acted at times guided by logic and at times guided by stubborn passion 
had their first spouse die after falling from their horse**
were on the losing side of Westerosi civil wars started by their brothers and fought against Baratheons and Lannisters***
married and slept with their niece/nephew (based on two major 'ifs')****

*I think Danaerys will marry Jon Snow making 3 spouses each
**Rhea died from the fall – Khal Drogo’s fall did not cause his death
***Both sides pretty much lost the Dance of the Dragons
****If R+L=J and if Danaerys marries Jon Snow

I see many people making comparisons between Jamie and Daemon as well as Danaerys and Rhaegar but really it's Danaerys and Daemon who have the most striking parallels. 

Daenerys is her own woman.  Daemon is a party kind of guy who placed duty somewhere in the middle of his priorities.  He's the first rock star of Westeros.  The kind of person men loved to go drinking and whoring with.  He's the party animal.  That is not at all like our Daenerys.  If she has similarities, it is a mixture of Aegon the Conqueror and Queen Allysanne.  With a tiny dash of Visenya.  Visenya, to me, is the true bad ass in this group.  Senior citizen age already and she was still riding her dragon and burning away the trash that are the religious nuts.

While there are some similarities on paper, it's kind of hard to compare Daemon to any of the POV characters simply because Daemon has no POV chapter, we'v never been inside his head. Daemon signed off on killing a child though, not something I'd image the current Daenerys ever doing. 

Unlike Daemon and most other Targaryen princes and princesses, Daenerys and Viserys were not raised in consistent luxury and safety. Daenerys had to succeed, she had no other options or wouldn't have survived. When the war in the Step Stones got too tough for Daemon he was able to fly back to Driftmark, Dragonstone or wherever.  Like her or hate her, Daenerys had to start from a lower place than any Targaryen I can think of and has risen to a ruler of a city. Now if Daemon was in Viserys place, in true exile with Daenerys, how would he have fared? Daemon was born with advantages that Daenerys and Viserys would only have dreamt about.

5 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Daenerys is her own woman.  Daemon is a party kind of guy who placed duty somewhere in the middle of his priorities.  He's the first rock star of Westeros.  The kind of person men loved to go drinking and whoring with.  He's the party animal.  That is not at all like our Daenerys.  If she has similarities, it is a mixture of Aegon the Conqueror and Queen Allysanne.  With a tiny dash of Visenya.  Visenya, to me, is the true bad ass in this group.  Senior citizen age already and she was still riding her dragon and burning away the trash that are the religious nuts.

I agree with this. I don't think Daenerys and Daemon's personalities match at all. Daemon was wild and undisciplined for most of his life. Or at least what we know of it, I think Caraxes dying act was to carry the injured Daemon to shore and he then secretly lived out the rest of his life with Nettles.

Daenerys is more like Allysanne but is changing into someone Visenya.

I was fortunate enough to watch a few episodes of a US show called Lucifer.  The devil himself has taken residence in California.  Lucifer Morningstar.  He is what I compare to Daemon.  Irresponsible, rich, good with the ladies, dresses to kill, sleeps with a lot of women.  Life is one party after another.  Tyrion is more like Daemon.  

Oh lawd, The Rogue Prince is my favorite of the historical Targaryens haha

I'd just like to point out that i feel that The Blacks faction won the civil war since it culminated in Aegon III's ascension to the Iron Throne.

And technically you can't say he was on the losing side of the Dance against the Greens either, since The Lads + Cregans Northern Army were imminently coming in to obliterate Kings Landing, which is why Aegon II was assassinated by Larys Clubfoot & his "shadow government" operatives.

All this + the fact that pretty much all the Greens Targaryens were killed off / died and their lineage extinguished. (Jaehaera Targaryen was supposed to marry Rhaenyra's Aegon & thereby reconcile the fragmented Kingdoms & consolidate a peace by binding the royal lines together).

As you'll know, that never came to fruition. Jaehaera died under suspect circumstances in an alleged "suicide"

..While it's still fresh on my mind, could anyone let me know if any "Green" Targs actually survived the Dance & managed to live long enough to procreate? is Aemond's supposed son by Alys Rivers the only possible one?

You are doing Daenerys disfavor by comparing her to lordling fleabottom, if anything he is similar to Oberyn Martell, though far worse person.

I doubt similarities though they exist are parallels or even intentional, and lot of them are very wide.

For example Most kings , queens or consorts wore crowns 

Khal died from infection, falling from the horse was only sign he was unfit to lead Khalasar, Rhea Royce died in "hawking accident" , which was very likely a assassination.

Daemon was the man of his time.  He's a flawed man with a large appetite for living life to the fullest.  Most of the Targaryens are not like that.  They're less colorful because they preoccupied themselves with power.  They were a serious folk.  Daemon didn't really care for power.  He's a fun guy.  Aegon IV liked to have fun too but Daemon didn't legitimize his illegit off springs.

Rogue prince was not a visionary.  He's not trying to change the world to make it better for the poor.  He was just another Targaryen warrior.  Fun guy though.  Daenerys has a very complicated personality.  She is the visionary, the agent of change.  Daemon is thinking of the day.  Daenerys is thinking of the future.  Daemon is a warrior and he's not given to looking at the big picture.  One is a warrior, the other is a leader.  Daemon can lead a squad.  Daenerys can lead an entire nation.  So far as similarities, they are both brave.  Other than that, they are remarkably different.  I doubt those three dragon eggs would have hatched for Daemon.  

On 12/29/2018 at 1:27 AM, lrresistable said:

I wasn't aware it was known that Daemon fathered any bastards. He definitely could have, but do we hear of it in the books?

He fathered one bastard by a prostitute named Mysaria, who later hired Blood and Cheese. The child was an infant when he/she drowned at sea. Mentioned in The Rogue Prince.

Nettles is a possible bastard of Daemon.  Rhaenyra mistook his affections and branded him a traitor.  Daemon doesn't seem like the type of guy to give a long, drawn out explanation for his behavior.  He's a man of action not words.  

On 12/27/2018 at 9:13 AM, Syri0_F0rel said:

Daenerys Targaryen is most like Daemon Targaryen 

Daenerys Targaryen wants to be like Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, fears being like the Mad King Aerys II but really is most like Prince Daemon Targaryen.  

They both:

were dragonriders 
were exiled
had small council members propose their execution
lived in Pentos
wore crowns 
ruled lands outside of Westeros 
aspired to be ruler of Westeros
were loved by the lowest social class and hated by nobles
had a stillborn monster baby
had multiple spouses*
had an unwed lover 
had a political spouse they did not care for
successfully led armies in the field and took castles/cities
solidified alliances and earned favors with foreign states
had silver hair and purple eyes
were well traveled outside Westeros
had many unique aliases and titles
acted at times guided by logic and at times guided by stubborn passion 
had their first spouse die after falling from their horse**
were on the losing side of Westerosi civil wars started by their brothers and fought against Baratheons and Lannisters***
married and slept with their niece/nephew (based on two major 'ifs')****

*I think Danaerys will marry Jon Snow making 3 spouses each
**Rhea died from the fall – Khal Drogo’s fall did not cause his death
***Both sides pretty much lost the Dance of the Dragons
****If R+L=J and if Danaerys marries Jon Snow

I see many people making comparisons between Jamie and Daemon as well as Danaerys and Rhaegar but really it's Danaerys and Daemon who have the most striking parallels. 

They ride dragons.  That's all they have in common.  

You can connect most character and find similarities because people share their humanity.  The big guy said so.  People are alike.  Daenerys and Daemon share their humanity but they have different personalities.   Daenerys is the one unique Targaryen.  The Special One whose arrival they've waited for a long time.  The one who brought back the dragons from extinction.  

On 12/27/2018 at 10:09 AM, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Yes

I don't see any straight parallel for him, he's too big now and his own thing. I think him and Nettles is Arya and Gendry foreshadowing. His battle above the Gods Eye is foreshadowing the climactic battle of the series, he's in Jon's place.

Caraxes will probably prove to be foreshadowing Ghost, meaning Ghost will be influential in a battle at HH but also die or be lost there. I think it will be Ghost fighting Viserion.

I like this line of thinking. To me, the strongest part of the comparison is that the two leaders took (are taking) completely unexpected routes to reach the Iron Throne. I wonder whether Daemon's story can be matched up with the Quaithe prophecy, "To go west, you must go east . . . "

One piece that is (so far) missing from Dany's arc is the death of a Royce. We see major shifts in power when Waymar dies in the prologue, Ser Loras kills Ser Robar, Kyle dies with Brandon Stark at King's Landing. It will be interesting to see whether a Royce turns up in Dany's storyline and, if one does turn up, what happens to that Royce.

13 hours ago, The First Bloodrider said:

They ride dragons.  That's all they have in common.  

You can connect most character and find similarities because people share their humanity.  The big guy said so.  People are alike.  Daenerys and Daemon share their humanity but they have different personalities.   Daenerys is the one unique Targaryen.  The Special One whose arrival they've waited for a long time.  The one who brought back the dragons from extinction.  

The Azor Ahai.  She is that.  

Archived