Daenerys Targaryen is most like Prince Daemon Targaryen 

Syri0_F0rel

On 1/12/2019 at 4:10 PM, Syri0_F0rel said:

Daemon and Daenerys are very different.  Anyone who says so is correct.  A list of their differences is easily larger than a list of their similarities.  I am not presenting some grand conspiracy or epic intentional GRRM story arc.  This is just ASOIAF discussion. 

The Daemon and Daenerys comparison comes from two thoughts:

1) I was thinking about how Daenerys often reflects on her decision making to that of her father and brother.  She uses their legacies to frame her personal philosophy as a ruler and Targaryen and desires to emulate Rhaegar. 

2) For the sake of discussion and entertainment people ask who in ASOIAF is most like Daemon or which of Daenery's ancestors is she most like?  Often the responses fall along gender lines.  When I began comparing Daemon and Daenerys the list grew substantial enough to share. At first glance they seem very different, however, these two larger than life Targaryens share many similar and unique life experiences of exile, multiple marriages, and monstrous babies.  

I'd agree there are many parallels between them, but the Rouge Prince is in descending (Red Keep princeling->lord Fleabottom) while Dany is ascending (beggar->Queen).

Personality wise I'd say Tyrion fits better with Daemon, as they like to slum it and are hedonistic.

Dany (so far) seems more like good king Jaehaerys, ambitious, good hearted rulers trying to do good. 

On 12/27/2018 at 9:13 AM, Syri0_F0rel said:

Daenerys Targaryen is most like Daemon Targaryen 

Daenerys Targaryen wants to be like Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, fears being like the Mad King Aerys II but really is most like Prince Daemon Targaryen.  

They both:

were dragonriders 
were exiled
had small council members propose their execution
lived in Pentos
wore crowns 
ruled lands outside of Westeros 
aspired to be ruler of Westeros
were loved by the lowest social class and hated by nobles
had a stillborn monster baby
had multiple spouses*
had an unwed lover 
had a political spouse they did not care for
successfully led armies in the field and took castles/cities
solidified alliances and earned favors with foreign states
had silver hair and purple eyes
were well traveled outside Westeros
had many unique aliases and titles
acted at times guided by logic and at times guided by stubborn passion 
had their first spouse die after falling from their horse**
were on the losing side of Westerosi civil wars started by their brothers and fought against Baratheons and Lannisters***
married and slept with their niece/nephew (based on two major 'ifs')****

*I think Danaerys will marry Jon Snow making 3 spouses each
**Rhea died from the fall – Khal Drogo’s fall did not cause his death
***Both sides pretty much lost the Dance of the Dragons
****If R+L=J and if Danaerys marries Jon Snow

I see many people making comparisons between Jamie and Daemon as well as Danaerys and Rhaegar but really it's Danaerys and Daemon who have the most striking parallels. 

Daemon is no more than a dragon riding Targaryen.  She's much more than a Targaryen.  Dany is the Maiden Made of Light.  It's her destiny to build a new dawn empire at the end of the Long Night.  

I love this parallel, personally. Dany was given a male heroes storyline and a rouge's greyness. I prefer the takes that realistically focus on her good and bad qualities instead of treating her as a GOD (Which she is not). I think she even has parallels to Daemon Blackfyre, as an exile who will likely be trying to revive her pure blood Targaryen line, but will fail. She could have parallels to Rhaegar, the prince who becomes obsessed with a Stark to the point of madness and destroys her empire in the process. Good stuff.

On 2/2/2019 at 4:44 PM, Sigella said:

I'd agree there are many parallels between them, but the Rouge Prince is in descending (Red Keep princeling->lord Fleabottom) while Dany is ascending (beggar->Queen).

Personality wise I'd say Tyrion fits better with Daemon, as they like to slum it and are hedonistic.

Dany (so far) seems more like good king Jaehaerys, ambitious, good hearted rulers trying to do good. 

:agree:

Archived