Jon Snow's Real Name

Lucia Targaryen

4 minutes ago, Aetta said:

Provided Lyanna had a baby which lived, provided that baby was male, provided it was Rhaegar's, blah blah blah all of the other disclaimers.....

Why do we think Lyanna named him, and a Targ name at that?  He was presumeably just born, kid was no where near a name day, and his mother was busy croaking. 

His real name is Jon Snow.

"John Doe" (for males) and "Jane Doe" (for females) are multiple-use names that are used when the true name of a person is unknown or is being intentionally concealed.

Unknown, you say? Intentionally concealed? Hmm. I mean, maybe it's just a coincidence. And maybe when Pyp says to Sam that you don't want to know what [Jon's] mother calls him, that's a coincidence too. Or, maybe they're clues that this fictional character has a secret name to go along with his secret identity.

The argument that Lyanna was too busy sick or dying to name the baby is at odds with, well, common sense, for starters. I mean, I guess it's technically possible. But, if I may be so bold, it seems like a bit of a stretch.

She wasn't suddenly ~9 months pregnant. She'd probably been planning on giving the baby a Targaryen name for, oh, the last seven months or so. Visenya is my guess if I had to bet. Giving the baby a Targaryen name is a non-issue in any case because even with something like, say, Brandon Targaryen it's the Targaryen part that counts. But we can be reasonably certain she didn't give the baby a northern name, or any other generic name for that matter. If she had, Ned wouldn't have called the baby Jon. He didn't change the name for aesthetic purposes.

"Call him Matt, Ned."

"Don't really like that name, to tell the truth. How about Jon?"

"That's not what I want my son called. It's my dying wish. Swear you'll call him Matt. Promise me, Ned."

Now let's really address the promise. We know Lyanna must have, at a minimum, stated her request. There may be more to it, but most of us agree that she wanted Ned to protect her son, so let's go with that. Which means she would've had to say something like, "You have to protect him. Promise me, Ned." But that doesn't explain to Ned why. The most efficient way to do that is with one additional five-word sentence. "His name is Aegon Targaryen." It explains so much while saying so little.

1 hour ago, Aetta said:

Why do we think Lyanna named him, and a Targ name at that?  He was presumeably just born, kid was no where near a name day, and his mother was busy croaking. 

1. If Lyanna indeed died of puerperal fever, Jon would have been at least a couple days old.

2. She had enough time and strength to say where she wanted to be buried, but didn't have a moment to spare to think about her baby's name? I find that hard to believe.

Because Robert used his Targaryen lineage to claim the throne but didn't change his name to Robert Targaryen I think it's safe to say that Jon won't either. I think he either stays Jon Snow or takes a new house name. I think he definitely takes a new sigil and I doubt it has a dragon on it. I feel like Duncan and Blackfish's sigils could be hinting at what I suspect it will be: a white wolf with red eyes on a black field. I think the author is reconstructing the king trope with him. He will be king in the end but it doesn't mean he has to get there in a tropey way. I do think his efforts to use fire to fight ice will ironically end up destroying what he wants to protect.

LYANNA: I beg you.  Tell no one.  Raise him as your bastard.  Otherwise, he will surely be killed as a Targ.

NED: I understand.

LYANNA: You must hide forever, from all other humans, the fact that he is a Targ.

NED: Right ho.

LYANNA: Keep it a dead secret.  No exceptions.  Ever.  Or else dead baby.

NED: Yep, I get it.

LYANNA: By the way, I named him Aegon because that's a super-Targy name.

NED: Well, it's actually the super-Targy name.

LYANNA: Yeah. Well, that's what Rhaegar wanted his son and heir to be called, you know?

NED: True...

LYANNA: Just trying to honor my dead husband by carrying out his wishes. And, you know, maybe I kinda dig the idea of having my son named after the Conqueror himself. It's all I have right now. Pride and love for my child, the son and heir of my dead husband, the crown prince. I'm dying and if there's even one chance that Rhaegar was right about the prophecy... a son named Aegon, maybe that was a part of it, maybe that was important... one chance among all the stars in all the skies on all the worlds, then I have to take it because it's all I have left. I'm going to die today, but I will be the envy of every woman in Westeros, though they may not know it. Every girl in the Seven Kingdoms dreams of having a son named Aegon Targaryen.

NED: I see. But... But how am I supposed to protect him if his name is Aegon Targaryen?

LYANNA: -angry dying wolf face-

NED: His name is Aegon. There is no way I'll be able to conceal his identity now.

LYANNA: -growls-

NED: I've studied with the maesters since I was a boy. Learned strategy, tactics and diplomacy from the Lord of the Vale himself, Jon Arryn. Yet, in all my studies I never learned how to overcome such an obstacle. You make me promise the impossible Lyanna!

LYANNA: Ned, you ridiculous moron. Just call him something else. Yes, I named him Aegon Targaryen, for all the reasons I said. Just don't f*cking call him that. Call him Hodor even, or Jon maybe.

NED: -crying like a stupid little pup-

LYANNA: It's okay Ned. Don't be sad. As long as you have more sense than Hodor, and don't call him Aegon, it will be fine.

NED: These tears I cry are not for the loss of my sister, but for the loss of one the kingdom's truly brilliant minds, maybe in all of hist...

LYANNA: Shut up and let me die in peace. Promise me? And make sure remember that just because I named him Aegon doesn't mean you have to call him that.

NED: You're sure, Lyanna? Maybe there is something you're missing? I am not sure, myself. I do not have a brilliant mind like yours to see...

LYANNA: Ned! I don't know why you're making a big deal out of this. It's a complete non-issue. You would have to be an absolute fool to believe otherwise.

NED: -nods sagely-

6 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Because Robert used his Targaryen lineage to claim the throne but didn't change his name to Robert Targaryen I think it's safe to say that Jon won't either. I think he either stays Jon Snow or takes a new house name. I think he definitely takes a new sigil and I doubt it has a dragon on it. I feel like Duncan and Blackfish's sigils could be hinting at what I suspect it will be: a white wolf with red eyes on a black field. I think the author is reconstructing the king trope with him. He will be king in the end but it doesn't mean he has to get there in a tropey way. I do think his efforts to use fire to fight ice will ironically end up destroying what he wants to protect.

Even if Jon is the righful king, it's not a given at all that:

1. Jon will claim the throne ; 2. Jon will eventually become the king ; 3. Jon will survive ADoS...

Jon's real name - or the one he adopts eventually, is important IMHO because it could well reflect his fate. For instance, if he does become King, maybe Aegon makes sense... Although one senses that Jon, like Dany, wants to break the wheel somewhat and therefore may move away from this "conservative" name.

Personally, I think that the real trope from which GRRM wants to move away from is... The Targaryen dynasty and the restoration of a line which founds its legitimacy only on blood, i.e. a somewhat divine right. The whole story started with the opposition of the Lannisters and the Starks, and I think this is what we will get at the end: a Lannister and a Stark on the Throne (Sansa and Tyrion), because, even if not heroes (like Dany and Jon), they are the ones who are the best fit to win the game of Thrones and rule soundly afterwards (heroes usually suck at ruling, as the whole WoIaF shows).

ETA: Just found this little gem again (took me a few hours):

A Dance with Dragons - Jon III

"His Grace is not an easy man. Few are, who wear a crown. Many good men have been bad kings, Maester Aemon used to say, and some bad men have been good kings."

"He would know." Aemon Targaryen had seen nine kings upon the Iron Throne.

8 hours ago, J. Stargaryen said:

LYANNA: Keep it a dead secret.  No exceptions.  Ever.  Or else dead baby.

NED: Yep, I get it.

NED: Well, it's actually the super-Targy name.

LYANNA: Yeah. Well, that's what Rhaegar wanted his son and heir to be called, you know?

NED: True...

LYANNA: Just trying to honor my dead husband by carrying out his wishes. And, you know, maybe I kinda dig the idea of having my son named after the Conqueror himself. It's all I have right now. Pride and love for my child, the son and heir of my dead husband, the crown prince. I'm dying and if there's even one chance that Rhaegar was right about the prophecy... a son named Aegon, maybe that was a part of it, maybe that was important... one chance among all the stars in all the skies on all the worlds, then I have to take it because it's all I have left. I'm going to die today, but I will be the envy of every woman in Westeros, though they may not know it. Every girl in the Seven Kingdoms dreams of having a son named Aegon Targaryen. 

Uh huh.  This Lyanna... who seems to have spent her life reading melodramatic romance novels... certainly is talkative for someone near death who can only speak in a faint whisper.

I prefer this variation:

NED: (blinks) (long pause)

LYANNA: Kidding!!  (laughs weakly)

NED: I'm glad to see you still have your sense of humor.

LYANNA: Seriously, now.  Aegon's brains were just smashed out on a wall because he was Rhaegar's son.  Maybe not the best omen for my baby to name him the same thing.

NED: I'm just saying.

6 hours ago, Jô Maltese said:

Personally, I think that the real trope from which GRRM wants to move away from is... The Targaryen dynasty and the restoration of a line which founds its legitimacy only on blood, i.e. a somewhat divine right. The whole story started with the opposition of the Lannisters and the Starks, and I think this is what we will get at the end: a Lannister and a Stark on the Throne (Sansa and Tyrion), because, even if not heroes (like Dany and Jon), they are the ones who are the best fit to win the game of Thrones and rule soundly afterwards (heroes usually suck at ruling, as the whole WoIaF shows).

Totally agree on the story needing to move away from Valyrian blood. I dont really see Tyrion as king though because I do think GRRM is trying to be historically realistic. Jon would be more likely to be claim the throne and be able to hold it than a dwarf. But I'm sure these arguments have been brought up before. I dont think Jon is necessarily "a" hero though because I do think he will become darker and more ruthless from his experiences. Sam already thinks Jon's heart has turned to stone! That's not exactly the foreshadowing for a great hero; its more likely suggesting that he's becoming better at ruling. We'll see.

2 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Totally agree on the story needing to move away from Valyrian blood. I dont really see Tyrion as king though because I do think GRRM is trying to be historically realistic.(1) Jon would be more likely to be claim the throne and be able to hold it than a dwarf. But I'm sure these arguments have been brought up before. I dont think Jon is necessarily "a" hero though because I do think he will become darker and more ruthless from his experiences.(2) Sam already thinks Jon's heart has turned to stone! That's not exactly the foreshadowing for a great hero; its more likely suggesting that he's becoming better at ruling.(3) We'll see.

This is exactly the kind of answer I like : I am going to say I disagree with your conclusions, but you lay out unquestionable facts. So what follows is just a different (subjective) take away of your facts  :cheers:.

(1) Even if I think GRRM used an enormous amount of historical background to build up his story (I call it "Culture"), I am convinced the last thing he wants to do, is to align his closure with some sort of historical predestinate ending.

(2) In a nutshell, this is exactly why I think he will be the ultimate hero: he understood his role as the one (only one? with Dany?) who could save Humanity from the Others / Long Night / Night King. The very facts that he is already dead, has become very dark, disillusioned with the general human weakness (so unlike him in terms of strength, honour, courage, resolve, endurance etc...) will allow him to make the right choices (sacrifice himself or Dany or both?) in order to save the World from the WW, but will also prevent him from being a "regular" King in the end. In a way, I think his fate will be like Frodo's in the Lord of The Rings: Only Frodo could be the ring-bearer, but he could not achieve this without permanently damaging himself, unable to carry on living in a "normal world", so he ended up going to a kind of "world of the dead"...

(3) ... While no-nonsense Sam Gamgee (without whom Frodo could not have succeeded) ended up as the Mayor of the Shire. No, you can not rule with a heart made of stone! Nor can you rule with a heart made of marshmallow ! Balance between harsh sensible decisions and soft sensitive decisions are the key. You need to find the right balance between, primarily, security (up to the survival of the political entity, here the 7K), and the welfare of the people through another tricky balance (using my own country's motto) Freedom (Liberté), Justice (Égalité) and Solidarity (Fraternité).

@Aegon VII, @JNR @kissdbyfire, @Ygrain, @Bastard of Bournemouth, here is a little gem about THE song:

The World of Ice and Fire - Ancient History: The Long Night

As the First Men established their realms following the Pact, little troubled them save their own feuds and wars, or so the histories tell us. It is also from these histories that we learn of the Long Night, when a season of winter came that lasted a generation—a generation in which children were born, grew into adulthood, and in many cases died without ever seeing the spring. Indeed, some of the old wives' tales say that they never even beheld the light of day, so complete was the winter that fell on the world. While this last may well be no more than fancy, the fact that some cataclysm took place many thousands of years ago seems certain. Lomas Longstrider, in his Wonders Made by Man, recounts meeting descendants of the Rhoynar in the ruins of the festival city of Chroyane who have tales of a darkness that made the Rhoyne dwindle and disappear, her waters frozen as far south as the joining of the Selhoru. According to these tales, the return of the sun came only when a hero convinced Mother Rhoyne's many children—lesser gods such as the Crab King and the Old Man of the River—to put aside their bickering and join together to sing a secret song that brought back the day.

@Jô Maltese and @Rose of Red Lake, good points, even if I don’t necessarily agree w/ everything. The one thing I’m 100% down with is moving away from the fucking incest and purity of bloodlines and all that. Given Martin’s opinions on rl stuff, I’m sort of expecting for him to do just that. Of course, it’s also possible that he will go against his own world views and keep this pseudo-Arian super race portrayed as a good thing and right and entitled to “it all”. However, I don’t think that’s the most likely outcome. ;)

3 minutes ago, JNR said:

Uh huh.  This Lyanna... who seems to have spent her life reading melodramatic romance novels... certainly is talkative for someone near death who can only speak in a faint whisper.

Oh, I thought we were just having a little fun expressing our arguments. Perhaps you are correct, and she really doesn't have much time to get her point across. In which case, telling Ned the baby's name would be an extremely efficient use of her few remaining words.

37 minutes ago, JNR said:

NED: (blinks) (long pause)

LYANNA: Kidding!!  (laughs weakly)

NED: I'm glad to see you still have your sense of humor.

LYANNA: Seriously, now.  Aegon's brains were just smashed out on a wall because he was Rhaegar's son.  Maybe not the best omen for my baby to name him the same thing.

NED: I'm just saying.

In your version of events, do the horoscopes she's reading come with the romance novels, or are they their own thing?

We know for a fact that Lyanna made Ned promise at least two different things (Ned kept the promiseS, plural), out of which one was being buried at Winterfell. Ned's memory of her last moments doesn't include this particular wish, nor the phrasing of what it was that she wanted him to promise that haunted him so much. I believe it is quite a safe bet that those two exchanged more than a couple of words before she died.

I'm of the opinion that Jon will be the Uniter, Protector, and King of the Realm by the end of ADOS.  I'm still of the belief he is Martin's answer to Tolkien's Aragorn.

I'm 50/50 on Jon's Targaryen name being Aemon or Aegon, but it does make sense for Jon's name to be Aegon once he is crowned king.

I have this feeling or a hunch for a while that Martin did change Jon's Targaryen name from Aemon (around AGOT-ASOS time frame) to Aegon (around AFFC/ADWD to current time frame).  I see that he showered Jon with descriptions of showing Jon's prowess and actions of kingship all through the series, hinting that Jon was born royalty and is legitimate.

The hint that sealed it for me was in AFFC, about Rhaegar's rubies.  That they are waiting for the seventh to be found.  Which makes sense after ADWD's epilogue, when we learn about fAegon.  fAegon will be crowned king as Aegon VI.  Thus by ADOS, I believe Jon will be crowned king as Aegon VII.  Martin could've just put the 8th or 9th or 10th ruby to be found, but no, he purposely inputs that they are waiting for the seventh.

That interested Ser Hyle. “Rhaegar’s rubies?” “It may be. Who can say? The battle was long leagues from here, but the river is tireless and patient.  Six have been found. We are all waiting for the seventh. - AFFC Brienne

33 minutes ago, IceFire125 said:

I'm of the opinion that Jon will be the Uniter, Protector, and King of the Realm by the end of ADOS.  I'm still of the belief he is Martin's answer to Tolkien's Aragorn.

I'm 50/50 on Jon's Targaryen name being Aemon or Aegon, but it does make sense for Jon's name to be Aegon once he is crowned king.

I have this feeling or a hunch for a while that Martin did change Jon's Targaryen name from Aemon (around AGOT-ASOS time frame) to Aegon (around AFFC/ADWD to current time frame).  I see that he showered Jon with descriptions of showing Jon's prowess and actions of kingship all through the series, hinting that Jon was born royalty and is legitimate.

The hint that sealed it for me was in AFFC, about Rhaegar's rubies.  That they are waiting for the seventh to be found.  Which makes sense after ADWD's epilogue, when we learn about fAegon.  fAegon will be crowned king as Aegon VI.  Thus by ADOS, I believe Jon will be crowned king as Aegon VII.  Martin could've just put the 8th or 9th or 10th ruby to be found, but no, he purposely inputs that they are waiting for the seventh.

That interested Ser Hyle. “Rhaegar’s rubies?” “It may be. Who can say? The battle was long leagues from here, but the river is tireless and patient.  Six have been found. We are all waiting for the seventh. - AFFC Brienne

There were only seven rubies in total IIRC, representing the 7 kingdoms on his breastplate. 

@EvanSol919

Nice idea with Jon's name being the same as he and Rhaegar's good friend Maester Aemon - it would certainly make sense, seeing as Rhaegar didn't seem to have a firm relationship with any other adult male Targs at the time of Jon's birth; "The Last Dragon" might be more likely to name his son after Aemon -who's tales of correspondence with the Prince seemed to suggest a mentor-like relationship between the two - than he would Aerys, a man who had descended into cruelty towards Rhaegar and his mother.

We must keep in mind Rhaegar's naming patterns for his previous children.  Aegon and Rhaenys are obviously named for the two Conquerors, so a common idea is that the Prince of Dragonstone would have wanted to name his son with Lyanna after the great Queen Visenya, which in turn could suggest that Jon's real name could be Viserys, just like Rhaegar's little brother, but something feels off with that. 

That no Targ King seems to have named their child "Balerion" seems odd. Perhaps it's considered somewhat taboo amongst the family, in a sort of "The Conqueror would consider it a slight" type of way. (sorry, Black Pearl)

Even so, a fun little crackpot idea I had was that Jon's real name could be "Balerion Targaryen".

Jon -while certainly a "White Wolf" - could also be described as a "Black Dragon" due to his Night's Watch command, association with death, apparent bastardy/hidden Targ status and his hair and eye colouration in comparison with traditional Valyrian descendants.

(Keep in mind that this is just a bit of fun, and mainly based off the idea that Jon's real name being "Viserys" doesn't seem right)

Rhaegar seemed to be a student of history, (good chance he found out a lot of salivating secrets in many a "dusty old Valyrian tome"), perhaps he discovered some unsavoury information relating to Visenya, which discouraged him from wanting to name the boy "Viserys"; with two kids already named "Aegon" and "Rhaenys", the name "Balerion" might then have fit well with The Crown Prince's pattern of naming his kids in tribute to the initial Conquerors of Westeros. Many have speculated that Rhaegar was potentially aware of future events via his "staring at the stars"; mayhaps knew all too well of the importance his son with Lyanna would have for the eventual "War For The Dawn", thus, naming the whelp after the greatest of all Targaryen dragons may have been a good choice - the greatest "fire", to one day war with the greatest "ice".

That said, if "The Last Dragon" wanted to go down this route, "Vhagar Targayen" might have been a better choice for Jon's real name. While Visenya's mount was a she-dragon, the great beasts can change sex at will, so the name could be surely be used for a boy. If Rhaegar was somehow discouraged from paying tribute to Visenya, but still wanted her "head of the dragon represented in his childrens names, surely poor old Vhagar wouldn't get lumped in with her riders' sins?

To be honest - as unlikely as it may be - if Dany and Jon ever have a son who Westeros accepts as the rightful heir to the IT, I think "Balerion Targaryen" would be an awesomely suggestive-as-well-as-imposing name. While I'm sure the idea has been bandied about many a time over the years, wouldn't it be something if they had a set of triplets, one boy and two girls to rule the realm together, with the females being named "Vhagar" and "Meraxes".  Dany is the mother of Dragons, after all.

Lastly, anyone else ever wondered if the name "Rhaegar" was historically created in tribute to both Queen Rhaenys, as well as her sister Visenya's dragon, Vhagar. (although, the lack of any Targaryens named "Vhaenys" or "Visaxes" could suggest otherwise.

13 hours ago, J. Stargaryen said:

Perhaps you are correct, and she really doesn't have much time to get her point across.

Oh, I think she had a certain amount of time; the alternative is that Ned showed up just as she was dying, which is the sort of thing only a Hollywood producer, unfamiliar with the canon, might think was a good idea.  I just don't think she made any lengthy speeches.

13 hours ago, J. Stargaryen said:

In your version of events, do the horoscopes she's reading come with the romance novels, or are they their own thing?

In the sense that she was a bright girl, and could look into the future and make reasoned decisions based on the available information, I suppose one could say she could read the horoscopes. 

For instance, if Rhaegar had a particularly striking and recognizable face, she might extrapolate Rhaegar's son would, as he aged, eventually resemble Rhaegar enough to be recognizable as Rhaegar's.  So Lyanna would consider that a gigantic problem for Ned and her baby, should Ned at that point have spent a decade and more raising that baby as his bastard.

Hopefully we'll be learning a bit more on this subject in TWOW.  Seems a shame the astrologers have nothing to say on when it'll be published. 

1 hour ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

That does really roll off the tongue.  

I don't know, man. I know it might seem a bit clunky, what with the eight syllables, but it's not too far off the Conqueror's father's name, "Aerion Targaryen" - also, it kind of rhymes. 

One could also argue that "Jon Snow" rolls off the tongue too much :P

Again, the idea is that name "Balerion Targaryen" (or "Vhagar/Meraxes") would be considered more for it's symbolic importance than it would for "how smoothly the smallfolk/lords pronounce it".

7 hours ago, JNR said:

Oh, I think she had a certain amount of time; the alternative is that Ned showed up just as she was dying, which is the sort of thing only a Hollywood producer, unfamiliar with the canon, might think was a good idea.  I just don't think she made any lengthy speeches. 

I think this well-worn trope makes sense on screen for a few different reasons; however, we know GRRM wrote ASoIaF with the goal in mind of not being constrained by the rules of that form. Plus, GRRM gave us a template for exactly this type of scene when Robert was on his deathbed. GRRM even made sure to remind the readers of Lyanna's dying wishes.

Neither do I. I think a few short words would have told Ned quite a lot. Or, maybe we're both wrong.

"Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this son of fire."

8 hours ago, JNR said:

For instance, if Rhaegar had a particularly striking and recognizable face, she might extrapolate Rhaegar's son would, as he aged, eventually resemble Rhaegar enough to be recognizable as Rhaegar's.  So Lyanna would consider that a gigantic problem for Ned and her baby, should Ned at that point have spent a decade and more raising that baby as his bastard.

To that end, Ned kept him at the back of the hall during the feast at Winterfell, and he refused to take him to King's Landing. You might be onto something if you suspect Jon somewhat resembles Rhaegar. Assuming you're keeping an open mind to the possibility of RLJ.

There is probably more to "Promise me, Ned" than we know. For example, though I consider it unlikely as well as unnecessary for Aegon/Targaryen name, I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea that Lyanna wanted—expected?— Ned to support his nephew's (very strong) claim to the throne.

The Valyrian coloring, too, could have been damning, but for the fact that GRRM provides a plausible enough solution in the form of Ashara Dayne.

Then again, maybe it's all a moot point. We don't know that Lyanna wanted Jon raised as he was. She very well may have wanted Ned to protect him whichever way he thought best, trusting her brother to cross whatever bridges he might encounter.

12 hours ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

That no Targ King seems to have named their child "Balerion" seems odd. Perhaps it's considered somewhat taboo amongst the family, in a sort of "The Conqueror would consider it a slight" type of way. (sorry, Black Pearl)

I think this is actually a cool idea, and am almost a little surprised GRRM didn't use it at some point. Would anyone have batted an eye if Aerys II had named any of his deceased or stillborn infants after the Targaryen dragons, or if Aerion had called his son Balerion instead of Maegor?

That said, GRRM really nailed that seemingly small and otherwise unimportant detail. Naming his son Maegor is peak Aerion Brightflame. It cracks me up.

Archived