Jon Snow's Real Name

Lucia Targaryen

56 minutes ago, Morte said:

:blink:

A - back then - girl of four to six years (she is "almost twenty" in AFFC) playing in the Watergardens? What should she have witnessed there?

She doesn't need to witness anything. If Oberyn and Doran know what happened with that situation with Elia/Rhaegar/Lyanna, then there's a chance that knowledge could have been passed down. Sarella is curious by nature and asks questions. If she was curious about what happened and asked her father, then maybe he told her what he knew. 

Her age is not relevant. I know things that happened in my family 80 years ago because I asked.

32 minutes ago, Alyssa of House Arryn said:

I am not very sure about Lyanna's feelings towards the Targaryens at that point, and her giving her child a Valyrian name, when the Valyrians are gone, when Rhaegar is gone and cannot complain about the name, is not something I imagine her doing. After all, we're given examples of women who ignored their husbands wills. Elenda Baratheon named her son Olyver instead of Aegon when she learned Borros had died in battle, and when Alyn told Baela to name their unborn child Corlys, her reaction was to tell him she was going to name her Laena (like she did).

People can be very different. I definitely wouldn't disrespect the wish of my husband if I really loved him and he died tragically...

Jon's real name...I would imagine it went down like this:

Rhaegar: I am going to battle Lyanna. If I die, name our son Jaehaerys Targaryen and may his reign be long.

Lyanna: What if we have a girl?

Rhaegar: Hmmmm ... name her JaehaeRa Targaryen and may her reign be long, if she gets the crown.

At TOJ:

Lyanna: Ned, this one is our son, Jaehaerys Targaryen.

Ned: HELLLL NO!!! ... Robert won the rebellion. Lets give him another J name to hide his identity. Let's call him Jon for short.

7 hours ago, Morte said:

The problem is: They aren't having a conversation. Lyanna is dying of blood loose, so in a stage near unconsciousness, at the edge of an oxygen-deficit inducted coma and her brain and body therefore in a serious panic, while her mind is more and more wandering. She hears the fighting outside, then it finally stops her brother is standing by her side.

She isn't in a stage in which she even can care to explain that happened, her last and only thought left is the security of her child. I doubt she even had a name for Jon at this moment (remember: they were most likely expecting a girl), and was surely not able to come up with one under this circumstances.

Beside: Why do so many people think they were married? Because the thing-that-should-not-be-named had to destroy Jon's arc of becoming okay with actually being reversed for what he does, not the name he is wearing? Or did GRRM said explicitly that R+L did marry?

The problem with your argument is that we already know she spoke to Ned. And you're going to some lengths to try and justify why she couldn't have said literally a few more words.

You really don't know exactly what stage she's at. Someone can actually be dying over quite a long period of time. Robert had his guts ripped out and didn't die instantly. In fact, he lived long enough to have a lucid conversation with Ned. During which Ned is reminded of his promise to Lyanna. Hmm. 

I've believed they were married for many years, and I first realized that Aegon was a strong candidate for Jon's name back in July of 2014, which makes sense since my argument is based entirely on ASoIaF text.

3 hours ago, Morte said:

Still: They were expecting the "third head", a second sister for Aegon, so _if_ they had a name prepared, it would have been a girl's name, not one for a boy. 

Exactly! This is why Lyanna was able to choose Aegon. If Rhaegar had picked out a male name, it surely would've been something else. Realizing Lyanna named her baby, and understanding what she knew when she did, is absolutely key to understanding how and why Aegon makes sense.

1 hour ago, Jô Maltese said:

One thing that must be said about the Aegon theory is that 

Reveal hidden contents

There is no Young Griff / fAegon in the other series that can't be mentioned, no deep historical Targaryen backstory apart from vague references to Aegon the conqueror and his black dread. More importantly, I don't think Rhaegar's first son is ever referred to, and certainly not named. So Aegon makes sense in these series, much more than Aemon which would confuse the audience.

Also, wrt the rubies, I prefer the theory linking the rubies with dragons and not Aegons.

The 6 found are: Bloodraven, Maester Aemon, Viserys, Daenarys, Aegon and Rhaenys (Rhaegar's children with Ellia) or alternatively to the children: Tyrion (AJT) and fAegon Blackfyre. The 7th dragon yet to be found is Jon of course.

Last, but not least, I don't see a woman in love naming her son the same as her husband's (lover's) son with his former (legitimate) wife! So no, I am not on the Aegon's bandwagon.

I don't know why anybody is talking about the show, since the theory that Jon's real name is Aegon Targaryen is based entirely on the text, which some of us have been pointing out for years. Rhaegar's children were mentioned by Oberyn IIRC, and...

Spoiler

the show has three Maegors and two Orys's. If they need to fudge a sixth Aegon that they didn't bother including then they will. They might even just have Jon called Aegon VII—if that happens—out of deference to his murdered half-brother. 

4 minutes ago, J. Stargaryen said:

(...)

I don't know why anybody is talking about the show, since the theory that Jon's real name is Aegon Targaryen is based entirely on the text, which some of us have been pointing out for years.

(...)

This is true for you and the long-serving sworn swords of this Forum, but clearly the show has a confirmation bias effect on many readers-posters (myself included for other theories).

1 hour ago, Alyssa of House Arryn said:

I don't like the whole debate about Jon's Targ name - it's as if the fandom believes Jon having a Targaryen name (and the surname) will somehow 'validate' him. Like the point of the books isn't that noble birth is not a good measure of a person's abilities and worth. What's the point of characters like Jon, Davos and Dunk, if not to show that low-born people can be as good as the highborn? And why is being a Targaryen so important? Why should Jon relate to a family that did nothing for him? Ned Stark raised him, taught him honor, made him who he was. Ned Stark's children were his siblings, Ned Stark's household was his household. The Targaryens mean nothing to him, and I cannot imagine him changing his name just because he learned that some Targaryen sired him.

Oh, well then isn't it interesting to see you here? :D

But it's both really, isn't it? Because the story does focus on noble families and characters. What if the point with Jon is that he's both, sort of like how he's ice and fire? He's actually a lot like how Varys describes Young Griff/Aegon.

Ask GRRM. Maybe he'll tell you after Winter is Coming vol. II comes out. Oh, wait. That's Fire and Blood vol. II.

Maybe that's meant to be a difficult choice he has to make. He's always wanted to be a Stark, but he can only hold the 7K together as a Targaryen. A bitter choice, I'm sure.

On the practical side, I just don't see how can Jon have a Targaryen name. Rhaegar died long before he was born; he didn't chose a name, children are named the day they are born. Given what we know of Rhaegar, he might not be expecting a boy at all, and thus, if he had any name in mind, that name was probably Visenya. "Oh, Neddie, Ray-Ray told me to name this one Visenya, but, ah, it's a boy, so I guess... Visenys? Pretty close, no?"

This doesn't even make any sense since you answer the question yourself. You just don't like the answer.

Which means that only Lyanna could give Jon a name. Now, Lyanna is a Northernwoman. Wouldn't she be more likely to give Jon a Northern name? If Rhaegar had given her instructions about the boy's name, what forces Lyanna to do as he said, other than love? Their little love affair brought the Seven Kingdoms to war, costed Lyanna a brother and a father, and she cannot know what happened to Ned and Ben (until, that is, Ned showed up, so Lyanna knew he wasn't dead). I am not very sure about Lyanna's feelings towards the Targaryens at that point, and her giving her child a Valyrian name, when the Valyrians are gone, when Rhaegar is gone and cannot complain about the name, is not something I imagine her doing. After all, we're given examples of women who ignored their husbands wills. Elenda Baratheon named her son Olyver instead of Aegon when she learned Borros had died in battle, and when Alyn told Baela to name their unborn child Corlys, her reaction was to tell him she was going to name her Laena (like she did).

In theory, maybe. But we know that doesn't work since Ned wouldn't have had to change Jon's name then. But also, Why did Cat name her firstborn Robb instead of something like Hoster? She picked a name that she thought would please Ned, in honor his friend Robert.

The rest is just you assuming how Lyanna would've felt. You don't imagine Lyanna giving her Targaryen baby a Targaryen name—So? She married a Targaryen, and had a Targaryen baby, but Targaryen names are where she draws the line—Really?

And Lyanna was dying when Ned found her. What would be her primary concern, making sure Jon is safe from all harm (namely Robert), or Ned knows her special half-Targaryen baby's special Targaryen name? "Ned! Brother! Here's my baby, his name is Jaehaerys Laraenys Mantapalys Targaryen! Don't forget that! Never forget that!" "What am I supposed to-" "DO NOT FORGET THE NAME!" If Lyanna wants to keep Jon safe... giving him a very obvious Targaryen name is the worst way of doing so. Like, how is Robert and the other rebels going to miss that?

And Robert was dying when Ned found him, yet they managed to have a whole conversation. In fact, this conversation actually reminded Ned of his conversation with a dying Lyanna. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Lyanna would've told Ned her baby's name. As I mentioned up thread if you really believe she had few words to spare, then telling Ned the baby's name probably gives him all the information he needs to understand what happened after she disappeared.

And if Jon does get a Targaryen name, be that Aemon or Jaehaerys or Daeron, he will what, abandon the name he's been known as for 17 or so years and start using his fancy Targaryen one? So he can be part of the beautiful elite, the only house in Westeros that's worthy being part of? That's quite unlikely. In which case, why have a Targaryen name at all if he's not going to use it? 

It's hard to say what Jon will choose to do with his real name. As Jo said, it might well be a matter of choosing. Maybe he'll never be Aegon VII, but I do think that idea will come up, even if he chooses to decline it. 

Lastly, why does he have a Targaryen name? Because he's a hidden prince with a mysterious identity. Of course, he has a "real" name. Do you guys think it really makes more sense that he doesn't? Also, Jon Snow/John Doe. You call a man John Doe when you don't know his real name. Doesn't mean he doesn't have one.

11 minutes ago, Jô Maltese said:

This is true for you and the long-serving sworn swords of this Forum, but clearly the show has a confirmation bias effect on many readers-posters (myself included for other theories).

I have noticed how much more popular this idea has become lately. It used to be that I had to fight these battles mostly all alone, and not make too big a fuss about it.

7 hours ago, Jô Maltese said:

We are the watchers on the walls :-)

11 hours ago, Ygrain said:

I don't lean one way or the other, but his memory of her last moments is so sketchy that I can perfectly see him sitting and holding her hand for hours and giving the promise repeatedly as her feverish mind runs in circles, till, the last time, it finally gets through. 

This may well be, it depends on what caused her death:

Indeed, but if Lyanna really went down with puerperal fever as we suspect, she would have had several days of clear mind to come up with something.

Maybe, maybe not. We just don't know when her labour started, and what caused her death: If it was puerperal fever, she had time, yes. If she came down during the fighting, maybe even caused by this, it's just as possible for her to bleed to death. We simply don't know, and are speculating here.

I'm in the faction who thinks she did not have the time to think about a name for Jon, you are in the other, but we both can not be sure.

First, it will definitely matter to Jon - all his life he has wished not to be a bastard. Being trueborn but at the cost of losing Ned as the father will be an ugly twist for him.

Second, it is not entirely correct to assume that the marriage cannot out in any other way that via Reed. There can be documents written by Rhaegar himself or Arthur Dayne, there can be a septon who officiated the ceremony (if it was in the new rite), there can be other witnesses we yet have to learn about. Someone always tells.

But documents can be false, and as I said: Reed is a hearsay-witness, so GRRM would have to use a deus ex here and pop up a witness we haven't heard about yet.

Just as anything Sarella would have heard would be hearsay, it doesn't matter in a society as such Westeros is,@Alexis-something-Rose :

She doesn't need to witness anything. If Oberyn and Doran know what happened with that situation with Elia/Rhaegar/Lyanna, then there's a chance that knowledge could have been passed down. Sarella is curious by nature and asks questions. If she was curious about what happened and asked her father, then maybe he told her what he knew. 

Her age is not relevant. I know things that happened in my family 80 years ago because I asked. 

But I think the major difference lies in measuring the consequences such a revelation would have:

For me it would utterly destroy Jon's arc, as I think GRRM is deconstructing the "hidden prince"-theme with him*: It's not about who your parents were, it's not about a fancy name, it's about what you do and what you become. The hidden prince is not the salvation everybody is waiting for, nor must he be interested in any throne his parents would have inherited. For me, Jon's arc would end satisfying if he goes down in the history of Westeros as the Lord Commander under whose rule the Night's Watch defeated the Others and ended the Long Night before it even truly began (with a little help from the Children and Greenseers, dragons and many, many common people, hell maybe even Stannis staying alive, staying alive ). And for this his name is quite fitting: Jon Snow, the man who stopped Winter.

So I think we have to agree to disagree here, and wait for the next books to see what GRRM did indeed plan for his characters. :)

*And Dany too, because she is not hidden, she is just the "stupid girl" nobody cares about as an individual, because she should sit still, give the prince her token and marry him and birth him children. GRRM is deconstructing troupes here.

10 hours ago, J. Stargaryen said:

Oh, well then isn't it interesting to see you here? :D

But it's both really, isn't it? Because the story does focus on noble families and characters. What if the point with Jon is that he's both, sort of like how he's ice and fire? He's actually a lot like how Varys describes Young Griff/Aegon.

I gave a reason about what I don't like of this debate - the notion that Targaryens are superior, and Jon should relate to them more than the boring Starks. I didn't say "Hey, I dislike this debate, everyone stop it", did I?

Jon may be fire and ice, but he was only raised as ice, with no hint of fire in his upbringing. Do you know who has a little bit of ice in them too, but was only raised as fire? Daenerys, that's who. It's "A Song of Ice and Fire", not "Jon Snow is The Only One Who Matters".

Ask GRRM. Maybe he'll tell you after Winter is Coming vol. II comes out. Oh, wait. That's Fire and Blood vol. II.

What even is this

Maybe that's meant to be a difficult choice he has to make. He's always wanted to be a Stark, but he can only hold the 7K together as a Targaryen. A bitter choice, I'm sure.

For someone who thinks I assume too many things, you do seem to assume a lot yourself. Namely, that Jon will survive the battle with the Others, that Jon will want to be king at all, that Jon will win whatever conflict arises when another claims the kingship.

This doesn't even make any sense since you answer the question yourself. You just don't like the answer.

I didn't answer it at all. I just pointed out that if Lyanna had been told to name her baby a female name, and had a male baby, in her deathbed she wouldn't be very likely to spend precious time trying to figure out what the male form is. Giving him a male name of her own choosing is the reasonable thing to do. Unless, of course, Lyanna had a Valyrian Baby Names book at hand, and was so desperate to highlight her baby's Targaryen background, as if her own Northern background was of less importance and not worthy enough for her son's name to highlight it.

In theory, maybe. But we know that doesn't work since Ned wouldn't have had to change Jon's name then. But also, Why did Cat name her firstborn Robb instead of something like Hoster? She picked a name that she thought would please Ned, in honor his friend Robert.

Catelyn did not necessarily name Robb after Robert, who was nobody to her. It's not even the same name. It is Robb, not Robert (Jon Arryn did make sure to give his own son the correct name) and Robb is certainly not a North-only name, seeing how there's a Robb Reyne and a Robb Rivers. So, yeah, Catelyn gave her son a name of her own culture. Which only makes me think that Lyanna would do the same.

The rest is just you assuming how Lyanna would've felt. You don't imagine Lyanna giving her Targaryen baby a Targaryen name—So? She married a Targaryen, and had a Targaryen baby, but Targaryen names are where she draws the line—Really?

Yeah, Lyanna did marry a Targaryen (maybe) but that was before a war broke, before Brandon and Rickard were killed by the Targaryens, before Rhaegar joined the war on his father's side, which would mean the death of yet another brother. Loyalties change with time, and I can't see Lyanna being happy with the thought that the love of her life needs to kill her family so they can be together. Sure, she'd want to honour that.

And Robert was dying when Ned found him, yet they managed to have a whole conversation. In fact, this conversation actually reminded Ned of his conversation with a dying Lyanna. I don't think it's a stretch to assume that Lyanna would've told Ned her baby's name. As I mentioned up thread if you really believe she had few words to spare, then telling Ned the baby's name probably gives him all the information he needs to understand what happened after she disappeared.

Only Robert did not have to worry about a baby's life. He didn't fear that Joffrey, or Myrcella, or Tommen, would be at grave danger. And I never doubted that Lyanna could have time to tell Ned anything. What I doubted was that she'd prioritize a special Valyrian name over her son's safety. She herself doesn't know how much time she has left, nor can she expect Ned to successfully hide Jon when he's named Aerond or Jaego or Daerys. If she's clever enough, she'll know Jon needs an ordinary name to survive. In which case he doesn't need a Targaryen name at all, if he's not going to use it. Unless Lyanna expects Ned to fight a bloody war 20 years into the future to put Jon on the throne - in that case, yes, Jon needs a Valyrian name. After what the rebellion did to her family, would Lyanna truly want her son fight a war that could cost his life?

It's hard to say what Jon will choose to do with his real name. As Jo said, it might well be a matter of choosing. Maybe he'll never be Aegon VII, but I do think that idea will come up, even if he chooses to decline it. 

Yeah, he'll need to choose between the name given by the man who raised him, loved him, sacrificed everything for him, made him who he is and the name given by a guy whom he never knew, who indirectly caused a war that killed members of Jon's family, who is partially to blame for that fact that Jon was raised with no mother (and a father). Tough, worthy dilemma.

Lastly, why does he have a Targaryen name? Because he's a hidden prince with a mysterious identity. Of course, he has a "real" name. Do you guys think it really makes more sense that he doesn't? Also, Jon Snow/John Doe. You call a man John Doe when you don't know his real name. Doesn't mean he doesn't have one.

Yep, he could have one. But is Jon's story about some lad who finds he's more special than he thought because he's part of the Great Worthy Team, and thus he needs to remind everyone he is part of the team after all? Should he cast aside Bran and Arya and Sansa and Rickon and Winterfell and everything he got from Ned to embrace the legacy of a family that means nothing to him? What did any Targaryen ever do for him that Jon should honour them?

1 hour ago, Morte said:

(...)

But I think the major difference lies in measuring the consequences such a revelation would have:

For me it would utterly destroy Jon's arc, as I think GRRM is deconstructing the "hidden prince"-theme with him*: It's not about who your parents were, it's not about a fancy name, it's about what you do and what you become. The hidden prince is not the salvation everybody is waiting for, nor must he be interested in any throne his parents would have inherited.

(...)

As I said with different words somewhere above, I quite agree with the idea that GRRM is deconstructing the hidden prince theme with Jon... But in order to achieve this, he still needs to give Jon a clear legitimacy! Only then can Jon's future inner choices - and those of other key characters like Dany, Tyrion and Sansa, give the epilogue a meaningful ending in this regard.

11 minutes ago, Jô Maltese said:

As I said with different words somewhere above, I quite agree with the idea that GRRM is deconstructing the hidden prince theme with Jon... But in order to achieve this, he still needs to give Jon a clear legitimacy! Only then can Jon's future inner choices - and those of other key characters like Dany, Tyrion and Sansa, give the epilogue a meaningful ending in this regard.

Fair enough. Still depends on the level, on which the deconstruction is taking place: Do we deconstruct the "hidden prince" by him not being as a hidden prince should be/not choosing accordantly to the topos, one could say, "from the inside"? Maybe, but I think that's what (f?)Aegon is for.

Jon is IMHO the deconstruction "from outside" the topos: While the "hidden prince", aka (f?)Aegon, will fail and not save anyone but only wreck more havoc, the bastard with no proper name will prevail and save the day.

But as I said: We will have to wait and see, we are all just speculating. :)

1 hour ago, Morte said:

This may well be, it depends on what caused her death:

Maybe, maybe not. We just don't know when her labour started, and what caused her death: If it was puerperal fever, she had time, yes. If she came down during the fighting, maybe even caused by this, it's just as possible for her to bleed to death. We simply don't know, and are speculating here.

You're forgetting a quote right from Ned's PoV: fever had taken her strength. In other words, she had been suffering from some kind of infection, and a profound one, if it had weakened her so much that she was only able to whisper. 

But is Jon's story about some lad who finds he's more special than he thought because he's part of the Great Worthy Team, and thus he needs to remind everyone he is part of the team after all? Should he cast aside Bran and Arya and Sansa and Rickon and Winterfell and everything he got from Ned to embrace the legacy of a family that means nothing to him? What did any Targaryen ever do for him that Jon should honour them?

I don't think you read @J. Stargaryen     very carefully:

Maybe that's meant to be a difficult choice he has to make. He's always wanted to be a Stark, but he can only hold the 7K together as a Targaryen. A bitter choice, I'm sure.

Jon is growing into a man who does what he must to fulfill his duty. His duty is to defend the realms of men, and if it can be achieved by ascending the throne and taking a fancy name, neither of which he really wants, then he will do it. - BTW, neither means that he will actually survive the story. Protecting the realm, dying for it if need be, is the most kingly act a king can do, after all, and Jon will not shun from his duty.

3 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

You're forgetting a quote right from Ned's PoV: fever had taken her strength. In other words, she had been suffering from some kind of infection, and a profound one, if it had weakened her so much that she was only able to whisper. 

I don't think you read @J. Stargaryen     very carefully:

Jon is growing into a man who does what he must to fulfill his duty. His duty is to defend the realms of men, and if it can be achieved by ascending the throne and taking a fancy name, neither of which he really wants, then he will do it. - BTW, neither means that he will actually survive the story. Protecting the realm, dying for it if need be, is the most kingly act a king can do, after all, and Jon will not shun from his duty.

The part you quoted was an answer to another point he/she made. I did answer about Jon making a tough answer between Targaryen and Stark - that we don't even know if he survives at all to be king. And if he does... being King in the North is something I sorta see him doing, because the North is his home, but the rest of Westeros does not mean that much to him. He might feel some sort of duty, but how easy will be for them to accept a Northerner as their liege, especially if Jon is not the only one to stop the Others, but is aided by Daenerys and Tyrion and everyone else? And if being king means he must leave a little bit of his Starkness behind, then I don't find this a satisfying ending.

16 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

So Jon is Aragorn and Arthur? And also JC, right?

Who's JC? And yes, Jon could be GRRM's parallel to those two. Don't know about King Arthur, but Aragorn had dark hair and grey eyes, same as Jon. All three had/will have fire-related swords - Aragorn's Anduril (Flame of the West); Arthur's Excalibur with two chimeras on it, fire coming out of their mouths; Jon's Lightbringer (possibly Dawn of Daynes). Name of all three begins with 'A' (if Jon is Aegon), all three are secret princes, that were raised by their relatives, not knowing who their real parents were, etc.

The part you quoted was an answer to another point he/she made. I did answer about Jon making a tough answer between Targaryen and Stark - that we don't even know if he survives at all to be king.

That's not an answer, that's avoidance. His ultimate survival does not matter for his choice between his two heritages, and we know for fact, because GRRM has said so, that he is going to learn about his true identity. Whether he survives or not, he will have to deal with the fact that Ned Stark was not his father.

And if he does... being King in the North is something I sorta see him doing, because the North is his home, but the rest of Westeros does not mean that much to him.

I think you are conflating what Jon might like and what he might have to do. Those are two different things. Did Jon want to become Lord Commander, did he like being one? Hardly. Yet, he took up the duty best he could. Kingship may well be thrust upon him, and he would feel obligated to accept knowing that a unifying force is required.

As for the rest of Westeros not meaning a thing to him, that is nonsense. His treatment of the Wildlings has proved that he is able to think in much wider terms and that he takes seriously what he has sworn - to protect the realms of men. 

but how easy will be for them to accept a Northerner as their liege,

This is a completely different perspective, a different kettle of fish. It has nothing to do with Jon's perspective of his heritage and/or duty. 

Plus, as Rhaegar's son, he is not exactly a Northerner, he's an heir to the Targaryen dynasty, which quite a few were willing to support to the bitter end not so long ago.

especially if Jon is not the only one to stop the Others, but is aided by Daenerys and Tyrion and everyone else?

Out of the everyone else, Dany is the only other person with reasonable claim to the throne. One or the other may relinquish their claim, or they can marry for the sake of unifying the realm. Unless both of them die, and/or someone else pulls the final world-saving act, then Tyrion or anyone else don't enter the equation at all. 

And if being king means he must leave a little bit of his Starkness behind, then I don't find this a satisfying ending.

Personal bias, then. The ending, per GRRM, will be bittersweet, so people won't get to eat their cake and keep it, too. There will be a price for what will be achieved. A universal victory may come at the cost of a personal loss. 

I will be satisfied whether Jon gets to sit the ugly chair, rules at Winterfell, disappears into the sunset behind the Wall or lies in an unmarked grave, forever labelled as the traitorou bastard. The ending may not be what I'd personally like for Jon (a happy long life with lots of little Snows) but story-wise, I'm sure it will be satisfactory (and most likely, a gut punch).

2 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Who's JC? And yes, Jon could be GRRM's parallel to those two. Don't know about King Arthur, but Aragorn had dark hair and grey eyes, same as Jon. All three had/will have fire-related swords - Aragorn's Anduril (Flame of the West); Arthur's Excalibur with two chimeras on it, fire coming out of their mouths; Jon's Lightbringer (possibly Dawn of Daynes). Name of all three begins with 'A' (if Jon is Aegon), all three are secret princes, that were raised by their relatives, not knowing who their real parents were, etc.

Luke Skywalker doesn't start with an A but he does have a fiery sword... sort of.

1 minute ago, Ygrain said:

Luke Skywalker doesn't start with an A but he does have a fiery sword... sort of.

Did GRRM ever anywhere said, that Star Wars was one of his inspirations for ASOIAF, or is it all (pseudo connections between ASOIAF and SW) are fan-made?

Archived