U.S. Politics: Oh Donnie Boy, the Feds are calling...

A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Reading the last few pages has felt like what I imagine hitting yourself in the face with a frying pan feels like, but at least this was nice to see. I’ve felt for a long time that this is what drives conservative politics here in the U.S. White conservatives are terrified that their sins of the past will come back to haunt them, and it also makes them unable to discuss them honestly. They genuinely feel that they have to keep their boots down on minorities otherwise they’ll rise up and seek retribution. Once you accept this sad reality, you can start to understand the motivations fo their awful behavior.

I disagree with this analysis I don't think conservatives are worried about the things they've done the past coming back to haunt them I think that they are struggling and failing to deal with the massive social changes that have appeared in the last 50 years. Stances that would be the mark of good standing in polite society in the 1980s are now anathema in polite society. That;'s a huge social stress on our social fabric. What it means to be a good person has changed. Part of it I think is a crabs in the bucket mentality I made sacrifices to fit into society and now instead of making sacrifices to fit in people are tearing down those expectations entirely. But also  people who were once society's moral guardians now find themselves on the outside of respectable morality. The centers of culture and business are now unabashedly liberal. The rage of the Republican party has is beacause they know society is slipping away from them, in many ways it already has. Sure they still have enough voters to win, but only just barely and it is less and less every year which is leading them to now abandon democracy in some cases.

Also regarding immigrants overwhelming American culture they king of are if you re-frame it into conservative culture. Immigrants assimilate into liberal culture not conservative. How many immigrants or children of immigrants do you know who drive pickup trucks, go hunting and care about the 2nd amendment very very few. Conservatives are done they are not reproducing at a unsustainable rate and even if they don't know this they can feel it and it causes, well the rage you see.

51 minutes ago, Darzin said:

I disagree with this analysis I don't think conservatives are worried about the things they've done the past coming back to haunt them I think that they are struggling and failing to deal with the massive social changes that have appeared in the last 50 years. Stances that would be the mark of good standing in polite society in the 1980s are now anathema in polite society. That;'s a huge social stress on our social fabric. What it means to be a good person has changed. Part of it I think is a crabs in the bucket mentality I made sacrifices to fit into society and now instead of making sacrifices to fit in people are tearing down those expectations entirely. But also  people who were once society's moral guardians now find themselves on the outside of respectable morality. The centers of culture and business are now unabashedly liberal. The rage of the Republican party has is beacause they know society is slipping away from them, in many ways it already has. Sure they still have enough voters to win, but only just barely and it is less and less every year which is leading them to now abandon democracy in some cases.

Also regarding immigrants overwhelming American culture they king of are if you re-frame it into conservative culture. Immigrants assimilate into liberal culture not conservative. How many immigrants or children of immigrants do you know who drive pickup trucks, go hunting and care about the 2nd amendment very very few. Conservatives are done they are not reproducing at a unsustainable rate and even if they don't know this they can feel it and it causes, well the rage you see.

I would say that what you are describing is the surface level motivations that the average politics-minded fascist can identify and examine about themselves. Your Rick Santorums, Jeff Flakes of the world and the normies who are on their intellectual and emotional level.

What Tywin is describing is the Stephen Miller's and Mitch McConnels. They have enough low cunning to warp their disgusting bigotry into a survival situation where they are the hero of a thousand faces who saves the nobility from the rabble they exploited for all of history. They don't WANT to do it! I mean, poor Stephen Miller wasn't establishing Jim Crow laws in the 20th century. It's not his fault that the nobility was mean! But he can't just let the nobility get crushed, I mean look at what they built all by themselves with no input from the masses!

These are the heroes Republicans want, what they deserve is a mass grave.

Well, this is unfortunate. And potentially working together on tax issues with Trump is not a very convincing excuse not to do it. I'm fine if it happens in February though and I don't care if they are made public. I just want the Democrats to look at them.

Incoming Democratic tax chairman won't make quick grab for Trump's returns

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/02/congress-trump-tax-returns-richard-neal-1056839

Pulling the legal trigger may not come until February at the earliest.

“He wants to lay out a case about why presidents should be disclosing their tax returns before he formally forces him to do it,” said Dan Rubin, a Neal spokesperson.

The Massachusetts Democrat hopes to focus public attention on the issue with the first bill House Democrats plan to take up. It includes provisions that would require Trump and future presidential and vice presidential contenders to release their returns. Trump is the first president in more than 40 years to refuse to release details of his tax filings.

Neal's approach may disappoint some liberals who’ve been salivating at the chance to finally resolve the question of what’s in Trump’s returns, and who’ve been looking to House Democrats for quick action on the issue.

The timing is tricky for Neal, though, because going to war with the administration over the issue threatens their chances of working together on other, substantial tax issues.

“He is a very policy-driven person, and I think he sees that if we break the glass and pull that alarm, you won’t get anything done after that,” said Rubin.

2 hours ago, Darzin said:

Well it's really both if you want to frame it like that. You're talking about the process of change, I'm talking about the motivating fears of its inevitable conclusion. And Trump summed it up best himself. He thinks America was at it's best during the 50's, when being a member of the dominate subgroup gave you a ton of advantages, and while it still does, the degree to which is slipping away. I think it's pretty clear that the group that's been wielding the cudgel for generation worries that it will be turned on them once they no longer get to run the country.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

These are the heroes Republicans want, what they deserve is a mass grave.

Well that got dark. 

When discussions about driverless cars comes up, I always think about how filthy they would be - specifically taxis. If there is no driver on site to make sure messes get cleaned up between passengers, how do you hold anyone responsible or even know there is a problem? People get sick (kids, drunks), drinks and food are spilled, people doing malicious damage, etc. I assume cameras would be installed, but does that mean we have to identify ourselves somehow each time we use one so we can be held responsible or fined or whatever?

13 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

When discussions about driverless cars comes up, I always think about how filthy they would be - specifically taxis. If there is no driver on site to make sure messes get cleaned up between passengers, how do you hold anyone responsible or even know there is a problem? People get sick (kids, drunks), drinks and food are spilled, people doing malicious damage, etc. I assume cameras would be installed, but does that mean we have to identify ourselves somehow each time we use one so we can be held responsible or fined or whatever?

A combination of cameras and user ratings I suspect. And yes, you’ll have to identify yourself. 

Driverless cars will be awesome. They will be super energy efficient due to drafting, and I can sleep on my journey to visit family which will take half the time due to increased speed limits and reduced road traffic. I can also convert my garage, increase the size of my garden and not lose my shit over inconsiderate fucks parking on pavements when I'm pushing the pram around. 

What's going to happen if driverless cars become the mainstream is a bunch of idiots mooning each other and the rest of us constantly. And if you thought the "In My Feelings" Drake challenge was stupid and dangerous, just you wait. 

15 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Well, this is unfortunate. And potentially working together on tax issues with Trump is not a very convincing excuse not to do it. I'm fine if it happens in February though and I don't care if they are made public. I just want the Democrats to look at them.

Incoming Democratic tax chairman won't make quick grab for Trump's returns

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/02/congress-trump-tax-returns-richard-neal-1056839

Actually, I think it is pretty savvy to talk about and it and not do it...yet.  It would completely distract from the hole that Trump is digging himself over the shutdown.  Let that burn up.  And remember, it's not like the Democrats have both houses or a veto proof majority, so it would be mainly theater.

18 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

What's going to happen if driverless cars become the mainstream is a bunch of idiots mooning each other and the rest of us constantly. And if you thought the "In My Feelings" Drake challenge was stupid and dangerous, just you wait. 

Don’t forget about all the awkward sex we’ll be having!

11 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Actually, I think it is pretty savvy to talk about and it and not do it...yet.  It would completely distract from the hole that Trump is digging himself over the shutdown.  Let that burn up.  And remember, it's not like the Democrats have both houses or a veto proof majority, so it would be mainly theater.

If you believe the reporting, February is when Mueller’s report is likely to drop. It could be that they’re waiting for that so as not to tip his hand. It’s the same reason I believe one of those sealed indictments is for DJTJ. The evidence is probably there, but there’s no benefit in executing the order until the full report is in front of the American people, assuming the evidence is damning.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

If you believe the reporting, February is when Mueller’s report is likely to drop. It could be that they’re waiting for that so as not to tip his hand. It’s the same reason I believe one of those sealed indictments is for DJTJ. The evidence is probably there, but there’s no benefit in executing the order until the full report is in front of the American people, assuming the evidence is damning.

Yeah, also agree with that.  Just think right this moment is the wrong moment to do it.

26 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Those cars better be cleaned every hour or so.

Be prepared to ask yourself “Hey, what’s that sticky substance?” and “What’s this white powdery stuff on the dash?” Also, get used to ignoring the smell of stale vomit.

49 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Yeah, also agree with that.  Just think right this moment is the wrong moment to do it.

I can think of a few other scenarios too that would justify waiting. Ultimately it doesn’t matter that much though if his taxes come out in January or March or later. If there’s a there there, he’s probably toast.  

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I can think of a few other scenarios too that would justify waiting. Ultimately it doesn’t matter that much though if his taxes come out in January or March or later. If there’s a there there, he’s probably toast.  

Well his taxes aren't going to just "come out".  The administration has made very clear that they'll fight any attempt to get Trump's returns, so this will be going to court.  The longer that Democrats wait to start that legal battle, the better the chances that we don't see them prior to Nov 2020. 

On the right wing "point of view", conservative experts, and conservatives alleged love of objectivity as opposed to those dirty left wing hippies who are in la-la land.

Read this piece by Moore. It's so dishonest and wrong, its hard to even begin to point out all the horseshit in it.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/30/2018-the-year-of-the-worker/

If 2017 was the year of the investor with stock market gains of more than 25 percent during President Trump’s first year in office, 2018 was undoubtedly the year of the American worker.

These past 12 months have slammed Wall Street hard with half of 2017’s stock blockbuster gains surrendered. But for now prosperity has rotated to Main Street USA, where things have rarely been better than in 2018.

The bears on Wall Street of the last few weeks have dominated the headlines, but those losses have obscured the steady bullish gains for workers. Not in the last 50 years has the jobs market been as strong as it is today.

Why Mitt Romney's opinion piece falls flat because it fails to identify the source of the problem: The Republican Party.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/2/18165198/mitt-romney-op-ed-ronna-mcdaniel-rnc

Incoming Sen. Mitt Romney’s op-ed criticizing President Donald Trump isn’t going over particularly well with his niece — which generally wouldn’t be a big deal, except she happens to be the chair of the Republican National Committee.

Ronna McDaniel, who used to go by Ronna Romney McDaniel, in a tweet on Wednesday responded to Romney’s Tuesday Washington Post op-ed in which he criticized the president for lacking the “character” he deems necessary for occupying the Oval Office.

President Trump responded to Romney’s critiques earlier in the day by comparing him to Trump critic and former Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) and calling on him to be a “team player.” McDaniel echoed the critique, saying that it is “disappointing and unproductive” for an “incoming Republican freshman senator” — as in, her uncle — to attack Trump.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Those cars better be cleaned every hour or so.

And we're back to where I started. :p Call me pessimistic, but I think a driverless taxi is just gonna be disgusting no matter what measures you try to take. Not saying it's not worthwhile, it's just that we tend to be pretty shitty as a rule.

46 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Well his taxes aren't going to just "come out".  The administration has made very clear that they'll fight any attempt to get Trump's returns, so this will be going to court.  The longer that Democrats wait to start that legal battle, the better the chances that we don't see them prior to Nov 2020. 

I’m a bit unclear on how the entire process works, but my understanding is that the committee chair with jurisdiction can get them and then read them on the House floor. But say they fail to do so and this does drag out to and through the election. Is that really all that bad? Sure you’d rather have them, but you could still use the issue against him in the larger corruption argument.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’m a bit unclear on how the entire process works, but my understanding is that the committee chair with jurisdiction can get them and then read them on the House floor. But say they fail to do so and this does drag out to and through the election. Is that really all that bad? Sure you’d rather have them, but you could still use the issue against him in the larger corruption argument.

I believe that the law is pretty clear that the House can request an individual's tax returns.  However, the administration insists that this is unconstitutional, and who knows how long it will take to work it's way through the courts.  Probably a long time.

As for how bad that would be, it really depends on what is in there.  If it's nothing much, then yes, Democrats would benefit more from being able to use the secrecy and possible shady dealings of the tax returns as part of the larger corruption argument.  However, it might be that there really is some bad stuff in those returns, like large debts to international banks or organizations.  And I would much rather know than not know.  For me this isn't really a tactical decision, I want this to be sure that the President isn't vulnerable to blackmail or coercion due to outstanding debts. 

Archived