U.S. Politics: Oh Donnie Boy, the Feds are calling...

A Horse Named Stranger

34 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The thing about that AOC dance video is that, true, it seems to go back to literally one person and basically no-one backed them up... but the republicans have acted so ludicrously towards her that they can hardly now blame people when it's assumed that they did something it'd be totally plausible for them to do. Coz sure it didn't actually happen that 'the GOP' got outraged over a video of her dancing... but we all know that it absolutely could.

The targting of AOC is absurd.  That said shouldn’t we limit criticism of anyone to things they have actually done?

The people most likely to criticize AOC's every alleged mis-step are probably the people that have "Young Guns" on their book shelves, which allegedly was about some fresh young conservative thinkers with fresh and new innovative ideas, when the reality was it was a bunch of middle aged dudes trying to re-furbish ideas from the 1890s and then trying to sell them as being new and fresh.

I know it's unfair to her personally but I find the targeting of AOC amusing in some ways because it seems pretty clear that what the right are really afraid of is that if she's allowed to talk about her ideas, reasonably, loudly, in public, people will realise that they're not nearly as far-fetched as US politics tends to paint leftist ideals to be (I mean, from what I see she's the rare US politician who'd actually be considered 'left' by European standards, but hardly hardcore leftist).

But by reacting so hysterically to her, they've clearly given her far more oxygen than she'd otherwise have had, both in the public discourse and it seems fairly likely she's gotten a certain amount of access to the higher-ups that she just wouldn't have got if the right weren't freaking out.

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I know it's unfair to her personally but I find the targeting of AOC amusing in some ways because it seems pretty clear that what the right are really afraid of is that if she's allowed to talk about her ideas, reasonably, loudly, in public, people will realise that they're not nearly as far-fetched as US politics tends to paint leftist ideals to be (I mean, from what I see she's the rare US politician who'd actually be considered 'left' by European standards, but hardly hardcore leftist).

But by reacting so hysterically to her, they've clearly given her far more oxygen than she'd otherwise have had, both in the public discourse and it seems fairly likely she's gotten a certain amount of access to the higher-ups that she just wouldn't have got if the right weren't freaking out.

Plus, she got rhythm.

Honestly, the whole AOC shit is all on the media. One right wing person posts the video and then it blows up. There really wasn't much more to it  than that. The media needs to stop getting their stories from twitter and just focus on the news like the shutdown and the effects it'll have on the people furloughed and the country. 

15 hours ago, Mexal said:

Honestly, the whole AOC shit is all on the media. One right wing person posts the video and then it blows up. There really wasn't much more to it  than that. The media needs to stop getting their stories from twitter and just focus on the news like the shutdown and the effects it'll have on the people furloughed and the country. 

And actually, I'm going to add to this and say the whole "impeach the MFer" talk that dominates the media these days is yet another example of focusing on the lowest common denominator, the actual thing that has happened that matters not even a little bit and amplifying it to the forefront of the media landscape. 2019-2020 is going to be a complete repeat of 2015-2016 without a single thing done to make the environment better.

Joe Biden is 'close to making a decision' for 2020, so I'm pretty sure he is going to run. Particularly since he seems to need to be convinced there is a better candidate than him (and hasnt seen one yet).

I have some respect for what he has accomplished (and a lot less for his creepy Uncle Joe persona/Anita Hill hearing stuff); but he still represents to me the old/centrist Democratic party to which I will always have a lukewarm response to.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Over the weekend a Vermont newspaper's editorial board begged Bernie not to run.  A Delaware paper should do the same for Biden.

I think Bernie is a lot less likely to run that Biden just because Biden's chances of winning the nomination are so much better.  Biden is well liked by essentially all democrats because of Obama, and this given him an advantage over anyone else in the race.  In contrast, there are a lot of reasons why Bernie is a worse candidate in 2020 than he was in 2016. 

Personally I'd prefer that both of them step aside for the next generation, but what do I know?

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I think Bernie is a lot less likely to run that Biden just because Biden's chances of winning the nomination are so much better.  Biden is well liked by essentially all democrats because of Obama, and this given him an advantage over anyone else in the race.  In contrast, there are a lot of reasons why Bernie is a worse candidate in 2020 than he was in 2016. 

Personally I'd prefer that both of them step aside for the next generation, but what do I know?

Lord, I'd love to see a "young" (meaning 50 ish (lol)) run.  The contrast would be amazing.

7 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Lord, I'd love to see a "young" (meaning 50 ish (lol)) run.  The contrast would be amazing.

You're going to get your wish.  There will be people in their 40s and 50s running for sure (maybe even 30s if some of the longer shot people decide to run).  Democrats will not lack for choices in next year's primary. 

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

You're going to get your wish.  There will be people in their 40s and 50s running for sure (maybe even 30s if some of the longer shot people decide to run).  Democrats will not lack for choices in next year's primary. 

Oh for sure.  I meant get the nomination.  Honestly, I've had enough of boomers in charge.

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Isn't there a minimum age for the office?

Edit for clarification.

I mean don't you have to be in your 40s to eb eligible, so that would rule out the 30s folks.

Biden winning the nomination is no sure thing. His high polling among Democratic primary voters is almost entirely due to name recognition, which the other Democrats have a year to catch up on. And even so, his numbers are nowhere near as overwhelming as Clinton's in early 2015 were. 

I think he's the favorite if he runs, but I'd still take the field vs him.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Isn't there a minimum age for the office?

Yes, it's 35. 

9 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Oh for sure.  I meant get the nomination.  Honestly, I've had enough of boomers in charge.

I think a lot of Democrats prefer someone younger.  I think that people are going to want to give the benefit of the doubt to younger candidates.  The contrast between Trump's angry old man ravings will look much worse if it's an articulate 50-something than if it's an articulate 70-something. 

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

Biden winning the nomination is no sure thing. His high polling among Democratic primary voters is almost entirely due to name recognition, which the other Democrats have a year to catch up on. And even so, his numbers are nowhere near as overwhelming as Clinton's in early 2015 were. 

I think he's the favorite if he runs, but I'd still take the field vs him.

I'm not even sure he's the favorite (I personally think it's very close between Harris, Beto and Biden).   I think Biden is a lot of people's default choice while they look for something better.  If the main other challengers fall flat for whatever reason, then Biden probably wins, but if Beto or Harris (or even an unknown like Bullock) catches fire, Biden can't keep up. 

President Donald Trump’s obsession with a border wall with Mexico has now kept the government partially shut for three weeks. But the commander in chief didn’t always think it was such an essential idea. In fact, it started out as a gimmick, or, as the New York Times calls it, “a mnemonic device of sorts.” During the time when Trump was weighing his presidential candidacy, aides wanted to come up with a way to help him remember to talk about getting tough on immigration, which was always seen as a key issue in his campaign.

Political advisers Sam Nunberg and Roger Stone apparently came up with the idea. “How do we get him to continue to talk about immigration?” Nunberg claims he told Stone. “We’re going to get him to talk about he’s going to build a wall.” The plan worked like a charm. Trump talked about immigration in his speeches, and the wall narrative got huge reactions from the crowd, which obviously thrilled Trump. So he kept pushing the idea harder and harder.

The laser focus on the wall, though, makes even some immigration hardliners nervous, because most don’t actually see it as the most important priority. And some who agree with Trump that immigration needs to be curbed worry that he’ll be willing to trade away things that are far more important in order to get his wall. “I’ve always thought it created a danger that he would trade almost anything in order to get the wall,” said Mark Krikorian, the executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies. “I’m still worried about that now.”

Trump’s Wall Reportedly a Gimmick Campaign Aides Came Up With So He’d Remember to Talk Immigration

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/trumps-wall-reportedly-a-gimmick-campaign-aides-came-up-with-so-hed-remember-to-talk-immigration.html

Archived