Are Any of the Board's Chemists, Physicists, or Other Top Boffins Able to Explain This?

Spockydog

'Something Insane Is Happening in the Sky.' Pulsating Blue Light Flashes Over New York City After Transformer Explosion

The lights caused a stir on social media as several witnesses posted photographs and videos of a bright, blue flash that filled the night’s sky. The Manhattan skyline and iconic East River bridges were suddenly silhouetted against a backdrop of pulsating light.

According to NY's mayor, this was caused by a surge at a substation. Some outlets saying there was a small explosion, but I cannot fathom how an explosion would cause such a phenomenon. Why the pulsating blue light?

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

When a transformer blows in my area it causes really bright light (usually green or purple) to pulsate off the clouds of the storm causing the transformer to blow.  It’s strange looking but not caused by aliens.

Sounds exactly like what an Alien would say.

Or worse. An Alien denier.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

:)

Hey I've always wanted to ask you something if you wouldn't mind indulging some curiosity. I've come across the occasional reference to sects of Orthodoxy that believe you have to 'sin in order to repent' is the gist I gather. Specifically regarding drinking and wild ass parties.

Can you attest to this? 'Cause last night I slipped in the shower, and I caught myself like it was ok, but uh y'know, if there's this party religion out there let's just say Jace needs to start planning for the future.

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Hey I've always wanted to ask you something if you wouldn't mind indulging some curiosity. I've come across the occasional reference to sects of Orthodoxy that believe you have to 'sin in order to repent' is the gist I gather. Specifically regarding drinking and wild ass parties.

Can you attest to this? 'Cause last night I slipped in the shower, and I caught myself like it was ok, but uh y'know, if there's this party religion out there let's just say Jace needs to start planning for the future.

In 20 years as an Orthodox Christian I’ve never heard that phrased that way.  However, it makes a certain degree of sense because the Orthodox east has a very different view of “original sin” than the Roman west.  Most western Christians believe that orginal sin taints us all personally.  In the East the view is that the world is fallen and as such it is nearly impossible to avoid sin.  But with that understanding it does square with the idea you state that you must “sin before you repent”.  It does mean that if you haven’t sinned you have nothing to repent.  What makes this really hard is that taking pride in not sinning would be a sin too, so, something that does need to be confessed.

Interesting.

25 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

19 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

In 20 years as an Orthodox Christian I’ve never heard that phrased that way.  However, it makes a certain degree of sense because the Orthodox east has a very different view of “original sin” than the Roman west.  Most western Christians believe that orginal sin taints us all personally.  In the East the view is that the world is fallen and as such it is nearly impossible to avoid sin.  But with that understanding it does square with the idea you state that you must “sin before you repent”.  It does mean that if you haven’t sinned you have nothing to repent.  What makes this really hard is that taking pride in not sinning would be a sin too, so, something that does need to be confessed.

Interesting.

Soooo... yeah... exploding Transformers... Aliens...

I haven't seen the Bumblebee movie yet either.

No explosion or fires, but electrical arcing. Similar to lightning they can cause the air to ionize and I guess show colors. I don't exactly know how visible light interacts with plasma, but it looking blue is not out of the question, ionized gases have some weird optical effects (some even used in light fixtures).

Maybe the pulsing is from AC, most lightning tends to be discharge from charged clouds to the earth where they are always of the same kind of charge.

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

No explosion or fires, but electrical arcing. Similar to lightning they can cause the air to ionize and I guess show colors. I don't exactly know how visible light interacts with plasma, but it looking blue is not out of the question, ionized gases have some weird optical effects (some even used in light fixtures).

Maybe the pulsing is from AC, most lightning tends to be discharge from charged clouds to the earth where they are always of the same kind of charge.

Just like when I arcweld something but much brighter. 

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Interesting.

Extremely interesting thank you. Most of the allusions to I guess the very extreme description i supplied come from stories about Rasputin and current Russian Kleptocrats having parties with Putin.

10 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Sounds exactly like what an Alien would say.

Or worse. An Alien denier.

Nah Jace, slipper in showers. It's still clearly the lizard people. Or maybe the clouds are finally going to attack?

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nah Jace, slipper in showers. It's still clearly the lizard people. Or maybe the clouds are finally going to attack?

Back in my day the clouds stayed in the sky where they belong. But inexorably they have descended upon us! Open your eyes to the blinding fog!

Archived