A New Fellowship

Lady Rhodes

While in another thread with  @Feather Crystal, I got to thinking about theory I have heard a couple of times on this forum.  Regarding Rheagar, Lyanna, and Elia, I am becoming more of the belief that Rhaegar had formed an inner circle that consisted of people trying to stop the second coming of the Others. This group, which I believed at a minimum consisted of Rhaegar, Elia, Arthur Dayne and Ashara Dayne, brought Lyanna into the fold during the Tourney of Harrenhal.  In explaining this theory, I dubbed them the "fellowship" and it got us debating: could this be a parallel to Lord of the Rings?

The Fellowship was formed to destroy the ring and stop the rise of Sauron and Sarumon in Mordor.  I am thinking that this "Fellowship" was formed to stop the rise of the Others, through brining the Prince that was Promised prophecy to life.  However, we know that Martin likes to subvert tropes (Sansa being in love with knights and chivalry and golden princes, only to be sold like cattle at market and beat), and it makes me wonder if he may be doing the same thing here with this little "fellowship".  Obviously, if I am correct, the fellowship went terribly, horribly wrong. In Tolkein's, all the main players survive (arguable about Gandalf, but I am not going to quibble at this time.) In that sense, it has already been subverted. 

Regardless, I am open to thoughts. @Frey family reunionI know we share similar views on the inner circle, so I would love your input.

@John Suburbs You could be right! I am a R+L=J believer, but I don't necessarily think that there has to be a giddy love story for it to be true, either.  I am intrigued by Ashara's inclusion in the story at all. She has really served zero purpose.  All references to her could be removed at it would not change the story as we know it.  Which leads me to believe she is more thoroughly important than what we realize.

2 hours ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

Its funny, I literally just watched the scene where the Fellowship of the Ring gets formed. If this is the case, I imagine Rhaegar would include Maester Aemon in on his plan. 

Too funny! Oh, Aemon is a good point, and doesn't Aemon mention that he used to communicate with Rhaegar via letters frequently?

Add to that fellowship maester Marwyn (who was, possibly, family doctor of Targaryens at Dragonstone, and was present at the Tower of Joy, when Lyanna was giving birth to Jon), and maester Aemon (because him and Rhaegar were discussing TPTWP prophecy).

3 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

She has really served zero purpose.  All references to her could be removed at it would not change the story as we know it. 

Unless she is Jyana Reed, and thus, is still alive, and knows not only Jon's real origin, but also where the Dawn is, and that is VERY important, if Dawn of Daynes is Azor Ahai's Lightbringer. In my opinion, Ashara is GRRM's parallel to water fairy Nimue, The Lady of the Lake from Arthurian legends, that according to some versions of it, was the one, who gave Excalibur to King Arthur (and Jon is, possibly, parallel to Arthur). Though Ashara is not the only character of ASOIAF, that are GRRM's parallel to Nimue, there's also Shiera Seastar/Quaithe, who, possibly, has binded Bloodraven to the Weirwood, same as Nimue did to her lover, wizard Merlin.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

maester Marwyn (who was, possibly, family doctor of Targaryens at Dragonstone, and was present at the Tower of Joy, when Lyanna was giving birth to Jon

This is new to me?! Can you share how you came to this?  Also, regarding Ashara: I agree that she must be important because otherwise, there is no reason to include her in the story.

10 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

Anything is possible, since we know next to nothing about what happened after Harrenhal. It is also possible that Rhaegar had nothing at all to do with Lyanna's disappearance, was never with her at the ToJ, has nothing to do with Jon...

True.  

11 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

While in another thread with  @Feather Crystal, I got to thinking about theory I have heard a couple of times on this forum.  Regarding Rheagar, Lyanna, and Elia, I am becoming more of the belief that Rhaegar had formed an inner circle that consisted of people trying to stop the second coming of the Others. This group, which I believed at a minimum consisted of Rhaegar, Elia, Arthur Dayne and Ashara Dayne, brought Lyanna into the fold during the Tourney of Harrenhal.  In explaining this theory, I dubbed them the "fellowship" and it got us debating: could this be a parallel to Lord of the Rings?

The Fellowship was formed to destroy the ring and stop the rise of Sauron and Sarumon in Mordor.  I am thinking that this "Fellowship" was formed to stop the rise of the Others, through brining the Prince that was Promised prophecy to life.  However, we know that Martin likes to subvert tropes (Sansa being in love with knights and chivalry and golden princes, only to be sold like cattle at market and beat), and it makes me wonder if he may be doing the same thing here with this little "fellowship".  Obviously, if I am correct, the fellowship went terribly, horribly wrong. In Tolkein's, all the main players survive (arguable about Gandalf, but I am not going to quibble at this time.) In that sense, it has already been subverted. 

Regardless, I am open to thoughts. @Frey family reunionI know we share similar views on the inner circle, so I would love your input.

The problem is, everything Rhaegar did is counterproductive to preparing the kingdom for war with the Others.  If he knew what was coming and still did the things he did, gosh, that would make him the idiot of the century.  

30 minutes ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

True.  

The problem is, everything Rhaegar did is counterproductive to preparing the kingdom for war with the Others.  If he knew what was coming and still did the things he did, gosh, that would make him the idiot of the century.  

Oh, I think things went terribly wrong! That in and of itself may be part of the parallel subversion 

19 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:
20 hours ago, Megorova said:

maester Marwyn (who was, possibly, family doctor of Targaryens at Dragonstone, and was present at the Tower of Joy, when Lyanna was giving birth to Jon

This is new to me?! Can you share how you came to this? 

It's just a guess, and I could be totally wrong about this.

Mirri Maz Duur said, that Marwyn was her teacher, and Marwyn is a maester. Mirri is a midwife, among other things, so what was he teaching to her? There are rumours, that Marwyn keeps the company of whores, and visits black brothels <- What for? I think, that he's helping those women with abortions and childbirth. It was said, that Lyanna was "a child-woman" - Ned, and that "She was slim of frame" - Theon's dream; and it seems, that Jon was bigger than Robb, so it's likely, that Lyanna was unable to naturaly give birth, and thus, Jon was born thru cesarean section, and this is the real meaning of 'Lyanna died in the bed of blood'. It wasn't just a mere birthbed, it was in blood, because Marwyn had to cut Lyanna, to save at least her child, when it became obvious, that she will die either way. We know, that he does know human anatomy, because it's one of those things, that he taught to Mirri.

Also it was mentioned, that after Elia gave birth to Aegon, maesters told Rhaegar, that she won't have children anymore. She gave birth, both times, at Dragonstone. So they have their own maester there. It seems, that Marwyn knows about the promised Prince prophecy, and that he thought, that it was Rhaegar. Marwyn's ring, rod and mask are made of Valyrian steel. This actually could be a hint, that he is connected to Targaryens. And he had access to book "Signs and Portents", written by Daenys the Dreamer, who was a Targaryen. So, probably, that book is the source, after reading which, Rhaegar has decided, that he is the promised Prince, and that he should become a warrior/knight. Rhaegar is the one, who gave Marwyn access to private archives of Targaryens.

I think, that Marwyn was also present in Drogo's tent, when Dany was giving birth to Rhaego. This is him - "Ser Jorah's face was drawn and sorrowful. "Rhaegar was the last dragon," he told her. He warmed translucent hands over a glowing brazier where stone eggs smouldered red as coals. One moment he was there and the next he was fading, his flesh colorless, less substantial than the wind. "The last dragon," he whispered, thin as a wisp, and was gone."

He came there same way, as Quaithe came to Dany, on board of Balerion ship, on top of pyramid in Meereen, and again in Dothraki Grass Sea, in Dany's last chapter in ADWD. Quaithe was also present in Drogo's tent, when Dany was giving birth. She was seen by Dany as smiling and whispering stars (because "her mask is made of starlight"); as ghost kings with eyes colored like jade, amethyst, tourmaline and opal <- all those stones could be green and blue, like Shiera Seastar's mismatched eyes, and swords of pale fire, in hands of those kings, could be a glass candle; as Viserys, when she took off her mask and cape. So I think, that Quaithe is Shiera Seastar; and that Rhaego isn't dead (because during his childbirth Dany was assisted not only by Mirri, but also by her two ex-teahers - Marwyn and Quaithe); and that Dany knew, what needs to be done, to hatch dragon eggs, because Shiera told her what to do <- she had stayed with Dany for hours, after Dany gave birth to her child, and was whispering to her. And Dany has forgotten, what actually happened then, because Mirri gave her milk of the poppy, which is morphine, and it causes hallucinations and sometimes memory loss.

If my guess is correct, and that transparrent Jorah in Dany's dream was actually Marwyn, who came there either by using glass candle, or thru usage of shadow magic (that he has learned from Quaithe, who is Shiera Seastar, when him and Mirri Maz Duur both were Quaithe's disciples in Asshai), then, based on his words, that Rhaegar was the last dragon, and that in the prophecy about the promised Prince, it was actually said, that the saviour is a "dragon"/male Targaryen?, then it seems, that Marwyn had personally known Rhaegar, and same as Rhaegar himself, thought, that Rhaegar was the promised Prince. That's why he was sort of dissapointed in Dany, or something like that, when she was going to give birth to Rhaego. Maybe Shiera said to him, that Rhaego or Dany is the promised Prince/Princess, and Marwyn has retorted it with - "Ser Jorah's face was drawn and sorrowful. "Rhaegar was the last dragon," he told her." - only it wasn't Jorah, it was Marwyn.

And there's other elements, but those three are the most relevant - 1. Marwyn has read book of "Signs and Portents", it's a fact; so how would he get access to it, if not with blessing from one of Targaryens, specifically Rhaegar?; 2. He knew Mirri Maz Duur, and also has visited Asshai, and he owns a glass candle, and was learning shadow magic in Asshai, if Quaithe was his teacher, and if she is really Shiera, then Marwyn has a very tight connection to Targaryens; 3. Possibly he was present during Rhaego's birth, which then means, that assisting childbirth, is one of his specialities <- and this is a crucial clue, that got me thinking.

Just think about it -> During burning of Summerhall, it was a complete chaos there. And in this conditions young Princess Rhaella was unexpectantly giving birth to her child. There was many people there, burned, wounded and dying. So there was many maesters there. And most able of them were helping to people, that were in critical condition. So, something as simple as childbirth, could have been entrusted to a youngster, that had just recently graduated out of Citadel - maester Marwyn.

(Or, maybe, at that time he wasn't even a maester, and Citadel-graduate. Maybe, he was a kennelmaster, or kennelmaster's assistant at Summerhall. That's why Leo Tyrell calls him mastiff. Mastiffs are mostly guard dogs or hunting dogs. So, maybe, Targaryens had their pack of hunting dogs at Summerhall, and Marwyn was tending to that dogs, including helping them with puppy delivery. If, when Rhaella went into labor, in the middle of that calamity, and there was no one else to help her with childbirth, besides a guy, who was a dog-keeper, then that's what they did - they let him assist her. And afterwards they sent him to Citadel to learn, and to become a maester, to return back to Targaryens, and to become their family maester. So at the time of Summerhall's burning, Marwyn could have been in his early teens. Then he has spent years at the Citadel, and went to King's Landing, when Rhaegar was already a teenager, or an adult.) (Or, maybe, Marwyn wasn't present during Rhaegar's birth, and instead got to know Rhaegar many years after burning of Summerhall. Somehow him and Rhaegar became friends, so Marwyn went with Rhaegar to Dragonstone, where he became maester for Rhaegar's family.)

So Marwyn helped with Rhaegar's birth, and then was made one of Targaryen family maesters. He was close to Rhaegar, so when Rhaegar has married, and moved with his wife to Dragonstone, he took Marwyn with him. Then Marwyn has helped Elia with Rhaenys' and Aegon's birth. So when Rhaegar has returned from Dorne, and confided with Marwyn, that Lyanna is pregnant, Marwyn went to the Tower of Joy, and assisted her during Jon's birth. After that he has returned back to Dragonstone, which at that time was his home/base. Later he also helped Rhaella during Dany's birth. Because Rhaella was giving birth to her child at Dragonstone, and Marwyn was local maester there. As simple as that. And when Viserys and Dany went to Essos, he also left Westeros, and went to Asshai, which was the source of the prophecy, to find more information about it, because it became obvious, that Rhaegar wasn't TPTWP. Then, thru his association with Quaithe/Shiera and Mirri, he also helped Dany with Rhaego's birth. Who knows, maybe, later he will also help Dany with delivery of her child/children from Jon ^_^

So, in my opinion, this possibility, that Marwyn was close to Rhaegar, and knew his secrets, is logical and highly likely. Though I could be wrong. We'll see later.

On 12/28/2018 at 7:21 AM, Lady Rhodes said:

snip

This is reaching. 

On 12/28/2018 at 7:50 AM, John Suburbs said:

Anything is possible, since we know next to nothing about what happened after Harrenhal. 

exactly 

On 12/28/2018 at 7:50 AM, John Suburbs said:

It is also possible that Rhaegar had nothing at all to do with Lyanna's disappearance, was never with her at the ToJ, has nothing to do with Jon...

Actual lol. I mean, wow. Like holy shit did you read the books wow.

18 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

This is reaching. 

exactly 

Actual lol. I mean, wow. Like holy shit did you read the books wow.

Um, yes, several times. And other than this unnamed, unknown person who rides up to Brandon out of the blue and spins this tale about Rhaegar kidnapping Lyanna, there is absolutely nothing in the book that confirms it, not any shred of text that he was ever with her or at the ToJ at all. If you got it, please post.

14 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Um, yes, several times. And other than this unnamed, unknown person who rides up to Brandon out of the blue and spins this tale about Rhaegar kidnapping Lyanna, there is absolutely nothing in the book that confirms it, not any shred of text that he was ever with her or at the ToJ at all. If you got it, please post.

I would never ruin the central plot mystery of the serios for you :rofl:

That Worldbook does a pretty decent job of setting forth those who would be in Rhaegar’s inner circle:

Prince Rhaegar’s support came from the younger men at court, including Lord Jon Connington, Ser Myles Mooton of Maidenpool, and Ser Richard Lonmouth. The Dornishmen who had come to court with the Princess Elia were in the prince’s confidence as well, particularly Prince Lewyn Martell, Elia’s uncle and a Sworn Brother of the Kingsguard. But the most formidable of all Rhaegar’s friends and allies in King’s Landing was surely Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning.

Based on what we know of Ned’s memories of the tower of joy, I would add Oswell Whent and Gerold Hightower.  And if Elia and Arthur are in Rhaegar’s inner circle, then I would throw in Arthur’s sister, and Elia’s lady in waiting, Ashara Dwayne.  And I would agree that Maester Aemon would be a part of the inner circle as well.

Notably, Rhaegar’s entire inner circle, with the obvious exception of Aemon and the possible exception of Myles Mooton, appeared to be present at the Harrenhal tourney:

Afterward, Ser Oswell Whent helped Jaime to his feet, and the White Bull himself, Lord Commander Hightower, fastened the snowy cloak of the Kingsguard about his shoulders.  All six White Swords were there to welcome their newest brother.

“She was,” said Meera, hopping over a stone, “but there were others fairer still. One was the wife of the dragon prince, who’d brought a dozen lady companions to attend her.

The Storm lord drank down the knight of skulls and kisses in a wine-cup war.

The crannogman saw a maid with laughing purple eyes dance with a white sword, a red snake, and the lord of griffins...

Now the real question is what was Rhaegar up to in organizing the Harrenhal tourney.  The Worldbook would lead us to believe that it was a secret Great Council to depose his father, but I personally believe that at the time of Harrenhal, Rhaegar was preparing for the Long Night and the Battle for the Dawn.

“It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. Rhaegar, I thought … the smoke was from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died. He shared my belief when he was young, but later he became persuaded that it was his own son who fulfilled the prophecy, for a comet had been seen above King’s Landing on the night Aegon was  conceived, and Rhaegar was certain the bleeding star had to be a comet.

While the Worldbook makes it a bit confusing, I think we can roughly estimate that the announcement of the Harrenhal tourney to have occurred either very late in 280 or very early in 281, which also roughly coincides with Aegon’s conception:

Aerys Targaryen and Tywin Lannister had met as boys, had fought and bled together in the War of the Ninepenny Kings, and had ruled the Seven Kingdoms together for close to twenty years, but in 281 AC this long partnership, which had proved so fruitful to the realm, came to a bitter end.

Shortly thereafter, Lord Walter Whent announced plans for a great tourney to be held at his seat at Harrenhal, to celebrate his maiden daughter’s nameday.    

This is known: The tourney was first announced by Walter Whent, Lord of Harrenhal, late in the year 280 AC, not long after a visit from his younger brother, Ser Oswell Whent, a knight of the Kingsguard.

So :dunno:

But my suspicion is that Rhaegar arranged the Harrenhal tourney shortly after his son’s conception when he observed the comet over King’s Landing.  So Rhaegar believed that the Prince that was Promised was on his way.  

And here is what we know Aemon believed about the Prince that was Promised:

But all of them seemed surprised to hear Maester Aemon murmur, “It is the war for the dawn you speak of, my lady. But where is the prince that was promised?”

So in other words, the prince that was promised, is linked to the war for the dawn.  And the war for the dawn, is the war that is supposed to prevent the Long Night.

And the soldiers who would be on the front lines of the war for the dawn, are the Night’s Watch.

When the singer reached the part in “The Night That Ended” where the Night’s Watch rode forth to meet the Others in the Battle for the Dawn, he blew a blast that set all the dogs to barking.

So if Rhaegar organized the Harrenhal tourney, with an eye towards the Battle for the Dawn, or the War for the Dawn, then we would expect the Night’s Watch to be represented, and what do you know:

The dragon prince sang a song so sad it made the wolf maid sniffle, but when her pup brother teased her for crying she poured wine over his head. A black brother spoke, asking the knights to join the Night’s Watch.

So after Rhaegar’s song, a black brother rose to ask knights to join the Night’s Watch.  I do wonder if these two events are related.  Was Rhaegar’s song supposed to persuade or inspire the assembled knights to join the Night’s Watch?  And interestingly enough, while that may have been unsuccessful, Rhaegar’s song appeared to have a strong affect on Lyanna...

15 hours ago, Megorova said:

It's just a guess, and I could be totally wrong about this.

Mirri Maz Duur said, that Marwyn was her teacher, and Marwyn is a maester. Mirri is a midwife, among other things, so what was he teaching to her? There are rumours, that Marwyn keeps the company of whores, and visits black brothels <- What for? I think, that he's helping those women with abortions and childbirth. It was said, that Lyanna was "a child-woman" - Ned, and that "She was slim of frame" - Theon's dream; and it seems, that Jon was bigger than Robb, so it's likely, that Lyanna was unable to naturaly give birth, and thus, Jon was born thru cesarean section, and this is the real meaning of 'Lyanna died in the bed of blood'. It wasn't just a mere birthbed, it was in blood, because Marwyn had to cut Lyanna, to save at least her child, when it became obvious, that she will die either way. We know, that he does know human anatomy, because it's one of those things, that he taught to Mirri.

Also it was mentioned, that after Elia gave birth to Aegon, maesters told Rhaegar, that she won't have children anymore. She gave birth, both times, at Dragonstone. So they have their own maester there. It seems, that Marwyn knows about the promised Prince prophecy, and that he thought, that it was Rhaegar. Marwyn's ring, rod and mask are made of Valyrian steel. This actually could be a hint, that he is connected to Targaryens. And he had access to book "Signs and Portents", written by Daenys the Dreamer, who was a Targaryen. So, probably, that book is the source, after reading which, Rhaegar has decided, that he is the promised Prince, and that he should become a warrior/knight. Rhaegar is the one, who gave Marwyn access to private archives of Targaryens.

I think, that Marwyn was also present in Drogo's tent, when Dany was giving birth to Rhaego. This is him - "Ser Jorah's face was drawn and sorrowful. "Rhaegar was the last dragon," he told her. He warmed translucent hands over a glowing brazier where stone eggs smouldered red as coals. One moment he was there and the next he was fading, his flesh colorless, less substantial than the wind. "The last dragon," he whispered, thin as a wisp, and was gone."

He came there same way, as Quaithe came to Dany, on board of Balerion ship, on top of pyramid in Meereen, and again in Dothraki Grass Sea, in Dany's last chapter in ADWD. Quaithe was also present in Drogo's tent, when Dany was giving birth. She was seen by Dany as smiling and whispering stars (because "her mask is made of starlight"); as ghost kings with eyes colored like jade, amethyst, tourmaline and opal <- all those stones could be green and blue, like Shiera Seastar's mismatched eyes, and swords of pale fire, in hands of those kings, could be a glass candle; as Viserys, when she took off her mask and cape. So I think, that Quaithe is Shiera Seastar; and that Rhaego isn't dead (because during his childbirth Dany was assisted not only by Mirri, but also by her two ex-teahers - Marwyn and Quaithe); and that Dany knew, what needs to be done, to hatch dragon eggs, because Shiera told her what to do <- she had stayed with Dany for hours, after Dany gave birth to her child, and was whispering to her. And Dany has forgotten, what actually happened then, because Mirri gave her milk of the poppy, which is morphine, and it causes hallucinations and sometimes memory loss.

If my guess is correct, and that transparrent Jorah in Dany's dream was actually Marwyn, who came there either by using glass candle, or thru usage of shadow magic (that he has learned from Quaithe, who is Shiera Seastar, when him and Mirri Maz Duur both were Quaithe's disciples in Asshai), then, based on his words, that Rhaegar was the last dragon, and that in the prophecy about the promised Prince, it was actually said, that the saviour is a "dragon"/male Targaryen?, then it seems, that Marwyn had personally known Rhaegar, and same as Rhaegar himself, thought, that Rhaegar was the promised Prince. That's why he was sort of dissapointed in Dany, or something like that, when she was going to give birth to Rhaego. Maybe Shiera said to him, that Rhaego or Dany is the promised Prince/Princess, and Marwyn has retorted it with - "Ser Jorah's face was drawn and sorrowful. "Rhaegar was the last dragon," he told her." - only it wasn't Jorah, it was Marwyn.

And there's other elements, but those three are the most relevant - 1. Marwyn has read book of "Signs and Portents", it's a fact; so how would he get access to it, if not with blessing from one of Targaryens, specifically Rhaegar?; 2. He knew Mirri Maz Duur, and also has visited Asshai, and he owns a glass candle, and was learning shadow magic in Asshai, if Quaithe was his teacher, and if she is really Shiera, then Marwyn has a very tight connection to Targaryens; 3. Possibly he was present during Rhaego's birth, which then means, that assisting childbirth, is one of his specialities <- and this is a crucial clue, that got me thinking.

Just think about it -> During burning of Summerhall, it was a complete chaos there. And in this conditions young Princess Rhaella was unexpectantly giving birth to her child. There was many people there, burned, wounded and dying. So there was many maesters there. And most able of them were helping to people, that were in critical condition. So, something as simple as childbirth, could have been entrusted to a youngster, that had just recently graduated out of Citadel - maester Marwyn.

(Or, maybe, at that time he wasn't even a maester, and Citadel-graduate. Maybe, he was a kennelmaster, or kennelmaster's assistant at Summerhall. That's why Leo Tyrell calls him mastiff. Mastiffs are mostly guard dogs or hunting dogs. So, maybe, Targaryens had their pack of hunting dogs at Summerhall, and Marwyn was tending to that dogs, including helping them with puppy delivery. If, when Rhaella went into labor, in the middle of that calamity, and there was no one else to help her with childbirth, besides a guy, who was a dog-keeper, then that's what they did - they let him assist her. And afterwards they sent him to Citadel to learn, and to become a maester, to return back to Targaryens, and to become their family maester. So at the time of Summerhall's burning, Marwyn could have been in his early teens. Then he has spent years at the Citadel, and went to King's Landing, when Rhaegar was already a teenager, or an adult.) (Or, maybe, Marwyn wasn't present during Rhaegar's birth, and instead got to know Rhaegar many years after burning of Summerhall. Somehow him and Rhaegar became friends, so Marwyn went with Rhaegar to Dragonstone, where he became maester for Rhaegar's family.)

So Marwyn helped with Rhaegar's birth, and then was made one of Targaryen family maesters. He was close to Rhaegar, so when Rhaegar has married, and moved with his wife to Dragonstone, he took Marwyn with him. Then Marwyn has helped Elia with Rhaenys' and Aegon's birth. So when Rhaegar has returned from Dorne, and confided with Marwyn, that Lyanna is pregnant, Marwyn went to the Tower of Joy, and assisted her during Jon's birth. After that he has returned back to Dragonstone, which at that time was his home/base. Later he also helped Rhaella during Dany's birth. Because Rhaella was giving birth to her child at Dragonstone, and Marwyn was local maester there. As simple as that. And when Viserys and Dany went to Essos, he also left Westeros, and went to Asshai, which was the source of the prophecy, to find more information about it, because it became obvious, that Rhaegar wasn't TPTWP. Then, thru his association with Quaithe/Shiera and Mirri, he also helped Dany with Rhaego's birth. Who knows, maybe, later he will also help Dany with delivery of her child/children from Jon ^_^

So, in my opinion, this possibility, that Marwyn was close to Rhaegar, and knew his secrets, is logical and highly likely. Though I could be wrong. We'll see later.

This was interesting. Perhaps Marwyn knows more than we realize

Archived