How would you feel about a ghost writer writing the rest of the series for Martin?

Varysblackfyre321

6 minutes ago, Marcelowww said:

I wouldn't read. I want George's version, not a Mr.Nobody's.

That's blasphemy.

Hold on, we'll have this conversation after I read another "Who is the Harpy?" thread, am duchess maybe some lively discussion about Danny's diarrhea.

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I genuinely feel conflicted about the idea. To be clear I’m not making this thread as an attack on Martin.

I'm not sure what the problem is.  There are many fans who say George is trying to stretch the story out and milking his cash cow.  There are many youtubers and self-proclaimed pundits who make money off of the story.  Maybe George feels obligated to these people.  When the story ends their income from youtube reviews ends.   George maybe wants to keep the story going for as long as possible to milk the cash cow.  

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I genuinely feel conflicted about the idea. To be clear I’m not making this thread as an attack on Martin.

I don't entirely believe you.

4 hours ago, Tucu said:

I would prefer to have an unfinished series; I would be OK if GRRM releases TWoW and then retire.

:agree: 100%!

4 hours ago, LindsayLohan said:

It's already been finished, on HBO.  And their version is better than GRRM's version, which is a mess.

Click bait.

19 minutes ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

I'm not sure what the problem is.  There are many fans who say George is trying to stretch the story out and milking his cash cow.  There are many youtubers and self-proclaimed pundits who make money off of the story.  Maybe George feels obligated to these people.  When the story ends their income from youtube reviews ends.   George maybe wants to keep the story going for as long as possible to milk the cash cow.  

Ridiculous. 

13 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

It's a terrible idea.   No one can tell this story except GRRM. 

:agree: 100%!

If GRRM never finishes the story, someone else will.  That is inevitable, regardless of what anyone thinks ought to happen.

Preferably, he would finish it himself.

Failing that, the next best thing would be for him to complete as much as he can, and then provide as much guidance as possible to the next guy.

I could be OK with it, but only if GRRM will at least write a short summary (10 or so pages long), of what was he going to write in TWOW and ADOS, with key-events, and that summary will be made available, when those books (written not by him) will be published.

No. Not at all.

I have read enough of his other stories where he had a co-writer and the entire tone is different. You guys complain about A Feast for Crows now? You'd really be lightin' up a shit storm with how any other ASOIAF main story sounds, plots move, dialogue, etc.

And GRRM has made enough comments that should he go before the series is complete, it will stay as such. He doesn't want someone else finishing it for him. An unfinished series is an awful thought, but we have no control over that aspect.

11 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

If GRRM never finishes the story, someone else will.  That is inevitable, regardless of what anyone thinks ought to happen.

Preferably, he would finish it himself.

Failing that, the next best thing would be for him to complete as much as he can, and then provide as much guidance as possible to the next guy.

The story is GRRM's property.  If he doesn't want someone else to finish the story it won't happen.  Officially, at least.

But I'm sure some fans will take it on unofficially, probably with lots of explosions, sword fights, dragon battles and car chases. 

3 hours ago, White Ravens said:

The story is GRRM's property.  If he doesn't want someone else to finish the story it won't happen.  Officially, at least.

Like I said, I support GRRM's right to keep tinkering at his baby as long as he remains above ground, which will hopefully be for another 3 decades or more.

After that?  Dead people cannot own property.  It will eventually occur to whoever owns the rights that there is money to be made.  And even if the rights-holder decides to honor some unenforceable provision in GRRM's will, the rights will eventually pass on to someone who feels differently.  And if somehow, amazingly, incredibly, this fails to happen for about 70 years, or so, following GRRM's death, the property will pass into the public domain.  And then it will happen anyway.

All I am saying is that, somehow, someway, it is going to happen (if GRRM fails to finish).  And if it happens, it might as well have as much supervision from GRRM as possible.  So, if at age 85 or 90, GRRM finally accepts he is never going to finish this himself, then I would not be averse to his hiring someone else to finish it under his supervision. 

Archived