How would you feel about a ghost writer writing the rest of the series for Martin?

Varysblackfyre321

1 hour ago, Platypus Rex said:

Like I said, I support GRRM's right to keep tinkering at his baby as long as he remains above ground, which will hopefully be for another 3 decades or more.

After that?  Dead people cannot own property.  It will eventually occur to whoever owns the rights that there is money to be made.  And even if the rights-holder decides to honor some unenforceable provision in GRRM's will, the rights will eventually pass on to someone who feels differently.  And if somehow, amazingly, incredibly, this fails to happen for about 70 years, or so, following GRRM's death, the property will pass into the public domain.  And then it will happen anyway.

All I am saying is that, somehow, someway, it is going to happen (if GRRM fails to finish).  And if it happens, it might as well have as much supervision from GRRM as possible.  So, if at age 85 or 90, GRRM finally accepts he is never going to finish this himself, then I would not be averse to his hiring someone else to finish it under his supervision. 

Oh.  That's what you were saying?  It wasn't evident to me in your last post.

I've read that GRRM doesn't want someone else finishing his story if he dies before he gets there.  I respect that.  If he changes his mind, I will respect that too.  His story finished the way he wants it to be finished.

The show is going to finish the story in about 3 months.  As far as I can reckon, that is the closest thing to a Martin ending that anyone will get.  I would have preferred a writing partner who might have helped him move through the various plot problems and toward an ending.  I guess I would see a ghost writer about the same as the show.  I do agree that eventually some other author will finish the story, whether this is what GRRM wanted or not.  

1 hour ago, White Ravens said:

I've read that GRRM doesn't want someone else finishing his story if he dies before he gets there.  I respect that. 

Take that with a grain of salt.  He's already given HBO certain rights to finish the story.  This is, I think, just his way of saying "screw you" to a certain section of the fandom.

But even if I'm wrong, it does not matter.  Dead people don't have intellectual property rights.

"If he changes his mind, I will respect that too."

It might be hard for him to change his mind after he is dead.  But, in any event, dead people don't hold intellectual property rights.

7 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

He's already given HBO certain rights to finish the story.

This is a good point. Should GRRM pass on finishing the books, for whatever reason, the most likely written resolution to the story will be a spliced in novelization of the TV show ending.

5 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

And GRRM has made enough comments that should he go before the series is complete, it will stay as such. He doesn't want someone else finishing it for him. 

What's he going to do?  Rise from the grave and haunt people?

If he dies with it unfinished, someone else will finish it.  For better or worse (probably for worse). 

Presumably his 'intellectual property' rights would pass to his wife, wouldn't they?  She would certainly have control of any of his notes and drafts, unless he were to destroy them himself or will them to another party.  After she would die, I'm not sure how or where control of the intellectual property would go, but eventually it will pass into public domain, I think in 30 years? 

52 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Presumably his 'intellectual property' rights would pass to his wife, wouldn't they?  She would certainly have control of any of his notes and drafts, unless he were to destroy them himself or will them to another party.  After she would die, I'm not sure how or where control of the intellectual property would go, but eventually it will pass into public domain, I think in 30 years? 

If he dies without a will, then all his property would pass to his wife, including intellectual property rights and any surviving drafts.  Unless some secretly-acknowledged love-child comes forward.

If he dies with a will that says, in effect "all to wife", then that is effectively the same thing.

If he dies WITH a will, AND the will contains a provision giving his drafts and intellectual property rights to a specific person, then that person will get those things.

If he dies WITH a will, and the Will makes no such provision, but otherwise divides his property among specific persons, then the property will become a part of his "residual estate".  If a single person receives the residual estate, the executor would just turn them over.  Otherwise, his executor would be responsible for maximizing the value of these assets, for the benefit of the various beneficiaries of the residual estate.

70 years after the death of the author, the work would enter public domain.

By then the survivors of the human race will be living in castles again anyway, so the genre of the series will change from fantasy to machiavellian survival reading, and readership will be small, limited to only those trusted with mind sharpening materials.  The finale will come down on the side of the lords, and the rabble like wildlings will be screwed, in keeping with the real politics of the (dooms-) day.

On 12/28/2018 at 3:44 PM, LindsayLohan said:

Hold on, we'll have this conversation after I read another "Who is the Harpy?" thread, am duchess maybe some lively discussion about Danny's diarrhea.

Lol. And really, it is amazing that after 2.5 years people can still put their head in the sand about R+L=J

3 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

If he dies with it unfinished, someone else will finish it.  For better or worse (probably for worse). 

It's simple; Martin will never die. Kidding but, I really dislike the thought of him having no decision of even having a ghost writer finish the series. It seems such a violation. Simply gross. 

2 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It's simple; Martin will never die. Kidding but, I really dislike the thought of him having no decision of even having a ghost writer finish the series. It seems such a violation. Simply gross. 

Violation of what, though?  If you don't like it, you don't have to read it.

The purpose of copyright law is to preserve (for a while) the right to profit from an artists work to the artist and the artists heirs.  

It does not exist to ban works of art, merely because you think they should not exist.

6 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

"If he changes his mind, I will respect that too."

It might be hard for him to change his mind after he is dead.  But, in any event, dead people don't hold intellectual property rights.

I should have been more clear, I guess.  I assumed that him changing his mind would have to happen while he is still alive. 

6 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

Well, I see Cas has already answered you with much of what I’d also reply, the rights would most likely be willed outright to Parris, and I would not put it past GRRM to give any notes a Targ death ritual either by he himself or his wife. And on top of that, you really think Wordstar will be operable forever? My brother is pissed his beloved flip phone had to be traded in and that thing was a fraction of the age. 

And I’d have zero interest in reading some fan fiction copy of the story. The abomination on the bewb tube has already tried and failed (the worse). It’s a disrespect to the author I don’t care to indulge in. If twenty-five years from now some amoral fuck writes an ending, expressly ignoring the mans wishes, I hope he is haunted by GRRM and the next rug he installs is infested by fleas. 

He already has several incomplete (not a) series, and I knew that going in. He could make mad bank if he wanted to just by finishing Avalon. 

Archived