Football: the winter break

Iskaral Pust

Alex Meier (aka Frankfurt's footballing god) has found a new (or rather old club). He is our stop gap solution to the longterm injury for Veerman (who won't be back again this season :crying:). It's been almost 18 years since he started his senior career with us, so I hope this one works out.

Atleti vs Sevilla was a good game. Partey and Rodri are boss midfielders. Oblak is the best keeper in the world imo. The guy impresses me so much every time I watch him. Think people seem to not rate him as high cause of the reputation of Atletis defense but he saves their asses all the time. 

Atleti are going to need Oblak more than ever as well because their defence is in need of a revamp. Both Juanfran and Felipe Luis will be turning 34, Savic is wank, Godin has refused a contract extension and looks set to leave on a free at the end of the season and rumours saying Bayern are prepared to pay the release clause for Lucas Hernandez. 

Saw a report saying Jose turned Benfica down because he wants a job at a top European club. Question is who would actually want him? I dont see a vacancy in england being opened up for him, cant see either madrid team or barca wanting him in spain, psg maybe if the current manager doesnt get the job done how the oil barrons would like? Which leaves Italy, ac milan could be a possible destination although he did manage inter.

At this point he really needs to rebuild his reputation and I cant see any really big teams wanting him 

Lots of rotation for Liverpool away to Wolves in the FAC.  I’m happy to see it, and I won’t judge the youngsters harshly on how they perform in such a disjoint line-up. 

I expect Wolves to be heavily focused on this.  Their ability to beat big teams makes them a possible contender.

32 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Lovren injured. Probably the player we could least afford to pick up an injury. Now VVD is our only fit CB

Bit of a disaster there.  If he got a muscle strain within the first five minutes then that seems like something the medical staff should have anticipated.

Considering the midfield looked like a fairly strong selection in a side with otherwise decidedly second choice players they've been pretty disappointing on the ball.

Lovren getting injured could be a serious problem hopefully Gomez isn't too far away from being back to fitness. In fairness to him for a 16 year old getting thrown into a senior game against a pretty strong Premier League lineup Hoever's done pretty well, you can see why he's apparently rated quite highly. Having said that there's no way I can see him playing in the league. Camacho doesn't look anywhere near ready at right back either.

21 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Considering the midfield looked like a fairly strong selection in a side with otherwise decidedly second choice players they've been pretty disappointing on the ball.

Lovren getting injured could be a serious problem hopefully Gomez isn't too far away from being back to fitness. In fairness to him for a 16 year old getting thrown into a senior game against a pretty strong Premier League lineup Hoever's done pretty well, you can see why he's apparently rated quite highly. Having said that there's no way I can see him playing in the league. Camacho doesn't look anywhere near ready at right back either.

Isn't Hoever the Dutch academy player, whom Klopp considers to be good enough to cover for TAA, so that Clyne departing wasn't that much of a biggy for him?

14 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Isn't Hoever the Dutch academy player, whom Klopp considers to be good enough to cover for TAA, so that Clyne departing wasn't that much of a biggy for him?

Well he’s a Dutch youth player who I’ve heard is rated highly, I think you can see why based on this game. I doubt he’ll be used to cover at right back this season though, Milner and Fabinho can both play there and Camacho was picked ahead of him tonight. Maybe next year if they want to bring him through in a similar way to Gomez.

We'll see. But if I am not mistaken Hoever is 17 and has been playing for Liverpool's u21 (or under 23) squad for a year or so, and taking part in the senior squads training for a quite a bit.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he picks up a league game or two this season.

Not too disappointed about going out of the cup, and quite glad we avoided a replay.  We still have CL games ahead.  And I cannot criticize any players for struggling in such a disjointed mishmash, especially away to a full strength opponent who has been very good against ball-playing teams.

I'm not sure why Lallana didn't play, his experience would have been helpful.  I'm glad Keita played a full game but a bit disappointed that he didn't show something more.  Camacho, Jones and Hoever all acquitted themselves well for their age and experience.

Archived