Football: the winter break

Iskaral Pust

Fabinho did well in an unfamiliar position, but then we missed him in his usual position. 

Hopefully Matip is ready for the next game. 

I’m not sure what the catalyst will be for Keita but I’m sure he’ll come good eventually.  He hasn’t been terrible all season — he was even very good in a few games — but lacking consistency or momentum; not helped by injuries, rotation, over-playing at times, and learning curve.  Focusing on the basics for a while might help him. 

Another loss, Arsenal are starting to slide out of CL contention, 6 points off the pace now and United could draw level with us on points, making it even harder to sneak in to that last spot.

I was always of the mind that a top four finish from Emery would be a great success but it's going to be touch and go. Realistically Chelsea will have to slip up for us to manage it, Liverpool, City and Tottenham look nailed on for the top three.

I'd be okay with Europa League this year if it means we've taken this year to clean up the team roster and solve some issues i.e. Ozil, Ramsey, and replace them properly.

8 hours ago, Jeor said:

I'd be okay with Europa League this year if it means we've taken this year to clean up the team roster and solve some issues i.e. Ozil, Ramsey, and replace them properly. 

I think Özil will be tough to move with his contract. Bear in mind, this is (in all likelihood) is his last big contract, so I can really see ratehr sitting i tout instead of taking a big pay cut by moving.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:08 PM, Consigliere said:

It seems that the Spanish and French media are trying to outdo each other. Spanish outlets convinced it's a done deal for Barca while French media are saying it's a done deal for PSG. Dutch outlet (De Telegraaf) remains firm in their stance that PSG is de Jong's preferred destination and it seems that PSG are the only club prepared to meet Ajax's valuation as well as fees to various intermediaries. 

The tug of war between the clubs for Rabiot is also interesting. Rumoredly Tuchel is not totally opposed to selling him, and if Rabiot moves for big fee, he wants to sign Weigl.

Weigl is kinda his favorite pupil, and his playing time at Dortmund this season has vastly diminished.

33 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The tug of war between the clubs for Rabiot is also interesting. Rumoredly Tuchel is not totally opposed to selling him, and if Rabiot moves for big fee, he wants to sign Weigl.

Weigl is kinda his favorite pupil, and his playing time at Dortmund this season has vastly diminished.

PSG won't get any money for Rabiot. His contract is up at the end of the season and he isn't signing a new one. Barca is his most likely destination (although there have been reports of interest from Bayern and Chelsea as well) but based on some reports, it appears that Barca's board aren't too happy about certain demands being made by his mother who is also his agent. Rabiot is a good player but he comes with baggage and a bad attitude.

Just now, Consigliere said:

PSG won't get any money for Rabiot. His contract is up at the end of the season and he isn't signing a new one. Barca is his most likely destination (although there have been reports of interest from Bayern and Chelsea as well) but based on some reports, it appears that Barca's board aren't too happy about certain demands being made by his mother who is also his agent. Rabiot is a good player but he comes with baggage and a bad attitude.

I meant selling him in January.

10 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I meant selling him in January.

Okay but that won't happen. Barca aren't interested in signing him now and I don't think Bayern would either (if those rumours have any truth to them). Interested clubs are just looking to secure a pre-contract agreement. I just saw a report claiming that Tuchel fears no reinforcements will be arriving this month. 

Son is playing for Spurs.  I thought he was at the Asian Cup.  It seems he got a special deal to miss the first two games for South Korea. 

That’s a pretty sharp contrast to Matip’s suspension for actually retiring from international football but only communicating verbally in a direct conversation rather than also in writing. 

9 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It seems he got a special deal to miss the first two games for South Korea. 

Afaik, they made a deal basically that Spurs wouldn't kick off about him going to the thing in August/September if they let him have a couple extra games now.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Afaik, they made a deal basically that Spurs wouldn't kick off about him going to the thing in August/September if they let him have a couple extra games now.

Spurs had no basis to complain in August/September.  Son was eligible for selection and clubs cannot block international call-ups (and I’ve complained plenty about how FIFA have self-appointed first priority). 

It’s not a bad thing that the national team came to some accommodation here, but it is a jarringly different treatment from Matip.

Archived