Football: the winter break

Iskaral Pust

Some good news for beleaguered United fans. Bouhafsi reporting that Martial has agreed to a new 5 year contract. Says that information has been confirmed by Philippe Lamboley (Martial's agent) who further specified that only a few details need to be finalised. Hopefully De Gea is next.

Rebbe also out of the door at Huddersfield. I really didn't get what Huddersfield/Wagner saw in Rebbe when they signed him, since his short time at Wolfsburg was hardly a success story. And apparently they are trying to replicate Wagner's by signing the trying to sign the manager from Dortmund's second team, again. I have no particular opinion on him, as in not seen enough to form a sound judgement.

Meanwhile TAA also signed a five year extension at Liverpool. Looks like they intend to keep their player core together for the foreseeable future. I am mildly curious to see whether some silverware will find its way to Anfield, or if they'll just be there to push City.

13 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Milner has done pretty well so far. No fullback is going to get the better of Zaha every time.

Our forward line is the problem at the moment. Mane has been poor again, and Firmino is offering nothing.

Yee fair enough not saying Zaha wouldn’t be getting the better of Clyne but still think it was a weird decision to loan him out. 

Naby was awful again sadly. Shaq ahould come on for him asap imo.

Martial & Dalot both miss a lot of simple things, which is currently a problem four our left hand-side. Young is very shaky both in attack and defence. Also, pretty much every set-piece we defend against is a chance we concede to opponents, especially since Ole's been appointed.

But yeah, that let aside, it's a good half.

Ridiculous ending there but at least we won.  With Milner sent off and Fabinho injured, we had a three man defense shielded by Henderson and Lallana plus our front four.  Not a huge surprise that we conceded another but very, very glad it didn’t cost us points. 

Mane got the winner but missed an easy chance and was poor again.  Keita is struggling badly. 

We have ten days before our next game.  We need to hope Fabinho, Gini and TAA all recover from injuries.  And Gomez too soon.

Such a pity we couldn't grab some GD here. Because of that, we might not keep our current 5th spot, considering Arsenal have a better GD than us.

Anyway, this was our worst half under Ole. While we did have a few big chances against Spurs in 2nd half, today it seems we were inviting Brighton to get an equalizer in 2nd half. Fortunately Lindelof & Jones are on a good run of form.

Also, it's terrifying how we always play on left hand-side. It was especially a problem today, with right-footed Dalot playing at RB and having a crappy performance.

(come on Arsenal)

Another good performance by United for the first 60 or so minutes. After that it seemed like we ran out of steam which has happened in nearly every game under Solskjaer. I guess the fitness levels are not what they should be which is not so surprising given that our football has been slow and static for 5-and-a-half season as well as being consistently among the bottom 2 or 3 sides in terms of distance covered. 

5 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Fortunately Lindelof & Jones are on a good run of form.

Also, it's terrifying how we always play on left hand-side. It was especially a problem today, with right-footed Dalot playing at RB and having a crappy performance.

The bolded actually surprises me. You and I have completely different takes on this. Firstly, Dalot played at LB and had a good game (even provided an assist). Young, otoh, was 100% rubbish. Lindelof was solid but Jones was Jones, which is to say he looked like Bambi on ice - the bloke is a total liability. The moment Smalling is fit again, he needs to be brought in for Jones.

Arsenal played a good game. Chelsea were sluggish and even in the 2nd half, they didn't create much. The goals have really dried up for them. Higuain might help but they better hope that his recent struggles are just a temporary loss of form rather than a permanent decline - in the league, he only managed 3 goals and 4 assists in his last 15 games for Juve and 6 goals + 1 assist for Milan in 15 games this season. He hasn't been effective in build up and link up play either. 

I didn't see the match but 2-0 is a great result.

Good to see Koscielny back as well. Obviously he scored a goal but by all reports he had a good game defensively too. If we can get Koscielny back into the centre of defence and playing well, that will be a big boost. It's not surprising our defence has been even leakier than usual while he's been out long term injured.

I know Ramsey wanted a lot of money, but it's going to be a real shame to see him leave the club. He clearly wanted to stay, and even now, when he's got no incentive to do well for us, he's playing really well and has been giving everything for the team. It's no secret that I like him, but he's been so good for us down the years. Sigh. Imma be sad at the end of the season :( - losing him and Ozil is going to be unfortunate. 

Archived