Football: the winter break

Iskaral Pust

So Ox could be back to full training by mid Feb according to David Maddock of the Mirror. If it does happen,it would be great.Hopefully he gets to play at least a few games.

Liverpool expected to become first club with €100m annual net profit

Liverpool are expected to become the first club in the world to report an annual net profit of more than €100 million (£88.3m), according to new estimates.The record finances come largely thanks to a Champions League final spot worth €81.3m (£71.7m) and the sale of Philippe Coutinho in January 2018 to Barcelona, valued by some experts at €130m (£115m).

Premier League clubs’ aggregate revenue was €5.3bn, comfortably more than La Liga (€2.9bn), Bundesliga (€2.8bn), Serie A (€2.1bn) and Ligue 1 (€1.6bn).

The first year of the current Premier League TV rights cycle fuelled the biggest gain over European rivals, with television revenue increasing by 47 per cent, currently totalling £2.8 bn in global rights pay packets. The league has already raised £8.3bn alone for 2019 to 2022 and could go as high as £9bn, a 20 per cent uplift on the previous deal.

Overall, the 38 English and German top-division clubs are responsible for 40 per cent of all top-division sponsorship.

The English top flight has the highest aggregate wage bills, but the depreciation of the pound sterling and strong double-digit growth in Spain and Germany has reduced the gap. English clubs paid 2.2 times the wages of La Liga clubs in 2016 but this has dropped to 1.8 times in 2017.

Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, Leicester City and Southampton featured in the top 20 clubs ranked by wages. Of the 20 highest-paying clubs, only two clubs, Crystal Palace (79 per cent) and AS Roma, recorded a wage bill of more than 70 per cent of total revenue.

And de Jong is apparently off to Barcelona. Tough luck for PSG. :laugh:

Note. It's not that I laugh about de Jong joining Barca, this is more about de Jong not joining PSG. Yes, this is me being petty about one of those not so financial fairplay clubs not getting their desired toy.

At the risk of inciting a complete meltdown in the Newcastle fans: 

https://www.football365.com/news/newcastle-dwarf-liverpools-growth-wheres-the-money-mike

Newcastle's revenue more than doubled last year and they are now one of the 20 richest clubs in the entire world. But their biggest transfer of all time is still Michael bloody Owen, and the second biggest is the time they set a world record to sign Alan Shearer. In 1996. 

Well its their growth that is so remarkable, but that is really based on them getting promoted and then bringing in a bunch of new sponsorship deals etc. 

Their revenue is now consistent with a lower to mid level prem side. Obviously they need to be spending more money.. but in some ways this story actually makes Ashley look good. That sickens me.

It's very convenient that whenever we are nearing the opening of a transfer window, stories about a potential takeover of Newcastle start surfacing (probably leaked by Ashley himself). It's just a ploy/excuse for not sanctioning spending. Rafa most likely walks at the end of the season and that spells bad news for Newcastle. 

Henry suspended by Monaco a couple of hours after announcing he’d placed numerous players in the reserves for putting themselves ahead of the team. It is reaching the point where relegation to Ligue 2 and the chance to start from scratch might be a good thing.

8 hours ago, mormont said:

At the risk of inciting a complete meltdown in the Newcastle fans: 

https://www.football365.com/news/newcastle-dwarf-liverpools-growth-wheres-the-money-mike

Newcastle's revenue more than doubled last year and they are now one of the 20 richest clubs in the entire world. But their biggest transfer of all time is still Michael bloody Owen, and the second biggest is the time they set a world record to sign Alan Shearer. In 1996. 

sigh

Meanwhile Tuchel is really trying to find somebody to play midfield at PSG.

I mean Neymar and Veratti are injured, Rabiot is unavailable because he refuses to sign a new contract (much to the club's disliking). As mentioned earlier he is interested in Dortmund's Weigl, Dortmund are apparently less fond interested in selling right now. So now he asked Bayern about Renato Sanches. According to the kicker Kovac has confirmed the club's interest, and his refusal to let Sanches go. Kovac quote is really something I'll give you a translation for the lolz.

It is indeed correct, that PSG was very interested in the player, and still is. However I made it clear that Renato is not leaving. I think he is doing a great job now in training camp and is delveloping nicely. I know PSG has problems in [their] midfield, but those are not our problems.

Paredes will have to do for PSG. That deal is all but done. Ancelotti also confirmed that Allan will not play against Milan due to transfer interest from PSG which has disrupted his training. The player was keen on moving but PSG were not willing to meet Napoli's asking price (said to be in excess of €100m).

ETA. reports coming through that Monaco have also sacked Emenalo. RMC claims that the reasons for the sacking are Monaco's VP feeling that he had done a poor job as well as Jardim not getting along with him. 

Arsenal 1-3 Utd.

That was a weird game, very disrupted. Quite painful I guess for Arsenal fans, with Sokratis and Koscielny both injured and replaced during the game. Damn, I realize every top6 club currently has troubles with injuries, except the two Manchester ones (albeit KDB was struggling at some point). Our top4 race appears more doable than ever.

PS: don't exactly know what happened between Lingard and the Arsenal supporters but I'm not sure who is dumber in the lot.

Archived