Iskaral Pust

Football: the winter break

At the risk of inciting a complete meltdown in the Newcastle fans: 

https://www.football365.com/news/newcastle-dwarf-liverpools-growth-wheres-the-money-mike

Newcastle's revenue more than doubled last year and they are now one of the 20 richest clubs in the entire world. But their biggest transfer of all time is still Michael bloody Owen, and the second biggest is the time they set a world record to sign Alan Shearer. In 1996. 

Edited by mormont
typo

Rafa could have them in a Europa spot for sure with just a little backing. Shame. Wonder where he will end up in the summer. 

Well its their growth that is so remarkable, but that is really based on them getting promoted and then bringing in a bunch of new sponsorship deals etc. 

Their revenue is now consistent with a lower to mid level prem side. Obviously they need to be spending more money.. but in some ways this story actually makes Ashley look good. That sickens me.

It's very convenient that whenever we are nearing the opening of a transfer window, stories about a potential takeover of Newcastle start surfacing (probably leaked by Ashley himself). It's just a ploy/excuse for not sanctioning spending. Rafa most likely walks at the end of the season and that spells bad news for Newcastle. 

Henry suspended by Monaco a couple of hours after announcing he’d placed numerous players in the reserves for putting themselves ahead of the team. It is reaching the point where relegation to Ligue 2 and the chance to start from scratch might be a good thing.

8 hours ago, mormont said:

At the risk of inciting a complete meltdown in the Newcastle fans: 

https://www.football365.com/news/newcastle-dwarf-liverpools-growth-wheres-the-money-mike

Newcastle's revenue more than doubled last year and they are now one of the 20 richest clubs in the entire world. But their biggest transfer of all time is still Michael bloody Owen, and the second biggest is the time they set a world record to sign Alan Shearer. In 1996. 

sigh

Meanwhile Tuchel is really trying to find somebody to play midfield at PSG.

I mean Neymar and Veratti are injured, Rabiot is unavailable because he refuses to sign a new contract (much to the club's disliking). As mentioned earlier he is interested in Dortmund's Weigl, Dortmund are apparently less fond interested in selling right now. So now he asked Bayern about Renato Sanches. According to the kicker Kovac has confirmed the club's interest, and his refusal to let Sanches go. Kovac quote is really something I'll give you a translation for the lolz.

It is indeed correct, that PSG was very interested in the player, and still is. However I made it clear that Renato is not leaving. I think he is doing a great job now in training camp and is delveloping nicely. I know PSG has problems in [their] midfield, but those are not our problems.

Paredes will have to do for PSG. That deal is all but done. Ancelotti also confirmed that Allan will not play against Milan due to transfer interest from PSG which has disrupted his training. The player was keen on moving but PSG were not willing to meet Napoli's asking price (said to be in excess of €100m).

ETA. reports coming through that Monaco have also sacked Emenalo. RMC claims that the reasons for the sacking are Monaco's VP feeling that he had done a poor job as well as Jardim not getting along with him. 

Edited by Consigliere

Arsenal 1-3 Utd.

That was a weird game, very disrupted. Quite painful I guess for Arsenal fans, with Sokratis and Koscielny both injured and replaced during the game. Damn, I realize every top6 club currently has troubles with injuries, except the two Manchester ones (albeit KDB was struggling at some point). Our top4 race appears more doable than ever.

PS: don't exactly know what happened between Lingard and the Arsenal supporters but I'm not sure who is dumber in the lot.

2 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Our top4 race appears more doable than ever.

Hopefully we can keep our good run going but we also could really use Spurs getting dragged into it. With all of their injuries and a thin squad, hopefully they start dropping more points. Chelsea signing Higuain should make a difference for them even if he doesn't produce his best. At the very least, with a CF that Sarri trusts, Hazard will be back to his natural position and he's the key man by far. Arsenal are in some trouble with injuries to Sokratis and Koscielny especially given that their defence is already a big problem - possibly even worse than ours. 

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Hopefully we can keep our good run going but we also could really use Spurs getting dragged into it. With all of their injuries and a thin squad, hopefully they start dropping more points. Chelsea signing Higuain should make a difference for them even if he doesn't produce his best. At the very least, with a CF that Sarri trusts, Hazard will be back to his natural position and he's the key man by far. Arsenal are in some trouble with injuries to Sokratis and Koscielny especially given that their defence is already a big problem - possibly even worse than ours. 

The injuries kill the squad, especially when you throw Bellerin in there. Oh well. Not an enjoyable team to watch or follow this season.

Edited by Mexal

I love how Utd's resurgence keeps piling on just how inept and toxic is Mourinho.  But I think they've made the point well enough for now and should return to flattering to deceive.  It was more fun when they were competing with Everton, Watford and Bournemouth.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

The injuries kill the squad, especially when you throw Bellerin in there. Oh well. Not an enjoyable team to watch or follow this season.

And Arsenal visit City on Feb 3rd.  I was hoping they'd be ready to give City a challenging game, but now it might be a walk-over.

Good day in the FA Cup with a couple of upsets - Millwall beating Everton 3-2 and Wimbledon, rock bottom of League One, pulled off the biggest upset by beating West Ham 4-2. Another struggling side from League One, Shrewsbury Town, came agonisingly close to toppling Wolves by going two goals up only to concede a 93rd minute equaliser. 

Edited by Consigliere

Since Liverpool don’t have a cup game, we get a valuable window to check on the progrss of our loanees.  

Harry Wilson at Derby (he of the dramatic knuckleball goals), Ryan Kent at Rangers and Marko Grujic at Hertha Berlin are all doing very well.  I’d like to see Wilson and Grujic in the squad as back-ups next season.  Ejaria was doing well at Rangers too but refused to stay at that club any longer (sounds like he was personally unhappy there).  Elsewhere is more hit and miss.  Herbie Kane is doing well at Doncaster, but needs to move up the divisions in his next loan.  Woodburn could not get any game time at Derby.  Ojo seems badly adrift.  And there are miscellaneous others who don’t appear to have a future at the club. 

And talking of youngsters reaching the first team, both Alexander-Arnold and Gomez are still injured and projected to miss a few more games.  The right side of our defense will be vulnerable for a while longer. 

Asking the public to pay for the search for someone who was probably on at least 50 grand a week seems a bit trashy of the family. 

First. He had only just signed that contract, and I doubt he earnt that much in France (he wasn't playing for PSG).

Second No not really, I can see how the family wants to know what happened to him, regardless of his fame and wealth. And he was probably also supporting his family back home.