New Neal Stephenson Novel: “Fall: or Dodge in Hell”

Ser Scot A Ellison

4 hours ago, Vaughn said:

That's disappointing but I think have to just accept that Neal and I have grown apart in our interests. 

'Readme' was like a Robert Ludlum book written by a guy who didn't have an editor. 

Well, I’m hoping this will be of a more philosophical bent than Reamde

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 9:40 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It appears to be a sequel to “Reamde”.

https://www.harpercollins.com/9780062458711/fall-or-dodge-in-hell/

What an odd choice for a sequel. But that's only because I thought it was easily one of his worst, most unfocused books (and that's really saying something considering most of his books are in desperate need of some good editing). Maybe it sold really, really well and I just wasn't aware?

28 minutes ago, Durckad said:

What an odd choice for a sequel. But that's only because I thought it was easily one of his worst, most unfocused books (and that's really saying something considering most of his books are in desperate need of some good editing). Maybe it sold really, really well and I just wasn't aware?

To be frank, I agree.  However, maybe it was a set up for this one?

1 hour ago, Durckad said:

In his defence, this particular one supposedly wasn't his fault: he had two seperate ideas for novels- the gamer thing and the islamic thing I believe were the two halves- and his publisher demanded that he smoosh them together because Neal Stephenson books are expected to be LONG.

This really just sounds like it takes the central character from Reamde and puts it in a whole new thing just jumping off from the electronic world background of that book, so I shouldn't think any faults in the first will manifest here. Especially since Richard was a pretty solid character I thought.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

In his defence, this particular one supposedly wasn't his fault: he had two seperate ideas for novels- the gamer thing and the islamic thing I believe were the two halves- and his publisher demanded that he smoosh them together because Neal Stephenson books are expected to be LONG.

This really just sounds like it takes the central character from Reamde and puts it in a whole new thing just jumping off from the electronic world background of that book, so I shouldn't think any faults in the first will manifest here. Especially since Richard was a pretty solid character I thought.

The gameworld story was better than the generic terrorism plot.

12 hours ago, Pecan said:

I'm reading The Baroque Cycle right now and thoroughly enjoying it.  Cryptonomicon and Anathem are my two favorites though. 

Same for me.  I mostly enjoyed his others but those five were clearly the best, and the two stand-alones were better than the Cycle.

Archived