GRRM: Some folk got it right.

hallam

“At least one or two readers had put together the extremely subtle and obscure clues that I'd planted in the books and came to the right solution."

This does not sound like confirmation of the common wisdom here.

It looks pretty clear that the show and the books are taking very different tacks in places. Is GRRM really working on Winds of Winter or was it finished some time ago and delayed because the HBO plot is different?

12 minutes ago, hallam said:

Not sure what common wisdom you are referring to here.

It looks pretty clear that the show and the books are taking very different tacks in places. Is GRRM really working on Winds of Winter or was it finished some time ago

Yes to the former, and no to the latter.

and delayed because the HBO plot is different?

I'm again a bit lost... why would Martin withhold TWoW for any reason, let alone the HBO aversion is different? 

IMO it is wishful thinking to believe he has already finished Winds (although I hope it is close). I don't believe he is playing games, once he has a date it can be released on, he will let everyone know. I don't believe the show has anything to do with that, I could see him holding back an announcement for maybe 10 days at the request of HBO, but he is not going to hold it back months. The show and book are on completely different tangents and have been for some time.

1 hour ago, hallam said:

This does not sound like confirmation of the common wisdom here.

"It is known."

Dragon terrible, moon woman wife of sun, Lamb Men lay with sheep, dead cities are best shunned, better swallow scorpions than trust shadows, great khals must seek for braver foes, bad luck to touch dead, khaleesi must have a khal, Thirteen is a bad number.

Oh and Daenerys is Azor Ahai.

gnihihihihihihi

*runs off in madness*

51 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Regarding when he said he was going to finish the next book, let’s face it; he lied.

I don't think he lied. He probably had some broader ideas but is disappointed that he hasn't been able to act on them. Hopefully he finishes the book, and its released, I'm not going to blame him should he not complete it.

wait a minute...does this mean GRRM read the forums? I thought he gave up on that a while ago

also could it mean something vague like "Daenerys sits on the throne at the end" and GRRM says "yup one or two people got it right ... but I only spent 5 minutes browsing the forums in the past 10 years"

8 hours ago, Yaya said:

sure it do:   '... one or two readers ...' 
the sum total of all the R+L=J theorists is massive

and i'm so sorry (not really) that these false believers have to create new fanfic

ha!
:cheers:

You do realise Martin is talking about the ending of the story in that interview, and not about Jon’s parentage, right?

47 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

You do realise Martin is talking about the ending of the story in that interview, and not about Jon’s parentage, right?

But don't you see? That is the whole point of the story! The secret working title of the series was actually "How I Learned About My Mother", and it will abruptly end as soon as Jon finds out that R+L=J. Preferably from Howland Reed, who will show up out of the blue in the final chapter.

Archived