Favorite books/series about elves?

leeno

6 hours ago, Astromech said:

I loved this one too.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Actually not bad for what hey are. Light fluff.

Whew... I'm glad I didn't get judged for that.  :lol:  I actually really did like them back when I read them.  But that's been nearly 25 years ago, I don't know how they stand up these days.

Watership Down if you just pretend the rabbits are elves. 

As noted above, elves aren't quite as well defined as say, vampires in terms of general fantasy writing so a lot of it ends up derivative IMO. Tolkien is obviously pretty definitive in imagining them as something more than just a different kind of faerie. 

J.R.R. Tolkien, esp. The Book of Lost Tales. Also, Smith of Wootton Major.

The Broken Sword, by Poul Anderson.

Dragonlance, well, I have a certain nostalgia for it. Not sure I would recommend it to an adult. And Dragonlance’s take on Elves is rather weak, to me. I think the most interesting portrayal of elves can be found in Dragons of Autumn Twilight and Dragons of Winter Night, plus maybe Firstborn.

Michael Moorcock’s Elric is a famous alternate/anti take on elves. I suggest trying the original sequence: the first two stories, “The Dreaming City” and “While the Gods Laugh” from The Weird of the White Wolf, followed by the next four stories which are collected in Bane of the Black Sword. If you like those, read the prequel novel Elric of Melniboné.

Archived