Doctrine of Exceptionalism

Queen Sharra Arryn (or any Westerosi noble lady) wouldn't enjoy being third wife of some foreigner conqueror. But war times (including dragons) forced her to play diplomacy games. And it is something Aegon I wouldn't accept since any born child (be boy or girl) of Sharra and him would get more support in succession from Westerosi nobility and Faith than Aenys/Aegon Uncrowned/Maegor.

43 minutes ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Queen Sharra Arryn (or any Westerosi noble lady) wouldn't enjoy being third wife of some foreigner conqueror. But war times (including dragons) forced her to play diplomacy games. And it is something Aegon I wouldn't accept since any born child (be boy or girl) of Sharra and him would get more support in succession from Westerosi nobility and Faith than Aenys/Aegon Uncrowned/Maegor.

Sharra's condition to marry Aegon was that he acknowledge her son Ronnel as his heir - she already knew or suspected, one assumes, that the great Conqueror didn't have what it took to make a woman's womb quicken...

And in that context it is also very interesting that the concept of adoption actually exists in Westeros, too. We learn that in FaB when it is suggested that Jaehaerys I marry Queen Elinor and adopt her children from her first marriage. In that sense Sharra's offer was clearly an attempt to make her children the adopted heirs of a childless Aegon the Conqueror.

Aegon's resistance to a third marriage as well as him never entertaining a mistress makes it clear he was, in the end, just as monogamous as Jaehaerys I. Visenya was his sole wife for 27 years. And the only women he ever married were his sisters, anyway. There was no intention there to open up the circle for the kind of wives Maegor married - which, in the case of Elinor, Jeyne, and especially Tyanna were not exactly suited to serve as queens.

Archived