House Velaryon MIA.

M.Alhazred

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

You know, I think I've been stuck on the Velaryon's being the Targaryen Navy so intensely for the past month or so that I completely lost focus on their fall from grace.   That fall is a little odd given Robert's propensity for forgiving so many following the Rebellion.   I will toss in that little "ships are how they make their money and livelihood" idea for spice as they were immensely successful merchants.     Like the Hightowers, I reckon.   Hard to let go of legends I suppose.   

Well they can’t have been treated too badly by Robert post Rebellion. They lost their fleet (assuming, as seems sensible, they made the bulk of the royal fleet) in a freak accident but even so managed to rebuild a small but impressive handful of war ships. Which in turn suggests they have still got a not insignificant wealth, as they could afford to outfit these ships. And they don’t seem to have lost any lands, titles or castles either. I doubt they would have enjoyed any positions as Masters of Ships during Roberts reign but they did not come off too badly.

(I wish the celtigars were as fleshed out as the Velaryons are becoming, my own personal fascination!)

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Well they can’t have been treated too badly by Robert post Rebellion. They lost their fleet (assuming, as seems sensible, they made the bulk of the royal fleet) in a freak accident but even so managed to rebuild a small but impressive handful of war ships. Which in turn suggests they have still got a not insignificant wealth, as they could afford to outfit these ships. And they don’t seem to have lost any lands, titles or castles either. I doubt they would have enjoyed any positions as Masters of Ships during Roberts reign but they did not come off too badly.

(I wish the celtigars were as fleshed out as the Velaryons are becoming, my own personal fascination!)

Actually it may not have been that small at all of the 200 ships in stannis his fleet 50 are the part of the royal fleet he took with him to Dragonstone 25 are sallador saan his ships then there are a unkown number of Myrish sellsail but at least 20 because they form at least one of the battle lines of 20 ships and possible 2, so that's 95 to possible 115 ships accounted for of the 200. So even if we only get 9 names of ships that where provided by the Lords of the Narrow sea they seem to have contributed a lot more then that.

21 minutes ago, direpupy said:

Actually it may not have been that small at all of the 200 ships in stannis his fleet 50 are the part of the royal fleet he took with him to Dragonstone 25 are sallador saan his ships then there are a unkown number of Myrish sellsail but at least 20 because they form at least one of the battle lines of 20 ships and possible 2, so that's 95 to possible 115 ships accounted for of the 200. So even if we only get 9 names of ships that where provided by the Lords of the Narrow sea they seem to have contributed a lot more then that.

I agree, the fact that out of the 9 bigger and more dangerous ships in Stannis fleet 4 are provided from House Velaryon (Pride of Driftmark, SeaHorse, Harridan and Bold Laugher)* mean their contribution was indeed relevant, since they are likely to have provided many other ships. In comparison Bar Emmon and Celtigar provided only one major ship and Sunglass and Seaworth's 3 ships were smaller (they were not listed in the 9 most powerful ships in Stannis fleet by Davos)

Since they are the most powerful of the Narrow Sea vassals, and given the ratio we are given in the capital ships, it is likely that more than half of the Narrow Sea lords contribution to Stannis cause were Velaryons

*the other five major capital ships were three of the royal fleet, Fury, Lord Steffon and Stag of the Sea, the Red Claw of house Celtigar and the Swordfish of House Bar Emmon

2 hours ago, direpupy said:

Thanks for the extra detail! Memory was a bit sketchy so I didn’t want to overestimate and just stuck with what I recalled (the major named ships). We are in agreement on the position of the Velaryons though, I think :)

2 hours ago, PrinceoftheTides said:

Since they are the most powerful of the Narrow Sea vassals, and given the ratio we are given in the capital ships, it is likely that more than half of the Narrow Sea lords contribution to Stannis cause were Velaryons

Which is historically accurate.

He was a scion of House Velaryon: a family of old and storied Valyrian heritage who had come to Westeros before the Targaryens, as the histories agree, and who often provided the bulk of the royal fleet. So many Velaryons served as lord admiral and master of ships that it was, at times, almost considered a hereditary office.

Archived