An Interesting Tidbit Project

Lady Rhodes

Hi Everyone!

I am trying a new project, and I am looking for others to help me in it.  I am calling it the Interesting Tidbit Project.  I am creating a Google Docs spreadsheet and for each book, I would like to do this.  For each page, I want to log an interesting fact or tidbit, in hopes that by gathering a multitude of these tidbits, that we find more of the hidden hints and clues that GRRM has placed for us! I picked google docs because I thought it would be more easily searchable or shareable. 

I am doing Feast currently, and I am about 200 pages in (though I just thought of my project yesterday, so I am going back and logging the tidbits now) Would anyone want to participate with Game, Clash, Storm, and Dance?

@Feather Crystal@King Aegon I Targaryen@Trefayne

10 hours ago, JNR said:

Idea: include a list of the various mysteries or puzzles here, so people know what kind of clues you're looking for... and what they might look in the docs for help with.

Excellent suggestion! I just finished doing the prologue of feast and have already gleaned some interesting things that I had not picked up on before.

1) archmaester walgrave keeps confusing Pate with a guy name Cressen - who we know was the dragonstone maester

2) in the box with the key, he had a lock of yellow hair and a knights armor that belonged to a prince he no longer remembers. Rhaegar??

On 1/3/2019 at 1:28 PM, Lady Rhodes said:

Excellent suggestion! I just finished doing the prologue of feast and have already gleaned some interesting things that I had not picked up on before.

1) archmaester walgrave keeps confusing Pate with a guy name Cressen - who we know was the dragonstone maester

2) in the box with the key, he had a lock of yellow hair and a knights armor that belonged to a prince he no longer remembers. Rhaegar??

I always thought the hair belong to Malora Hightower and this unlikely couple is the parents of Walys Flowers who had a Hightower mother and an Archmaester for a father. This also ties both Cressen and Walys to Walgrave and explains why both Starks and Baratheons were involved in Southern Ambitions, we just need information about Jon Arryn's maester* when Ned and Robert was fostered at the Vale. 

18 hours ago, Jova Snow said:

I always thought the hair belong to Malora Hightower and this unlikely couple is the parents of Walys Flowers who had a Hightower mother and an Archmaester for a father. This also ties both Cressen and Walys to Walgrave and explains why both Starks and Baratheons were involved in Southern Ambitions, we just need information about Jon Arryn's bastard when Ned and Robert was fostered at the Vale. 

Interesting! I had only connected the yellow hair and knights armor. Point of the matter, this was a tidbit that I had totally bypassed but when forced to look for something interesting on each page, I found it and thought “wait this could be very important!”

1 hour ago, Lady Rhodes said:

Interesting! I had only connected the yellow hair and knights armor. Point of the matter, this was a tidbit that I had totally bypassed but when forced to look for something interesting on each page, I found it and thought “wait this could be very important!”

Oh AFFC prologue is fascinating and i want to know who the Prince was since Walgrave doesn't remember his name I wouldn't say the Prince was Rhaegar so it could be Aegon V since he visited Old Town or even Aemon since he was at the Citadel? 

@Jova Snow I still think you'd be helpful! Even if through translation pages are a bit off (which can also happen with a variety of editions and hard versus paperback versus ebook) we will have a least a bit of a page range from which to look. 

Here is what I have so far folks:
1.Alleras is good with a bow and arrow
2.Mollander thinks that there are dragons elsewhere besides Westeros. He has to be corrected and only relunctantly concedes.
3.Silver link = healing
4.Walgrave can't bestow the iron link for ravenry, only Gormon, who is a Tyrell, was going to be the new Grand Maester until Tywin thwarted it, and accused Pate of stealing.
5.Quill and Tankard is on the Honeywine, has been for 600 years, and has been a place known for sailors and princes, acolytes and novices to visit.
6.Dragons in Asshai, dragons in Qarth...all the same tale says Mollander.  But Dany has not been in Asshai?
7.Pate is from the Westerlands
8.Alleras mentions the "dragon has three heads" - familiar with prophecy?
9.Lazy Leo calls Mollander "hopfrog"
10.Alleras' mother was a trader
11.Marwyn's nickname is the mastiff
12.there are four glass candles - one green and three black. But the way the text is written, it sounds like the citadel only has one.
13.the flame from a glass candle is weird, no shadow, doesn't flicker
14.Marwyn, according to Leo, thinks that old powers are stirring, darker things, shadows.
15.Walgrave is confusing Pate with someone named Cressen  - could Walgrave have been on Dragonstone before Cressen arrived?
16.Am i still a thief if i return it? pate wonders. refer to pg. 4, Gormon caught Pate trying to get the key
17.guildhalls line the banks of the honeywine
18.you can supposedly see the Wall from the top of the Hightower in Oldtown
19.In walgrave's box was a bag of silver stags,a yellow hair tied up in a ribbon, a painted miniature, and a knight's gaunlet that supposedly belonged to a prince but he couldn't remember who
20.there are old valyrian scrolls in the vaults of oldtown that are some of the only remaining copies in the world
21.Faceless Man killed Pate. "no one. truly" hooked nose and dense black curls
22. Blank page!
23.Aeron was on Great Wyk when he heard the news that Balon died
24.Aeron cant tell the Goodbrothers apart.
25.Aeron had never lost a drowned man
26.Ironborn babies have their heads dipped in sea water, but Aeron finds this not a true drowning.
27.Balon is dead
28.great wyk is the largest of the iron islands
29. only four of quellon greyjoy's sons lived to man hood

Just now, Lady Rhodes said:

4.Walgrave can't bestow the iron link for ravenry, only Gormon, who is a Tyrell, was going to be the new Grand Maester until Tywin thwarted it, and accused Pate of stealing.

For clarification - the only info gleaned from this page was the only Gormon can bestow the ravenry iron link and that he accused Pate of stealing.  I had recently read the chapter in Storm (I tend to grab a book and read random chapters here and there) and in that chapter, Tyrion learns that Pycelle has been restored and the reason why is that Tywin learned from Varys that the Conclave was going to make Gormon (who was a Tyrell) the Grand Maester, so Tywin thwarted the plan. Tyrion notes that Varys has little birds in the Citadel. 

It was that line that actually made me think of this project. Varys having birds in the Citadel seems like something that should/could/would be important.

@Feather Crystal At this point, simply list.  My hope is that when they are finished, they can be made readily accessible and would be a good tool for discussion.  And certainly, more than one person could do the same book because everyone will see things differently.

As you saw in the other thread, simply the mention of the knight's gauntlet, the blonde hair, and Walgrave's age became hot topics and that was just two tidbits from two pages! Imagine the treasure trove out there! 

But of course, my caveat - as you saw from my above list, while I got some interesting things, I also got some mundane. So, its a mixed bag.

2 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

@Feather Crystal At this point, simply list.  My hope is that when they are finished, they can be made readily accessible and would be a good tool for discussion.  And certainly, more than one person could do the same book because everyone will see things differently.

As you saw in the other thread, simply the mention of the knight's gauntlet, the blonde hair, and Walgrave's age became hot topics and that was just two tidbits from two pages! Imagine the treasure trove out there! 

But of course, my caveat - as you saw from my above list, while I got some interesting things, I also got some mundane. So, its a mixed bag.

Well, I had to ask, because you are entering the territory of the titled chapters, which I believe tell two tales - with the second story hidden among the parallels, metaphors, and symbolism. :ninja:

@Feather Crystal  I am really intrigued with your title chapters and who knows! Perhaps information gleaned will aid in your discoveries!

9 minutes ago, Jova Snow said:

I really liked your list, I never bothered to identify the Faceless Men/Alchemist so I learned a new thing, I am also curious what is the relationship between Florents and Hightowers - actually Florents proved to be a source of frustration for me while writing LoN/MMoL thread! 

Thank you! I try to keep an open mind - perhaps Tyrion meets Pate and realizes he doesn't have the right dialect of a westermen or something. (This is very far fetched and I don't see this happening, but my point is that you never know when a mundane fact could prove useful!)

2 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

@Feather Crystal  I am really intrigued with your title chapters and who knows! Perhaps information gleaned will aid in your discoveries!

Thank you! I try to keep an open mind - perhaps Tyrion meets Pate and realizes he doesn't have the right dialect of a westermen or something. (This is very far fetched and I don't see this happening, but my point is that you never know when a mundane fact could prove useful!)

I have been studying them for a long time. February will be my three year "anniversary" and I'm only into my ninth chapter! It's painstaking work, because it involves intensive research. I know I've probably missed a lot in the previous chapters, but I've got a long road ahead and I need to look forward.

Regarding Pate - you do realize Prologue characters are always killed off? Not sure why GRRM utilizes a disposable POV, but he gets to reveal information or insights that we don't normally receive from other characters.

In AGOT we saw the white walkers through Will's eyes. In ACOK we got Cressen, who told us histories of Stannis, Shireen, and Patchface. We also learned not to try and poison Melisandre. We had Chett in ASOS, who was one of Maester Aemon's stewards, and he was involved in a plot to mutiny. In AFFC, Pate is killed by "the alchemist" who readers suspect was a Faceless Man. The FM don't normally take lives without being paid to do so, so who wanted Pate dead, and why?. Lastly, in ADWD Varamyr taught us about skinchangers and what happens when they die.

1 hour ago, Feather Crystal said:

I have been studying them for a long time. February will be my three year "anniversary" and I'm only into my ninth chapter! It's painstaking work, because it involves intensive research. I know I've probably missed a lot in the previous chapters, but I've got a long road ahead and I need to look forward.

Regarding Pate - you do realize Prologue characters are always killed off? Not sure why GRRM utilizes a disposable POV, but he gets to reveal information or insights that we don't normally receive from other characters.

In AGOT we saw the white walkers through Will's eyes. In ACOK we got Cressen, who told us histories of Stannis, Shireen, and Patchface. We also learned not to try and poison Melisandre. We had Chett in ASOS, who was one of Maester Aemon's stewards, and he was involved in a plot to mutiny. In AFFC, Pate is killed by "the alchemist" who readers suspect was a Faceless Man. The FM don't normally take lives without being paid to do so, so who wanted Pate dead, and why?. Lastly, in ADWD Varamyr taught us about skinchangers and what happens when they die.

Oh yes, I know they always die. But it does beg the question why Pate? Then again Arya wanted to get out of Harrenhal and Jaqen killed to assist with that goal. Sometimes the kill is only to further larger goals and not the goal itself

Archived