An Interesting Tidbit Project

Lady Rhodes

I am glad I was helpful, I wonder if Howland being Jojen has some merit? What could be the reason he never left Greywater Watch again? 

Btw I was so sure Daario Naharis was a Blackfyre but after my research of Faceless Men I am thinking if Jaqen's new face was Daario since he told Arya to come with him across to Narrow Sea - who was his target at KL? Certainly not Tyrion since it was Mandon Moore who tried to kill him? 

@Feather Crystal I am not so sure about the Tower of Joy being in the Red Keep and I still think Rhaegar took Lyanna haha but you have persuaded me that there is a pattern with the title chapters and I am very interested to see how your analysis plays out.

In other news, pertaining to the Tidbit Project - my spreadsheet did not save! The horror! I am quite peeved about it and have to redo about twenty pages worth of tidbits (which requires rereading those pages). Ugh.  I think I am going to post my findings on here from now on and then later it can be compiled into a spreadsheet.

1 minute ago, Lady Rhodes said:

@Feather Crystal I am not so sure about the Tower of Joy being in the Red Keep and I still think Rhaegar took Lyanna haha but you have persuaded me that there is a pattern with the title chapters and I am very interested to see how your analysis plays out.

In other news, pertaining to the Tidbit Project - my spreadsheet did not save! The horror! I am quite peeved about it and have to redo about twenty pages worth of tidbits (which requires rereading those pages). Ugh.  I think I am going to post my findings on here from now on and then later it can be compiled into a spreadsheet.

Oh no! How awful! In the earlier days of this forum there were many times I'd comprise a long reply to someone complete with quotes etc, only to lose the entire post! There used to be like a time limit to get the post completed, or at least it felt that way.

You did read my analysis regarding my belief Maegor's Holdfast is the tower of joy?

7 minutes ago, Feather Crystal said:

Oh no! How awful! In the earlier days of this forum there were many times I'd comprise a long reply to someone complete with quotes etc, only to lose the entire post! There used to be like a time limit to get the post completed, or at least it felt that way.

You did read my analysis regarding my belief Maegor's Holdfast is the tower of joy?

I have not read that yet, but I am planning on it.

Yes, I am not pleased.

21 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I have not read that yet, but I am planning on it.

Yes, I am not pleased.

What method are you trying to use to share your spreadsheet? Are you utilizing Publish as Web Page? You may have to employ some type of service like Smartsheet, SpreadsheetLive, or Google Docs.

1 hour ago, Feather Crystal said:

What method are you trying to use to share your spreadsheet? Are you utilizing Publish as Web Page? You may have to employ some type of service like Smartsheet, SpreadsheetLive, or Google Docs.

I was using Google Docs, which is why I am surprised that I ran into this issue. I tried again, and whenever I start typing things it is "saving..." but never "saved".  I am going to have to create another spreadsheet, I think (or jot things down in a notebook, which may be a bit more reliable, but then I would have to type everything out...again.)  

Has anyone decided to join this project with the other texts? 

3 minutes ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I was using Google Docs, which is why I am surprised that I ran into this issue. I tried again, and whenever I start typing things it is "saving..." but never "saved".  I am going to have to create another spreadsheet, I think (or jot things down in a notebook, which may be a bit more reliable, but then I would have to type everything out...again.)  

Has anyone decided to join this project with the other texts? 

Sure, I'm game. Seems like it might be hard to organize and the file could get huge. Can you further explain how the spreadsheet would work?

@Feather Crystal Thank you! I'm still working on logistics on that, but will post here when I come up with something more concrete.  What I have so far is basically this format:
3 columns
Column 1: page #
Column 2: Tidbit/fact.  I try to limit it to only the tidbit, with very little commentary. Though you can see in my previous post on this thread, I did add a little question or thought occasionally, which I tried to keep brief. 
Column 3: Narrator of that POV

I'm trying to keep it simple. If we get into writing paragraphs about how this applies to this theory or that theory, I think we will get so bogged down that it becomes unhelpful and incomplete.  I think it will be more productive in the long run if we just put the page number, what we thought was interesting, and, if needed, a small note for future thought.  

This could be done, then, in a number of ways.  A simple notebook would suffice if one preferred, or an excel spreadsheet or a Google Doc.  If needed, I will create a blog on blogspot or wordpress, something free and accessible, that we can then post the link to on here.

Something that may also prove to be helpful is noting the edition you are using, and whether hardback, paper, or ebook.  It may help with any discrepancies (my book says page 7 but yours says page 9, etc)

1 hour ago, Lady Rhodes said:

@Feather Crystal Thank you! I'm still working on logistics on that, but will post here when I come up with something more concrete.  What I have so far is basically this format:
3 columns
Column 1: page #
Column 2: Tidbit/fact.  I try to limit it to only the tidbit, with very little commentary. Though you can see in my previous post on this thread, I did add a little question or thought occasionally, which I tried to keep brief. 
Column 3: Narrator of that POV

I'm trying to keep it simple. If we get into writing paragraphs about how this applies to this theory or that theory, I think we will get so bogged down that it becomes unhelpful and incomplete.  I think it will be more productive in the long run if we just put the page number, what we thought was interesting, and, if needed, a small note for future thought.  

This could be done, then, in a number of ways.  A simple notebook would suffice if one preferred, or an excel spreadsheet or a Google Doc.  If needed, I will create a blog on blogspot or wordpress, something free and accessible, that we can then post the link to on here.

Something that may also prove to be helpful is noting the edition you are using, and whether hardback, paper, or ebook.  It may help with any discrepancies (my book says page 7 but yours says page 9, etc)

How about book, chapter, then page number? 

• 2 weeks later...

Is it okay if I post some interesting quotes/facts from the AGOT prologue? 

Will is from the Riverlands - since we don't know who are Mallisters at first I didn't realize where Will was originally from. 

"Dead men don't sing." And "Don't believe anything the woman who suckled you said, there are things you can learn from the dead." made me curious what Jon's wetnurse knows about his origins and if she ever told him about the mother he didn't have? 

Will saw a greenseer who was dead along with the group of Wildlings. Was that greenseer human like BR and Bran or a CofF? 

I must admit rereading while focusing on interesting parts is really fun :) 

@Jova Snow Please do! I am just now getting back into the project (my mom got my hubby Fire and Blood for Christmas, which I promptly confiscated and just finished reading!)

Those are interesting tidbits for sure!  And I am glad you are finding enjoyment in the project! It takes longer, I've found, but I am also finding that it is forcing me to really analyze and think about what I am reading, leading to these fantastic finds!

@St Daga since you indicated interest!

New tidbits!

the rest of Aeron’s chapter 

30. It was dark when he reached Hammerhorn 

31. Euron has returned

32 earn doesn’t think Greenland law should apply to the Iron Islands

33 if someone is drowned, no blood she’s

34 he dreams of his dead brother Urri and a rusted hinge

35 women are made to fight their battles in the birthing bed 

36 aerons speech - yet a king will come again for what is dead may never die but rises again harder and stronger. A king will rise! - could this actually be a prophecy?

37 Victarion is dutiful and obedient

38 the truth is in our bones - allusion to crypts in winterfell?

39 people try to call him king but he declines king ship

40 naggas hill on old wyk for kingsmoot 

41 the cries for a kingsmoot are very loud 

Areo

42 maester caleotte is Doran’s maester 

43 obara is the oldest sand snake

44 areo is from norvos 

45 caleotte has been a maester so long for house martell that he served Doran’s mother

46 Obara wants to take oldtown - why?

47 Oberyn and Doran talked of Oberyn’s plans for Kong’s Landing 

48 Doran decides to return to sunspaer

49 Doran has been at the water gardens for two years

50 Doran and Elia were 9 years apart and Doran and Oberyn ten

51 and 52 (quote is split between pages) Norris has three bells - noom narrah and nyel 

53 Doran has favorites at the water garden - the Dalt boy, lady blackmonts brood, and a round faced orphan girl

54 nymeria is 25

55 Nymeria had a bird from Ser Daemon regarding the poison used on Gregor - who is ser daemon?

56 Doran gave Oberyn a mission when he left - take measure of boy king and his council, take note of strengths and weaknesses, find out what he could about Elia, and find allies.

57 sunspear is on the Eastern most jut surrounded on three sides by water

58 the people of sunspear are angry!

59 Adrianne is short like her mother

60 tyene’s mother was a septa

61 Oberyn discussed with tyene about crowning myrcella before he left

62 dorniah law will always rule in dorne 

63 Doran thought and asked about his guards loyalty before ordering the sand snakes to be imprisoned

64 sarella is 20 and not in Dorne. Is playing a ...game - Doran’s phrasing makes me think that he knows what she is doing but he is not sure what to call it?

On 1/25/2019 at 9:30 AM, Lady Rhodes said:
On 1/25/2019 at 1:22 AM, Jova Snow said:

Bran I when Robb and Jon races before finding pups Jon starts the race early but Robb finds the pups so Robb is the better rider between the two.

Interesting observation!

Robb is given credit for finding the pups, and this is from Jon's own mouth, but I am not sure that means that Robb won the race. I have always thought it could indicate that Robb's connection with Grey Wind started first, which drew him to the direwolf and her pups. The pups are found off the road, down a snowy and drifted embankment and down by a river.  Ned makes Bran dismount and go by foot, so the ground must be uneven, so it seems unlikely that Jon and Robb raced down there. I figured the pups were found after the race was won. Robb still might have won the race (he does have hints of Brandon about him and Brandon was noted for his excellent riding skills) but Robb claiming his pup first might indicate a warg bond that started before his brothers bonds with their direwolves.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:02 PM, Lady Rhodes said:

55 Nymeria had a bird from Ser Daemon regarding the poison used on Gregor - who is ser daemon?

I think this is Daemon Sand, the Bastard of Godsgrace. He was Oberyn's squire and is now Arianne's sworn shield.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:02 PM, Lady Rhodes said:

36 aerons speech - yet a king will come again for what is dead may never die but rises again harder and stronger. A king will rise! - could this actually be a prophecy?

Interesting idea!! And rise almost indicates something coming from either under the water or under the ground. 

2 hours ago, St Daga said:

Robb is given credit for finding the pups, and this is from Jon's own mouth, but I am not sure that means that Robb won the race. I have always thought it could indicate that Robb's connection with Grey Wind started first, which drew him to the direwolf and her pups. The pups are found off the road, down a snowy and drifted embankment and down by a river.  Ned makes Bran dismount and go by foot, so the ground must be uneven, so it seems unlikely that Jon and Robb raced down there. I figured the pups were found after the race was won. Robb still might have won the race (he does have hints of Brandon about him and Brandon was noted for his excellent riding skills) but Robb claiming his pup first might indicate a warg bond that started before his brothers bonds with their direwolves.

But Robb never seemed to have a bond with Greywind? Like Jon with Ghost - he heard the pup even though Ghost never makes a sound? 

21 hours ago, Jova Snow said:

But Robb never seemed to have a bond with Greywind? Like Jon with Ghost - he heard the pup even though Ghost never makes a sound?

I think part of why this might be questionable is because Robb doesn't have a POV, but I think there is plenty in the text to let us know that Robb and Grey Wind have the same kind of bond that all the Stark kids do with their direwolves. Early in the story, Robb tells Catelyn that Bran must hear the wolves sing, because he knows it will make Bran stronger. Grey Wind seems to herd a young Rickon in the godswood, perhaps in place of Robb, who is acting Lord of Winterfell by this time. Jon notes that Robb seems stronger, to have grown, and Grey Wind is at his side, which I think is because of the connection that Robb and Grey Wind share. Then there is that odd incident at Winterfell with Tyrion, when Robb is the one who is angry with the Lannisters, but all three direwolves seem to attack Tyrion. Rickon has no reason to be upset, and Bran is actually pleased because Tyrion has given him the saddle plans.  Later, Robb can tell that Grey Wind is restless, and even wonders how much he can talk to Bran about, but is unsure, because of his age and understanding. This is when Robb expresses how much he wishes to see see Jon, and makes plans to take Bran to the wall. I think this is Robb showing how he would like to talk to Jon, perhaps about the bond they all might share with their wolves. When they are out hunting, Robb seems to instinctively know the wolves have made a kill, and can some how find them with relative ease. And then there is the incident with the Greatjon, when Grey Wind attacks and takes the fingers off of the Greatjon, which I think demonstrates either a warg bond, or at least Grey Wind sensing that Robb needed protected. Those are just the incidents I think are given in Game, but each book has more hints about Robb and Grey Wind.

I do agree that Jon being able to find a silent Ghost pup is indication of the warg bond between Jon and his pup very early, but I think it's there with Robb, too, and might have been the first bond among the pack. Of course, all of these incidents could be debated!

2 hours ago, St Daga said:

I think part of why this might be questionable is because Robb doesn't have a POV, but I think there is plenty in the text to let us know that Robb and Grey Wind have the same kind of bond that all the Stark kids do with their direwolves. Early in the story, Robb tells Catelyn that Bran must hear the wolves sing, because he knows it will make Bran stronger. Grey Wind seems to herd a young Rickon in the godswood, perhaps in place of Robb, who is acting Lord of Winterfell by this time. Jon notes that Robb seems stronger, to have grown, and Grey Wind is at his side, which I think is because of the connection that Robb and Grey Wind share. Then there is that odd incident at Winterfell with Tyrion, when Robb is the one who is angry with the Lannisters, but all three direwolves seem to attack Tyrion. Rickon has no reason to be upset, and Bran is actually pleased because Tyrion has given him the saddle plans.  Later, Robb can tell that Grey Wind is restless, and even wonders how much he can talk to Bran about, but is unsure, because of his age and understanding. This is when Robb expresses how much he wishes to see see Jon, and makes plans to take Bran to the wall. I think this is Robb showing how he would like to talk to Jon, perhaps about the bond they all might share with their wolves. When they are out hunting, Robb seems to instinctively know the wolves have made a kill, and can some how find them with relative ease. And then there is the incident with the Greatjon, when Grey Wind attacks and takes the fingers off of the Greatjon, which I think demonstrates either a warg bond, or at least Grey Wind sensing that Robb needed protected. Those are just the incidents I think are given in Game, but each book has more hints about Robb and Grey Wind.

I do agree that Jon being able to find a silent Ghost pup is indication of the warg bond between Jon and his pup very early, but I think it's there with Robb, too, and might have been the first bond among the pack. Of course, all of these incidents could be debated!

You present good points for your argument I never paid much attention to a bond with Robb and Grey Wind because other Wolf pairings of Jon/Arya/Bran were more out there and when author is dropping clues for Red Wedding he shows Robb's bound with his Wolf to be a weak one since Catelyn can understand who wolf likes or dislikes? Or maybe this is the fault of having a Catelyn POV? 

Archived