Great Houses - Valyrian Steel Sword Names?

LucionLannister

Just random curiosity; of the nine great houses, what do you think they would name their hypothetical Valyrian steel swords?

I mean we know some:

Stark: Ice / Longclaw.

Lannister: Brightroar.

Targaryen: Blackfyre. 

But the others?

Martell(Something sun related?)? Baratheon? Tyrell (Thorn?)? Tully? Arryn? Greyjoy?

55 minutes ago, PrinceoftheTides said:

Targayens had two Valyrian swords, the other one was Dark Sister

Targaryens had three, one for each. Visenya's was lost with her and her dragon over Dorne.

Tarly: Heartsbane

Mormont: the original Longclaw

Lannister: Ice now becomes Oathkeeper and Widow's Whinge (or some other moronic name assigned by the idiot Joffrey)

The Dayne sword "Dawn" wasn't Valyrian steel, but some other mystical substance, forged from a fallen star (if nickel-iron, I'm surprised they actually could reforge it).

For more details and swords, please see this site:

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Valyrian_steel

2 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

@zandru

The Targs had two swords, not three. And Rhaenys was the one that died in Dorne, not Visenya. 

You're right about Rhaenys, of course. I'm doubtful that she didn't have a sword, Valyrian steel or otherwise. It just seems out of character. Yet I haven't seen any reference to it. Since Rhaenys perished at Hellholt, that's likely where any sword she might have had would have ended up.

2 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

In general, the swords would be named to flatter the family.  Just think if Walder Frey had one.  Crannogkiller.  

I'm thinking more like "Tolltaker". Or "Pay More". Maybe "Gimme."

8 hours ago, zandru said:

Targaryens had three, one for each. Visenya's was lost with her and her dragon over Dorne.

Tarly: Heartsbane

Mormont: the original Longclaw

Lannister: Ice now becomes Oathkeeper and Widow's Whinge (or some other moronic name assigned by the idiot Joffrey)

The Dayne sword "Dawn" wasn't Valyrian steel, but some other mystical substance, forged from a fallen star (if nickel-iron, I'm surprised they actually could reforge it).

For more details and swords, please see this site:

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Valyrian_steel

There is no mention of Rhaenys ever having a VS sword.

I have a different take or idea rather, that the VS swords in Westeros may have been "assigned" to the descendants of the original Hero Companions.  Names like Lamentation or Red Rain could fit if the name relates to the deeds of those original heroes.  Nightfall would have had some role in the advent of the Long Night just as Dawn would have had some role in ending the Long Night.   Heartsbane or Lady Forlorn could relate to the stabbing of Nissa Nissa.  Truth and Vigilance, well that's pretty clear.  Ditto Ice.  A name like Longclaw in such a mysterious family suspected of being skin changers could indicate the role they played as well.   Orphan Maker is more of a war cry, like Widow's Wail, but in light of Craster's sacrifices I would not just write it off as a war cry.    It's not unlikely OM played some major part in killing the adult human agents of the Others.  The names of the swords are very interesting and I do expect Widow's Wail will be renamed once it is in the possession of it's ultimate wielder.   Half of the swords are missing and we know that Tywin attempted to purchase 3 swords from 3 impoverished houses.    Nothing says those houses did not change the names, but even that scalliwag Unwin Peake, kept the name Orphan Maker.   The names of these swords may be as much of their legend as the men or women who possessed them.      

I think they bought them. Dragonstone, Craw Islands and Driftmark were part of Valyrian dominions so they could easily have also acted also as trade bases for some goods.

If not those islands, which were effectively founded as military outposts, Pentos, Myr and Tyrosh were all valyrian satellite states quite easy to reach from Westeros for trade purposes and also Braavos after the unmasking was a major commercial partner of the Freehold and the closer city to the North and the Vale

12 hours ago, Marcelowww said:

I know that sounds like a dumb question: but how the houses of Westeros got that Valyrian Swords?

We know the Starks and Lannisters commissioned their swords, but that's about it.   The Targs had their swords when they left Valyria.  It's not a dumb question at all considering half of the swords are missing and at least 3 of them reside with impoverished houses.   We know there is a curse associated with Lannister gold and the fall of Valyria.    If you look at the original placement that we have any information at all about there were 2 in the North (Longclaw & Ice), 2 in the Vale (Lamentation & Lady Forlorn) , 2 in the Reach (Vigilance & Heartsbane), 2 in the Crownlands (or Dragonstone, originally--Blackfyre & Dark Sister) , 2 in the Westerlands (Red Rain & Brightroar) and Orphan Maker in The Ring, where I'm not really sure falls in the Reach, Marches or Stormlands.    It's interesting placement with mostly interesting families.   Note that there were no VS originally on the Iron Islands (where 2 reside in current story), Riverlands (at least 1 in current story in play) or Dorne, where Dawn (markedly NOT VS) presumably resides.    I personally think there is a thing with the placement of the swords, but that's not confirmed by any means.   The math and geography related to the swords is fascinating.   

On 1/3/2019 at 3:34 AM, LucionLannister said:

Just random curiosity; of the nine great houses, what do you think they would name their hypothetical Valyrian steel swords?

I mean we know some:

Stark: Ice / Longclaw.

Lannister: Brightroar.

Targaryen: Blackfyre. 

But the others?

Martell(Something sun related?)? Baratheon? Tyrell (Thorn?)? Tully? Arryn? Greyjoy?

Greyjoy had a Valyrian Steel sword, Nightfall. Somehow it has ended up in the hands of House Harlaw, maybe something to do with the intermarriages with the House.

Martell: Sunspear is a bit too on the nose as a name although a Spear might be preferred to a sword, not to mention cheaper. I would call it Unbroken.

Baratheon: Stormbreaker would be a badass name for a badass sword.

Tyrell: Silverthorn

Tully: Insert some kind of Fish pun here.

Arryn: Talon

• 3 weeks later...

Thats the thing, most of Westeros' great houses dont have a VS sword.  The Tully's dont have one, neither do the Greyjoys or Tyrells (which is odd because their bannermen do.  The Baratheon's also dont have a VS weapon, nor the Martells. There are reasons for that though, the Tully's weren't exactly prominent lords at any point.  They were never kings of the Rivers and Hills like the Mudd's or Justman's.  The Greyjoys werent the ruler of the Iron Islands and the weapons owned by their bannermen were likely stolen in raids.  The Tyrells were stewards so thats why they dont have one though its possible that House Gardener had one that was destroyed during the Field of Fire.  The Baratheon's dont have one and Im not sure why.  I would imagine that if house Durrandon had one Orys would've claimed it like he did everything else but there is no mention of that.  The Martell's only became the dominant family in Dorne after the Rhoynar came over so they werent prominent enough to have one and I dont see Nymeria going looking for one given her history with Valyria.  House Arryn also doesnt have one though House Royce did but it was lost during the Dance of Dragons.  What I dont understand is how a house as notoriously poor as House Mormont has one, but other more prominent houses with long histories do not (Florent, Lefford, Rowan, etc.)

I could see House Arryn owning a VS sword. I could have gone unmentioned so far: they were ruled by a boy during the conquest and a woman during the Dance of Dragons. And in the main series, little Robert and Lysa wouldn't have any use for it.

There are other houses you mention that could own a VS sword: Rowan, Redwyne, Tarth, Estermont, Yronwood, ...

The Rogares had Truth, the Tarlys have Heartsbane, the Royces had Lamentation, the Hightowers have/had Vigilance. It's unlikely the Tyrells ever had one as mere stewards at the time of the Doom of Valyria, with the Tullys also being mediocre in rank at the time. I guess the Baratheons could have reasonably had one inherited from the Durrandons, and the Arryns and Martells, too, but these may have been lost in the Century of Blood.

On 1/3/2019 at 2:34 AM, LucionLannister said:

Tyrell = Oak ( from Gardener )

Martell =  Unburnt

Arryn = Moonrise

Greyjoy = Iron

Baratheon = Godsgrief (from Durrandon)

Tully = Streamer 

House Velaryon =  High Tide

Archived