Wyman Manderly warships

26 minutes ago, Gerold the Great said:

When Davos visited White Harbor he noticed 23 war galleys and later Wyman claims to have as many more hidden up in White Knife. 

What is he going to do with those ships? 

I know they are for war but can he actually battle Redwyne fleet with hope of success? 

Noone can defeat the Mighty Redwyne Fleet.

Maybe except Euron.

1 minute ago, Gerold the Great said:

I doubt that even Euron can, since dromonds and other redwyne warships are much larger and stronger than ironborn longships. 

There is theory that Euron will bait Redwynes with lesser fleet in the Redwyne Straits only to attack them suddenly from both sides.  It is almost given that Euron will survive at least upcoming battle. He is currently one of the most dangerous people in Westeros, with various magical artifacts in his possession.

I assume that they are needed to fight against pirates, raiders and slavers. For instance 3 sisters has long history about piracy and "for some reason" prices and demand of new slaves has risen in Essos.

There is also fact that now the North is very weak, so chances that some pirates or slavers will try to make some easy money is very high.

9 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

There is theory that Euron will bait Redwynes with lesser fleet in the Redwyne Straits only to attack them suddenly from both sides.  It is almost given that Euron will survive at least upcoming battle. He is currently one of the most dangerous people in Westeros, with various magical artifacts in his possession.

That idea is taken from battle in which Stannis attacked iron fleet in straits of Fair island, but in this case that is not possible, because Redwyne straits are much larger and as such you need great number of ships to cover both sides. 

9 minutes ago, Loose Bolt said:

I assume that they are needed to fight against pirates, raiders and slavers. For instance 3 sisters has long history about piracy and "for some reason" prices and demand of new slaves has risen in Essos.

There is also fact that now the North is very weak, so chances that some pirates or slavers will try to make some easy money is very high.

Ahhahhahahhahha. There is not much money to be stolen in the north.

Just now, Gerold the Great said:

I really doubt that they are building ships for Jon Snow. 

I told you what they will be used for. If you want to know why they were built, that was because Robb wanted to have a fleet to use in the war, and long term to protect his new kingdom from attacks by sea and potential trade blockades.

15 minutes ago, The Coconut God said:

I told you what they will be used for. If you want to know why they were built, that was because Robb wanted to have a fleet to use in the war, and long term to protect his new kingdom from attacks by sea and potential trade blockades.

I am not seer so I can't predict that Stannis will fail to protect the North from WW but, I do know that Manderly fleet can not put a fight with Lannister-Tyrell alliance , as for the pirates why are they building it now. They could have done it way earlier in history. 

And what normal pirate will be doing in North!

18 minutes ago, Gerold the Great said:

I am not seer so I can't predict that Stannis will fail to protect the North from WW but, I do know that Manderly fleet can not put a fight with Lannister-Tyrell alliance , as for the pirates why are they building it now. They could have done it way earlier in history. 

And what normal pirate will be doing in North!

Robb clearly had a reason, because he was the one who ordered Manderly to build him a fleet. The North probably traded with some the Free cities, selling lumber and buying food for the winter. Robb would have needed his own fleet to protect his trading ships if the North was to become an independent kingdom.

6 minutes ago, The Coconut God said:

Robb clearly had a reason, because he was the one who ordered Manderly to build him a fleet. The North probably traded with some the Free cities, selling lumber and buying food for the winter. Robb would have needed his own fleet to protect his trading ships if the North was to become an independent kingdom.

Robb didn't order those ships to be built but lord Wyman mentioned it, at winterfell harvest feast while Robb was away in Riverlands. And I already told you that if north was to protect it's trade why are they building ships now. 

11 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

1. Capture 1000 people

2. Sell them slaves to Essos

3. Enjoy your profits or do step 1 again

Or  just raid and suck White Harbor => profit

You can capture much more of that in other kingdoms , not to mention more gold and much more food , if I was pirate I would raide Westerlands and Reach and not poor , wide , stone , cold , tinny populated north. 

2 hours ago, Gerold the Great said:

You can capture much more of that in other kingdoms , not to mention more gold and much more food , if I was pirate I would raide Westerlands and Reach and not poor , wide , stone , cold , tinny populated north. 

That’s a much longer and thus more dangerous voyage though.

eta; potentially, depending where you start

3 hours ago, Gerold the Great said:

Other kingdoms had navies. For instance Vale has navy at Gulltown and it was also protected by Royal and Velaryon navies. Those navies also protected Stormland. Reach has major navies in Arbor and Old Town and also many of their houses had their own warships. Westland had major Lannister and Farman navies and also some minor houses had warships. So without their own warships the North is much easier prey than other kingdoms.

On 1/5/2019 at 12:06 AM, Gerold the Great said:

When Davos visited White Harbor he noticed 23 war galleys and later Wyman claims to have as many more hidden up in White Knife. 

What is he going to do with those ships? 

I know they are for war but can he actually battle Redwyne fleet with hope of success? 

Smuggle Grampa Rick out of Skagos dimension.

On 1/5/2019 at 7:09 PM, Loose Bolt said:

Other kingdoms had navies. For instance Vale has navy at Gulltown and it was also protected by Royal and Velaryon navies. Those navies also protected Stormland. Reach has major navies in Arbor and Old Town and also many of their houses had their own warships. Westland had major Lannister and Farman navies and also some minor houses had warships. So without their own warships the North is much easier prey than other kingdoms.

You don’t think Maege ferried her horse on poleboats do you or that they used fishing boats to carry men to Skagos to put down the rebellion? Northern lords Obviously still have some ships, it’s just that Starks do not have a fleet mighty enough to take the fight to Ironborn or the Andals.

Would those ships of one northern house been enough to stop pirate lords like Salladhor Saan? When his fleet still included 29 ships.

For instance navy of house Mallister had only half dozen longboats and couple real warships and that house is almost certainly richer than any northern house that still worships Old Gods . Or at least they have more liquid assets than any real northern house. Manderlys are still richer but they are exception. So I am almost certain that any northern fleet that does not belong to house Manderly is very weak.

Archived